Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Empty
PostSubject: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 5:27 am

Mentioned in the Northland Wellington game today that Alby Mathewson could be on the move to Auckland to play for the Blues. Seems he's hunting for a starting spot. Weepu will be in the halfback spot for the Hurricanes next season, unlike last season where he spent a lot of the time at Fly Half. With Willie Ripia in good from so far this Air NZ Cup and Aaron Cruden coming to the Hurricanes, it seems they will be the first five choices with possibly Daniel Kirkpatrick in there as well.

As much as I like having Alby at the Hurricanes, I think it would benefit him a lot if he makes the move, he should definitely get the start over Moa. Sitting on the bench all the time isn't going to give him a decent shot at proving himself All Black quality.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:58 am

It would be a big blow to the Canes to lose a player of Alby's calibre - and he could learn a lot more from working under Weepu. Plus the tactic of moving to another province for more game time was already done with Elliot and backfired quite dramatically.

If he did go then I reckon Aaron Smith from Manawatu should be the next cab off the rank for the Canes.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Quote :
Wellington rugby is full of movement - both on the field and off.

The 41-7 trouncing of Northland in Whangarei yesterday was Wellington's third successive bonus-point victory and the Lions remain third with two rounds of the NPC to play.

And one of the architects of Wellington's resurgence, livewire halfback Alby Mathewson, has confirmed he will play for the Blues next season.

With Piri Weepu standing in his way at the Hurricanes, the one-time All Black has decided to move north where he will likely vie with Auckland's Taniela Moa for the No9 jersey.

While pen is yet to be put to paper, Mathewson, who scored a try yesterday, said he had mixed emotions about the impending move.

"I've played all my rugby in Wellington since leaving school and it's home for me," Mathewson said. "But I need regular game time in the Super 14 if I want to make higher teams. The All Blacks is a dream and a goal for me and I think this is going to be the best opportunity for me to do that."

Mathewson's departure opens the door for a new understudy for Weepu.

Taranaki's Brett Goodin, Manawatu's Aaron Smith and Hawke's Bay's Chris Eaton are the other first-choice halfbacks in the Hurricanes region.

But Mathewson hasn't been completely lost to Wellington – he will continue to play for the Lions.

"There will be a loan back so it's a good decision for Alby and it doesn't affect Wellington rugby," Wellington coach Jamie Joseph said.

Joseph also confirmed the Crusaders are hunting Robbie Fruean's signature.

Fruean, who has been demoted to the bench for the past two games, will struggle to break into a Hurricanes' backline including Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith and Tamati Ellison.

So he's definitely off - glad he's stick with the Lions though. Interesting that Fruean's being hunted too...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm a bit surprised about Fruean aswell, thought they would be settled with Bateman and either Slade or Brett in the centers. Have they signed Dagg? or is that not happening.

9. ellis
10. carter
11. guilford
12. slade
13. bateman
14. maitland
15. dagg???

20. fotuali'i
21. brett
22. fruean???

-poki
-payne
-crotty

If they don't sign Dagg I wonder who they'll use at Fullback, with MacDonald gone, they may use Brett at 12, Slade at 15...

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Brett has confirmed he's off to the Blues and Dagg has confirmed for the Highlanders.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:45 pm

oh sweet, so Slade will most likely play at FB, and Fruean will start at 12.

So the Blues will be

9. Mathewson
10. Brett
11. Ranger
12. McAlister
13. Toeava/Tuitavake
14. Rocokoco
15. Toeava/Williams

Thats a very decent back line.

Back to top Go down
Jump Yard Dog
Veteran
Jump Yard Dog

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 12:08 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
I'm a bit surprised about Fruean aswell, thought they would be settled with Bateman and either Slade or Brett in the centers. Have they signed Dagg? or is that not happening.

9. ellis
10. carter
11. guilford
12. slade
13. bateman
14. maitland
15. dagg???

20. fotuali'i
21. brett
22. fruean???

-poki
-payne
-crotty

If they don't sign Dagg I wonder who they'll use at Fullback, with MacDonald gone, they may use Brett at 12, Slade at 15...

1. Wyatt Crocket
2. Jason McDonald
3. Owen Franks
4. Isaac Ross
5. Brad Thorn
6. Keiran Read
7. Richie McCaw
8. Thomas Waldrom
9. Andy Ellis
10. Daniel Carter
11. Zac Guilford
12. Tim Bateman
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Kade Poki
15. Jarrayd Payne

16. Ti'i Paulo
17. Ben Franks
18. Michael Paterson
19. George Whitelock
20. Kahn Fotuali'i
21. Colin Slade
22. Sean Maitland

Robert Fruean
Johnathon Poff
Adam Whitelock

Geez G.Whitelock on the bench. - He's a All Black

* Chris Jack is likely to sign with the Crusaders aswell
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 12:11 am

I'd definitely have Slade starting over Payne, and although I woudln't prefer it I wouldn't be surprised if they used Read at 8 (seen he been playing there for the ABs) and G. Whitelock at 6.

Has Corey Flynn left??

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 12:43 am

TBH - I wouldn't really call Whitelock an AB yet. Yes he's played for them, but he's no more an AB than John Schwalger IMO. Now sure that may change in the near future - but as of now...
Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 3:38 am

Not another of our players going to the blues
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:43 am

Good signing for the Blues. Not sure if Brett is though.

The last thing a flaky team needs is a flake at first five. Had enough of that when Carlos was running the ship.

On things for sure though, with an inside back combination of Mathewson, Brett, McAlister and Toeava, the Blues certainly wont be boring next year. They'll either win by 50 or lose by 100.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 9:21 am

40/20 wrote:
Good signing for the Blues. Not sure if Brett is though.

The last thing a flaky team needs is a flake at first five. Had enough of that when Carlos was running the ship.

On things for sure though, with an inside back combination of Mathewson, Brett, McAlister and Toeava, the Blues certainly wont be boring next year. They'll either win by 50 or lose by 100.

So much the same as this season Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues 48427 at times their defence was appauling but they scored a lot of bonus points from getting the 4 tries.

Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:49 am

I hadnt heard that Brett had gone to the blues is that confirmed?
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 6:15 am

Actually no - it's still being theorised...
Back to top Go down
CM_STEELERS
Professional
CM_STEELERS

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 8:05 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
oh sweet, so Slade will most likely play at FB, and Fruean will start at 12.

So the Blues will be

9. Mathewson
10. Brett
11. Ranger
12. McAlister
13. Toeava/Tuitavake
14. Rocokoco
15. Toeava/Williams

Thats a very decent back line.

thats a meeeeean backline. i would have tuitavake at centre and toeave at fb. wulf on the bench with stanley and moa/smylie. i rate smylie and dont want matthewson, he can stay in wellington. moa to start, smylie off the bench.
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 4:39 am

I heard on radio sport today that brett is due to sign for the blues tomorrow and its pretty much a done deal.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 4:46 am

I also heard that KK, and they have denied all talks about signing Johnny Wilkinson or Juan Martin Hernandez. I would have loved to see Wilkinson in the Super 14, be good to watch him get hammered!!

Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 4:54 am

i'll be very disapointed if fruen leaves wellington, he a future all black for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 5:19 am

Yeah I hope Fruean doesnt go, he is a future All black for sure.

I also heard the stuff about Brett looks like the blues may have a good backline next year.
Back to top Go down
noriyuki
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 am

The Blues would have nowhere near enough coin to make a play for jonny now he's at Toulon and Pat Lam said on the news he wouldn't know who Juan Martin Hernandez was if he was standing next to him.

Read into it what you want but i can't see it happening
Back to top Go down
Jump Yard Dog
Veteran
Jump Yard Dog

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 am

kiwikid33 wrote:
I heard on radio sport today that brett is due to sign for the blues tomorrow and its pretty much a done deal.

Get that piece of shit out of Canterbury. Wanted him gone donks ago!
Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 am

Yeah im not sure if he is even better than Slade at First five, good luck to the blues they can have all the crap players they want. So long as they keep losing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues   Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alby Mathewson could be on the move to the Blues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com