Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

McAllister may return to NZ?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Who would you prefer as the ABs 12 if McAllister does return to NZ?
Luke McAllister
McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_lcap20%McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Ma'a Nonu
McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_lcap80%McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_rcap
 80% [ 8 ]
Richard Kahui
McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_lcap0%McAllister may return to NZ? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Stephen Brett
 0% [ 0 ]
Tim Bateman
 0% [ 0 ]
Someone Else...
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

McAllister may return to NZ? Empty
PostSubject: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 am

Luke McAllister has voiced a potential desire to return to NZ - frankly I don't think he will come back as he's too much the mercenary and Henry's comments re: the whole bizzo may well have put him off with a blow to his pride - but the thought remains, who would you prefer as the ABs 12 in the upcoming years leading up to 2011 WC?

Luke?
The incumbent Ma'a Nonu?
Shifting utility back Kahui?
or one of the potential up-and-comers like Bateman or Brett?

Or maybe someone else you think could step up? Tamati Ellison, Benson Stanley, etc?
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 am

Chuck Luke on the bench keep Nonu starting at 12. Then you've got the fly half and 12 back ups covered. Nonu can always slip to the wing and put in a reserve Full Back/13 and its sorted.
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:29 am

Mcallister should be on the bench.... I believe that nonu should be starting. I dont like brett imo he is over-rated.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:31 am

SportsLegend wrote:
Mcallister should be on the bench.... I believe that nonu should be starting. I dont like brett imo he is over-rated.

WHAT?? Ur admitting that a cantab player is over-rated?? Never b4 have I met a Cantab supporter that admits to a crusader player being over-rated.
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:34 am

Nah Hendo i believe he is though, do u?
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 am

SportsLegend wrote:
Nah Hendo i believe he is though, do u?

I actually think he is pretty good, he will be an AB in the next couple of seasons.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:41 am

Haha, I'm as shocked as you are Hendo Smile

For what it's worth, all Brett needs to do is sort out his D and he could be great. Till then he's a liability.
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:50 am

Yeah definitely a liability but in years to come he will be good. I like how he plays, but if you put Stanley outside Carter he would look better too.

For the AB's id go with Carter/Nonu and McAlistar on the bench. Will he return knowing that he will only get a bench spot?? Surely if he was told he would get a start he'd be more likely to return.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 6:15 am

Article in todays NZ Herald suggesting McAllister is being targeted by Toulon and that he may turn his back on the chance at playing in 2011 in favour of mega bucks in France.

What a f*cking mercenary.

I've never been against players at the end of their careers taking up the riches overseas - Jack, Kelleher, Collins, Mauger, Howlett etc - guys who have EARNED a retirement plan. But McAllister had barely established himself as a test player before chasing the dollar. And then he had the nerve to try and justify the move as a lifestyle choice, to experience a new life - he'd already spent several years in Sale when he was younger!!

Tosser. Hope he develops chronic gout.
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 6:51 am

I cant blame someone who wants to earn the money while he can.

I say go for it he has been an AB so why not. If he comes back he is not guaranteed a spot in the All Blacks again and his father may have annoyed enough people that he will never get a go again.

So stay over there and earn the big money.
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:29 pm

40/ 20 i heard that on the news apparently he is been offered 1 million a year at toulon. Why does frence rugby want to hammer all the Nrl's Talent and best rugby players.....

He is weighing up:

Return to Nz and play for All Blacks

or

Get 1 million a year at Toulon

What one would you take, imo he has to take the money and then return just before the rugby world cup and be eligible to play.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:22 pm

cant blame the guy really. mercenary? translates to looking out for numero uno. how many people would say no to getting paid a cool mil for a season?

if he did come back i'd like to see him at 13 and/or 10...off the bench of course
he has power, speed and a kick. outside of carter the backline doesnt have someone else with a get out of jail kick. mcalistair would make a better 10 back up than donald and it would give me peace of mind that weepu gets to stay at 9

though if he did come back he'd still have to make the ABs. not playn S14 would show in his fitness, reaction time and stamina. reckon it would take him a season and a bit of S14 before he'd achieve the ABs level of match fitness, then he'd have to prove that he still has the mental goods to grab a black jersey
matfield came bak after only 1 season away and he struggled in the 3N to keep up. i was surprised when he got made captain of the boks considerin he was draggin a55 and sucking it in for the majority of the games vs the ABs

so would he come back and put himself thru the trials and tribulations of trying to break into the ABs all over again? or would he go for the cool guaranteed mil?
if he takes the mil good on him, he gave great service when he was an AB and he'll always be a flag ship of how the ABs produce class.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Hey mania - never actually gave a welcome shout out to you Smile

TFW folks - this man taught me a lot of what I know about Rugby (we sat next to each other at work until we were both sent out to client sites) and will certainly add a lot to the topic here.

Agree that McAllister would make a good bench man, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him covering 13 - he's already shown he cannot handle that position; plus Kahui needs to be in the picture somewhere - I think our bench atm should be Weepu, Kahui and Toeava - since they can cover all positions in the backline. The weakest link there would be Toeava IMO, despite his end of year form with the ABs.

Time will tell...

Oh, and I have no issues with McAllister chasing the money overseas, just don't expect to waltz back into the ABs like he owns the jersey.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:42 pm

SportsLegend wrote:

What one would you take, imo he has to take the money and then return just before the rugby world cup and be eligible to play.

Look, I agree the money on offer is huge and its hard to judge someone who is wanting to secure their financial future.

But on the flipside lets compare that to McCaw. His total NZRU package will be around $500 - 600k per year. But he could double that in France. Easily. In the forward dominated game of the NH, an openside of McCaw's calibre could literally, write his own salary.

Now when you consider what HE has done for NZ rugby - 70 odd test matches over 8 seasons, in the toughest postion on the pitch - if anyone deserves an early retirement package, its him. Yet he's committed to NZ and even forgone the sabbatical option he has available!

Far more deserving people than McAlister have chosen tto commit to NZ over the riches of the NH. Thats why I'm p*ssed.

If he chooses to sign a new contract with Sale or Toulon, he needs to sign for good and forget about ever coming back. It would be hugely insulting to those players who have stayed if he were to somehow think he can get away with another season or two in Europe and then come back for the WC.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:16 pm

mania wrote:
cant blame the guy really. mercenary? translates to looking out for numero uno. how many people would say no to getting paid a cool mil for a season?

if he takes the mil good on him, he gave great service when he was an AB and he'll always be a flag ship of how the ABs produce class.

I understand your point of view mania but to answer your first question of who would turn down a mill a year, McCaw certainly looks to have done so.

I know there havent been any confirmed reports of an offer in that range but thats because he's never put himself on the market. If Toulouse were willing to pay 800k for Kelleher or Newcastle 900k for Hayman, then you can almost guarantee McCaw could command a mill plus if he ever put himself out there.

And I dont know whether I would consider McAlister giving great service to NZ either to be honest - 22 tests, many of which were off the bench? He had only just established himself as a test starter in 07 before leaving.

If he had stayed, he would likely be on around 350-400k here - thats certainly not insignificant. And he would've only been 28 after the next WC, plenty of time to take up a rich NH contract afterwards. Plenty of time and opportunity to set himself up financially and look after himself.

But he's chosen to make money the main priority. Its certainly not the "prestige" of the Guiness Premeirship or Heinekin Cup over the All Black jersey. Thats what galls me.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:31 pm

yeah fully agree that he wouldnt waltz into the ABs, i dont think even henry is of that attitude.
if he does come back though i'd have to say thats he's stupid, hell if i got offered that kinda money i'd snatch it up in no time. to come back mcalistair would have to put up with getting his physical mental fitness back to ABs level, threat of injury, reduced pay packet, criticism from the journos and the more scathing NZpublic and the fact that he'd be fighting again to up his status in the ABs pecking order starting from scratch. theres no way that henry will let him back in without proving himself in a season of S14.
i think the hardest thing for him to put up with is the off field criticism. we're critical of our rugby soldiers and i remember reading an article bout mcalistair where he said it was great to get away from the NZ rugby celebrity culture and how he loved being anonymous in europe.
so if he doesnt come back one of the reasons could be that he doesnt want to put up with all the criticism and off field politics that make up the majority of NZ professional rugby these days
mcalistairs done nothing in my eyes to be labled a sell out. he represented NZ with his all when he played and if he wants to make as much money as poss while his body still can then good on him. if he came back to NZ then ABs would b that much richer in depth for it, but if he doesnt, hell can u blame the guy for not wanting to put up with our negativity?
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Quote :
I understand your point of view mania but to answer your first question of who would turn down a mill a year, McCaw certainly looks to have done so.

haha, hey 40/20 its not fair u using mccaw as ur measuring stick. every player (including carter) falls short if u gonna measure them by mccaws standard. to make it a fair debate you gotta pick a player example that turns up at least 2 or 3 times a century
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 6:58 am

Nonu is in such good form you cant just replace him .Luke would have to be on the bench IMO
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 7:00 am

Yeah i believe that Nonu will start at 12, this is where he plays best. Although its Graham Henry the coach and he picks all the Aucklanders before anyone else. Graham Henry imo is biased.
Back to top Go down
United
Guru
United

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 9:55 am

Ma'a Nonu is a really good player ...
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 am

SportsLegend wrote:
Yeah i believe that Nonu will start at 12, this is where he plays best. Although its Graham Henry the coach and he picks all the Aucklanders before anyone else. Graham Henry imo is biased.

What makes you think he's biased?

From what I can see there were 5 Aucklanders in the 22 that played England for instance, but all of them seemed deserving of their positions.

Mealamu is clearly the best hooker in the squad, Williams is undoubtedly our best lock full stop. Kaino is still growing into his role but is still well ahead of Read and Messam, likewise Rockocoko who, even at half clip, is streets ahead of Gear or Tuitavake for the time being.

Toeava might be the most contentious selection of them all, but no one else can cover the entire backline like he does, so his utiiity value on the bench is undeniable. Besides, he seems more Smithy's pet than Henry.

Cant see any bias there at all to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:31 am

Rockocoko, Kaino, Toeava and Tuitavake should be in the side. He is definitely not the best man who should be coaching the all blacks. And he never makes the right calls, Kahui shouldnt be playing on the wing he is a centre. And mait mealamu is definitely NOT the best hooker, Hore is and mealamu is just way to old.

havent u guys notice, when mccaw doesnt play the all blacks dont win, McCaw is the difference between winning and lossing.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:44 am

SportsLegend wrote:
Rockocoko, Kaino, Toeava and Tuitavake should be in the side. He is definitely not the best man who should be coaching the all blacks. And he never makes the right calls, Kahui shouldnt be playing on the wing he is a centre. And mait mealamu is definitely NOT the best hooker, Hore is and mealamu is just way to old.

havent u guys notice, when mccaw doesnt play the all blacks dont win, McCaw is the difference between winning and lossing.

So if we played Romania without Mccaw wed lose ?
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:48 am

Well mate Romania i wouldnt think have a rugby team, and thats a different story if we did verse them. Thing about versing aussie, south africa..... And its prove, mccaw not there we lose just like in the last tri-nations. McCaw didnt play 2 games and we lost both, the games he played we won them all.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:50 am

SportsLegend wrote:
Well mate Romania i wouldnt think have a rugby team, and thats a different story if we did verse them. Thing about versing aussie, south africa..... And its prove, mccaw not there we lose just like in the last tri-nations. McCaw didnt play 2 games and we lost both, the games he played we won them all.

I thin kwe could still beat australia and south africa without Mccaw . Scott Waldrom is a great backup !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McAllister may return to NZ?   McAllister may return to NZ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McAllister may return to NZ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | Sports and Hobbies | Collectives sports | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com