Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps

Go down 
AuthorMessage
40/20
Professional
40/20

All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Empty
PostSubject: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:21 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10603911

Quote :

The All Black selectors have today named four new caps in their squad to tour Japan and Europe later this month.

Bay of Plenty first five-eighth Mike Delany, Hawke's Bay winger Zac Guildford, Otago fullback/wing Ben Smith and Wellington utility back Tamati Ellison have all been selected for the first time, while hooker Corey Flynn, halfback Andy Ellis and lock Anthony Boric have been recalled to the squad.

The squad features 18 forwards and 15 backs and will again be captained by Richie McCaw.
The versatile Ben Smith makes the All Blacks after just his third season of Air New Zealand Cup rugby. He made his debut for the Highlanders this year and also played alongside fellow All Black Owen Franks in the 2007 New Zealand Under 21 side

The experienced Mike Delany, who also plays fullback, made his provincial debut in 2005 and Super 14 debut last year. He has played 52 matches for Bay of Plenty and is the leading points scorer in this year's Air New Zealand Cup.

Young Zac Guildford has had a stellar season this year, playing for the Hurricanes, the world champion New Zealand Under 20 team and Hawke's Bay, and is the leading try scorer in this year's Air New Zealand Cup, with 13 tries.

The skilled Tamati Ellison is well-known to the All Blacks coaches, impressing during his time with the squad this year, and his ability to cover several positions has made him invaluable for his Wellington and Hurricanes teams.

Players not considered for selection due to injury include: Piri Weepu (ankle); Isaia Toeava (pelvis), Lelia Masaga (shoulder), Keven Mealamu (chest), Bryn Evans (back), Richard Kahui (shoulder) and Ali Williams (Achilles).

"I would like to congratulate all those players picked, especially the new caps," All Blacks coach Graham Henry said. "The selectors were impressed by the high standard of play in the Air New Zealand Cup and that is reflected in the selection of players who have been stand-outs in the competition."

Henry said the All Blacks had two objectives for the tour.

"We want to play quality rugby that we are proud of The tour is also the opportunity for players to put their hand up when it comes to selection for the All Blacks for the future."

The All Blacks squad will assemble in Auckland for a training camp this week before flying out to Tokyo next Sunday 25 October. A public training and autograph session to raise funds for the Tsunami Relief Fund will be held at Trusts Stadium, Waitakere, on Wednesday.

All Blacks squad
John Afoa Auckland (20 Test caps)
Anthony Boric North Harbour (10)
Dan Carter Canterbury (62)
Jimmy Cowan Southland (28)
Wyatt Crockett Canterbury (1)
Mike Delany Bay of Plenty *
Stephen Donald Waikato (16)
Tom Donnelly Otago (1)
Jason Eaton Taranaki (13)
Andy Ellis Canterbury (11)
Tamati Ellison Wellington*
Corey Flynn Canterbury (5)
Owen Franks Canterbury (6)
Zac Guildford Hawke's Bay *
Andrew Hore Taranaki (43)
Cory Jane Wellington (8)
Jerome Kaino Auckland (22)
Tanerau Latimer Bay of Plenty (3)
Brendon Leonard Waikato (12)
Luke McAlister North Harbour (28)
Richie McCaw Canterbury (76) - captain
Liam Messam Waikato (2)
Mils Muliaina Waikato (77)
Ma'a Nonu Wellington (42)
Kieran Read Canterbury (12)
Sitiveni Sivivatu Waikato (39)
Rodney So'oialo Wellington (60)
Ben Smith Otago *
Conrad Smith Wellington (29)
Adam Thomson Otago (12)
Brad Thorn Canterbury (33)
Neemia Tialata Wellington (37)
Tony Woodcock North Harbour (58)

Back to top Go down
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:22 am

i like ben smith in there. definately the form back of the air nz cup so far. so dangerous with ball in hand and rarely seems to make a mistake.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:23 am

And now the list of WTF selections...

1. Delany AND Donald...WTF!!!
2. Ben Smith...WTF!!!
3. Andy Ellis WTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:24 am

have you watched ben smith play this season?? next christian cullen. mark my words
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:29 am

So looks like they went through with leaving Ross at home for conditioning work.

That idea was criticised heavily in the press here when it was first floated but I personally think its a good idea. Ross has poven himself a genuine test prospect and with Boric only just back from injury, the tour gives him a chance to get back to that level too.

If he reaches his previous standards again, it gives us genuine depth again at lock which is important given Thorn making it through to 2011 is far from certain.

Unsure who will partner Thorn in Tokyo, but I hope they put Boric straight back in and have Eatons experience off the bench as insurance.

Good to see Messam back too.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:37 am

I've seen Smith play - he's good, but is he better than Gear and Dagg? I don't know about that...
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:43 am

Pantherus wrote:
And now the list of WTF selections...

1. Delany AND Donald...WTF!!!
2. Ben Smith...WTF!!!
3. Andy Ellis WTFWTFWTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea I agree. Delany is a solid player but is he really worth a touring spot? I cant see him ever usurping Donald or even McAlister as a back up 10 at test level. And even as a back up fullback option, he would still rank well behind Mils and Jane.

And Ellis must surely be dropping his daks for someone important to keep getting picked. Mathewson would be rightly pissed at missing out to that twat yet again.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 am

I can only imagine that either Donald or Delany is more being picked as a 2nd 5 rather than a 1st 5...will be very interesting to see when and where some of these guys are selected...
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:14 am

Ben Smith is a way better player than Israel Dagg, no way near the error rate that Dagg has and runs real hard all the time
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:47 am

My 22 from this squad

1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Franks
4. Boric
5. Donnely
6. Thompson
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Cowan
10. Carter
11. Guildford
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Smith
15. Jane

16. Flynn
17. Afoa
18. Thorn
19. Messam
20. Leonard
21. Delaney
22. Muliaina

Last edited by chrishbhs on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
noriyuki
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:09 am

How is de malmanche going to play when he wasn't even named? although i wouldn't be suprised if he broke his arm again and i think you kidding yourself if you don't thinks mils will be starting and mcalister won't at least be on the bench
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 2:39 am

What the F***! Andy Ellis! F*** off. That is disgraceful and Corey Flynn! can F*** off too, that is ridiculous.

I am surprised by Ben Smith, he's been in good form but not sure if he's worthy of an AB jersey, and saying he's the next Christian Cullen is a HUGE call, considering Cullen is the greatest fullback of the professional era, I hope you're right Willy B.

here would be the 22 I'd expect them to pick, not sure if it would be mine though.

1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Franks
4. Boric
5. Thorn
6. Thompson
7. McCaw
8. Read (would prefer Messam or So'oialo)
9. Cowan
10. Carter
11. Sivivatu
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Jane
15. Muliaina

16. Flynn (WTF!)
17. Tialata
18. Donnelly/Eaton
19. Messam/So'oialo
20. Leoanrad
21. McAlister
22. Guilford

They'll use Delaney off the bench instead of McAlister in the 'easier' games.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 3:17 am

Whoops didnt even realise only 2 hookers so it will have to be Flynn. Who do you think is more worthy than Ben Smith Hendo?
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 am

I just don't think its needed. Wouldn't of mind Hosea Gear getting another chance instead. Think with Mils, Jane and T. Ellison there we have plenty of cover for Fullback.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:26 am

Should have left Mils home with all his bitching about being too tired to play and put Gear in instead of him
Back to top Go down
CM_STEELERS
Professional
CM_STEELERS

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 am

i definitely would have thought gear would go along with weepu

i hope boric has a good tour, im a fan of his so would like to see him regularly for the abs
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:07 am

Weppu didn't make it because he's only played one game back from injury, I just cant beleive they've taken Andy Ellis to fill in. Alby should be there for sure!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps   All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Blacks Touring Squad Named - Four new caps
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | Sports and Hobbies | Collectives sports | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com