Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Team of the decade

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 pm

With the Springboks, Wallabies and All Blacks all on their last tour of the decade, I thought now would be a good time to think of the 22 man squad for team of the '00s. Will focus on an international team, a national team for the Tri-Nations countries and possibly even a Pacific Side and 6 Nations side.

-INTERNATIONAL 22
-ALL BLACKS 22
-WALLABIES 22
-SPRINGBOKS 22
-PACIFIC 22
-6 NATIONS 22

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 pm

1. Os du Randt (SAF)
2. Keith Wood (IRE)
3. Carl Hayman (NZ)
4. Victor Matfield (SAF)
5. Martin Johnson (ENG)
6. Jerry Collins (NZ)
7. Richie McCaw (NZ)
8. Lawrence Dallaglio
9. George Greegan (AUS)
10. Dan Carter (NZ)
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca (FIJ)
12. Matt Giteau (AUS)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (IRE)
14. Brian Habana (SAF)
15. Chris Latham (AUS)

16. John Smit (SAF)
17. John Hayes (IRE)
18. Chris Jack (NZ)
19. Schalk Burger (SAF)
20. Fourie du Preez (SAF)
21. Stephen Larkham (AUS)
22. Tana Umaga (NZ)

Last edited by Hendo Maroon on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:20 am

Cullen or Latham for the FB spot...
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Mikeyboy
Trainee

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:40 am

How about Doug Howlett for Rupeni and Cullen definitely for Fullback,
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 am

Howlett would go in for Habana if anyone, Rupeni is a far greater player than him
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:47 am

haha that's why I left it blank. Although Cullen was the better player he only played up till 2003, another that deserves a mention is Jason Robinson

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 am

I would rather have Mils on the bench than Umaga. Better player overall
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:00 am

what about this for an All Black 22

1. Greg Somerville
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Chris Jack
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Justin Marshall
10. Dan Carter
11. Joe Rokocoko
12. Aaron Mauger
13. Tana Umaga
14. Doug Howlett
15. Christian Cullen

16. Keven Mealamu
17. Kees Meeuws.
18. Brad Thorn
19. Marty Holah
20. Byron Kelleher
21. Carlos Spencer
22. Ma'a Nonu

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 am

Conrad Smith over Tana Umaga, Mils on the bench, Mehrtens on the bench
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:04 am

I actually think Latham deserves the fullback spot over Cullen. Why? Because this is a team of the DECADE! and IMO Latham played better rugby since 2000 than Cullen did - Cullen played by far his best rugby before 2000.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:05 am

No way I would take Conrad over Umaga. Tana was one of the best players we've had this decade.

Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:09 am

That team looks the goods imo.

Im 50/50 with Cullen to FB as he played his best footy in the late 90's but i would definitely have Howlett in place of Caucau.

I might throw some names around but would definitely make the 2 changes below (huge fan of Wilkinson).

Larkham -> 12, Wilkinson -> 21 and Giteau -> Out
Vickery -> 17 and Hayes -> Out
Montgomery/Robinson -> 15

Matt Dawson, Stirling Mortlock, Colin Charvis, Gareth Thomas, Paul O'Conell, Peter Stringer & Agustin Pichot
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:28 am

Peter Stringer is a terrible player, only played so many games because of lack of alternatives. I think Tana is over rated
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 am

Stringer was good, he gave O'Gara some good service and was nippy not greedy. Hes not the best i know that, but certainly worth a mention.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 am

chrishbhs wrote:
Peter Stringer is a terrible player, only played so many games because of lack of alternatives. I think Tana is over rated

And with that you've destoyed what little credibility you had left...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 am

Haha, Tana was a legend, round 2003/04/05 he was one of the best players in the world. He was also an awesome captain as well, he would captain my All Black side of the decade.

Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 2:34 am

here is my springboks side

1. Os du Randt
2. John Smit
3. Lawrence Sephaka
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Juan Smith
8. Bobby Skinstad
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Butch James
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Marius Joubert
14. Breyton Paulse
15. Percy Montgomery

19. Joe Van Niekirk
20. Ruan Pienaar
21. Jacque Fourie

Still a few bench spots to fill, I'm getting there Very Happy Sure I'm probably missing some quality players, I've been unable to check on the Springboks website to refresh my memory.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:00 am

Pantherus wrote:
chrishbhs wrote:

And with that you've destoyed what little credibility you had left...
So I am the one with little credibility, even though you guys don't even play rugby, I'm guessing Pantherus has never played it, just an arm chair critic who reads the papers raving about how great Umaga is and lapping it up
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:11 am

The thing is Chris, a majority of people, even rugby experts would choose Tana over Conrad. You definitely don't need to play rugby to know who was the better player.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:17 am

I know that, I am just saying that he has said I have no credibility even though I have a much more thorough understanding of the game as I have actually played it and watched heaps of it, not just on TV but at all levels. The mian thing that I don't like Tana for is because he stayed long after his use by date, when his skills had severely deteriorated and he was able to gain selection mainly on his reputation
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:28 am

Wow that is a HUGE call

Firstly how do you know wether P'Rus has played rugby or not?

and as for Tana staying past his use by date, that is the stupidest call ever. 2005, Tanas last season for the All Blacks was one of his best. He was even shortlisted for IRB player of the year but missed out to DC. In '05 he captained the side to a 3-0 Lions Tour win, a Tri-Nations win, a Bledisloe Win and a Grand Slam.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 am

I think he said he only got into rugby a few years ago. Tana was still around the next year for the Hurricanes and Lions and he was poor but was getting selected just because of who he was
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 am

All that I said was that Tana was over rated, and alot of people rate him as one of the great All Blacks which I think is far too generous. I think that without the captaincy, which he was clearly good at, just as an actual player I would rather have Conrad Smith in my team over him
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:44 am

Well I hugely disagree with you and I'm a big fan of Conrad. Tana Umaga would be one of the best centers of this decade, just behind O'Driscoll I reckon. Mortlock would take third spot and then maybe Conrad in 4th.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 3:45 am

I suppose that "overrated" is a very subjective term since it's a position that compares actual value compared to how they are viewed. You could argue that the likes of Victor Matfield are overrated too, depending on how you see it - it all depends on where you put the "how they are viewed" pin.

I said what I said because I think that some of the comments and opinions you have produced have been monumentally stupid. For what it's worth though, I apologise for my comment because, at the end of they day it's your opinion versus mine.

As for your claim of validity, mate - unless you're playing for a Rep team then I don't consider your 'expertise' as being any better than mine; and yes I have played Rugby (and plan to get back into it next year after I resigned from my gym work) and have also discussed my views with other people who HAVE played rep rugby.

Finally - as for Tana - I do see where you're coming from about Tana sticking around too long - he was really in the Lions/Canes as a leader and was slowly drawn out of the team as the season went on. But to say he's overrated just because he played non-test rugby for a season-too long is pretty unfair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Team of the decade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Team of the decade   Team of the decade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Team of the decade
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com