HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Share | 

The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Panthers
Administrator

PostSubject: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:46 am

Australia v England
5th Test @ SCG
January 3 - January 7
Australia (probable): 1 Shane Watson, 2 Phil Hughes, 3 Usman Khawaja, 4 Michael Clarke (capt), 5 Mike Hussey, 6 Steve Smith, 7 Brad Haddin (wk), 8 Mitchell Johnson, 9 Peter Siddle, 10 Michael Beer, 11 Ben Hilfenhaus/Doug Bollinger

England (probable): 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Alastair Cook, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Paul Collingwood, 6 Ian Bell, 7 Matt Prior (wk), 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 Graeme Swann, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 James Anderson
---
Congrats to Michael Clarke on becoming our 43rd Test captain. Hopefully he can step up and prove to the Australian supporters he is the right man for the job when the time comes to appoint our next skipper. Also good luck to Khawaja and Beer. I think most would agree Khawaja was the next batsman in line for a Test debut. And whilst I don't agree with the Beer selection over Hauritz, I hope the bloke does well (if given the chance).

As for the Test it's a tough one to tip. Considering how rubbish our top order have performed this series 2-2 would be a decent result and it would be enjoyable to spoil the Poms celebrations and obviously get the year off to a top start.

C'mon Aussies!!! Grin

Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:58 am

England win this for two reasons.

Australias top order - When you've got Steve Smith as an "out and out" batsman you're going to stuggle at test level. Add in an out of form Captain and a debutant I honestly can't see Australia adding the extra 150 runs needed to produce a decent first innings total.

Michael Beer - Although he hasn't been confirmed in the 12 yet, i'd be suprised if Australia made the same mistake they made at the MCG. So from being picked the 12 based on his local knowlage of the WACCA he's about to make his test debut on a ground he's never played on before in his life.

England by 9 wickets/200 runs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cynic
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:00 am

What he said. Unless they're given several boots up the arse, our top order will continue to be shit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:10 am

3-1 please Grin.

Winning the Ashes with the score at 2-2 would ruin it. Im sure Flower and Strauss will have the boys pumped up and ready to go for this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
carlton12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:19 pm

I really hope we can level the series here, a 3-1 result would be a huge embarassment.

Good luck to Beer and especially Khawaja, I really hope Khawaja can really impress in Sydney.

Cmon Aussie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:14 am

Uzzy Uzzy Uzzy! Oi Oi Oi!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:22 am

Been a fan of Khawaja since 2008 when he hit two double-tons for NSW Cool

So many people have jumped on Khawaja's bandwagon since as he's made more and more headlines, but it's clear why, he's just so talented and I bloody hope he isn't in the side just to fill in for this Test, but that he stays. When (and if) Ponting comes back I hope Usman replaces Smith in the side...not a big fan of him TBH, they say he's in the side as a batsman when we have a handful of genuine batsman who are better than him.

Anyway good start, disappointing to lose Hughes just before lunch - looked set to go on to a big score - but we'll be in a great position if Watson and Khawaja can stick around until at least tea. Already a much better performance from our top order than what we've seen for the rest of this series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 am

Sibs#12 wrote:

Were you at the game watching? Just curious.

Certainly looks in good touch, Watto is still there that's what matters. Sick of Heals giving him shit over his scoring rate, it's test cricket buddy he'll eventually find his feet and pick up the rate. 1 down at Stumps would be great Very Happy

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:54 am

First saw Khawaja bat in 2008 at North Sydney Oval, went there with a few mates. I forget what he got but I'm pretty sure it was around 50.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:02 am

Beckham wrote:
Sibs#12 wrote:

Were you at the game watching? Just curious.
Nah but been checking up reguarly on his scores since, he got pretty big coverage (for a player in the Second XI) at the time here in Sydney, but not many people paid real attention until he got called up for the tour against Pakistan and the media started loving him with the constant articles/news stories etc. Then again, seeing as he's from here, he'd generally get more attention as he racks up the scores for NSW than he would in other states, so that's probably why.

Disappointing to see Watto get out, he was playing well, just pushed at the wrong ball though. 2/111 at tea is pretty good, slow-ish run rate but it's picking up a bit and obviously we don't need to rush, that's more likely to get us into trouble than anything. Plus the outfield isn't that quick.

Even though I don't like him as captain, I hope Clarke gets a good score to boost his confidence. Always good seeing the NSW boys do well and obviously it would help Australia if he did.

Khawaja and Clarke getting a 200-run partnership, with a century each, is probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:19 am

Fairly even day so far for me.
Khawaja looks classy though, F*** Ponting off for good and keep him in at 3 Razz. I do wish theyd leave his family alone in the stands though lol, you can see they dont want to be on the TV every 2nd ball but theyve gone along with it alright to give them credit.
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 am

Swann finally got a wicket in the first over of his spell. I'm suprised Ch9 haven't said anything yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaneSwan#36
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:50 am

Khawaja gone Sad

Well done to Khawaja, got a good start but just couldn't continue it. With more experience that will come for sure though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-109-0-0-0
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 am

Very mature innings, he was so composed that you would be mistaken for thinking he was playing a Shield game. Left the good balls, hit the bad ones, and played some good shots. That's what cricket fans like to see, he didn't let the occasion overcome him and played some great cricket. Deserves to keep his chin up, Usman played very well, disappointing he couldn't at least get a 50 which I don't think anyone would have begrudged him.

4/134 isn't the best situation to be in but if some of the batsman can convert their starts, we'll be right. Rain hasn't helped but both teams have been affected by that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Svoerman
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:11 am

The Rain has helped England alot.

Slowed the outfield down and brought life to the pitch, they wouldn't be complaining about the rain at all.

If you were to be honest Khawaja played a very stupid shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Tank
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 am

Well done Usman. He was off with a bang but kept his head and didn't get too carried away with the start he had. Looks alright coming in at no.3 too.

Crap shot from Hughes, but to his credit he had done pretty well up to that stage. Probably a bit of inexperience that got him out. It looked like he was playing with more grit and valued his wicket more than he has in previous tests...that's the way I saw it anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carlton12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 pm

So disappointing that Hughes lost his wicket just before lunch. Going in at no wickets down would've been great. It was a shit shot from Hughes there though, he didn't need to play at it.

Usi! Even though he scored only 37 it was a very encouraging and mature performance by a young man. He hit the bad balls away and left the good ones. He didn't look like someone who was making their debut, he looked extremely calm and composed.

Bloody hell Pup, if he doesn't make runs in the 2nd innings then he might find himself our of the side.

Hopefully Hadds and Huss can take us through to Lunch at least. Cmon Aussie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 am

Haddin did nothing, went for 6. Mr Cricket put on a decent 33 but was undone by some smart bowling from Paul Collingwood. Steve Smith just falls for 18 caught off Anderson. Aussie look to be in a lot of trouble. Mitchell Johnson sitting on 6 Siddle new to the crease. Aussie 187/7

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DaneSwan#36
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:26 am

Brilliant stuff by Johnson and Hilfy for a beautiful partnership which has got us back in the game you can say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-109-0-0-0
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 am

That six from Hilfy off Bresnan was all class, no doubt he was just going for it but he timed it perfectly, went flying! Clearly Bresnan wasn't too impressed.

Beer must be a terrible batsman haha, he played some ridiculous shots, dunno why he played at half of them, but stuck around and got a handy 2* which will look good for him on debut I spose.

In the end, 280 is a good total considering we were something like 8/180, but it's pretty poor that we had to rely on Johnson and Hilfenhaus to get us up there...they did really well though. I think a good score would've been 350+ so we're gonna need to bowl well, hopefully the conditions are similar to what England have been bowling in, and we can get plenty of movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
a_F_c
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 am

If it wasnt for Hussey and the tail this series would look even more uglier for Australia than it already does. Again weve let them get 60-70 more runs than I wouldve liked. Very frustrating.

0/21 England, Strauss is on 13 and Cook 8. Confortable start.
Back to top Go down
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 am

Sibs#12 wrote:
Beer must be a terrible batsman haha, he played some ridiculous shots, dunno why he played at half of them, but stuck around and got a handy 2* which will look good for him on debut I spose.

Nah he's world class we're just batting him down the order lol.. He's number 11 for a reason, tbh he didn't really look troubled out their and Hilfy had a great chance to go on for abit longer as he showed he isn't a total bunny.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neil21
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 am

Strauss has just been bowled by a peach by Hilfy
Almost unplayable
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:03 am

Beckham wrote:
Sibs#12 wrote:

Nah he's world class we're just batting him down the order lol.. He's number 11 for a reason,
tbh he didn't really look troubled out their and Hilfy had a great chance to go on for abit longer as he showed he isn't a total bunny.
cyclops

That's pretty obvious, but he looks woeful even for a number 11, terrible shot selection, but as I said he stuck around which was really all that was required.

Anyway great start for the Poms, Johnson has been bowling pretty poor, good ball from Hilfy though. Needed to get Strauss out, he was flying, 60 off 58 or something, good effort. Need to take another few now and gain some good momentum.

EDIT: Trott gone, bowled Johnson! Good way to shut me up haha, good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:06 am

LOL at Michael Beer

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test   

Back to top Go down

The Ashes: Australia v England - 5th Test
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Cricket :: Matchday-
Jump to:  
Private forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum