Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Empty
PostSubject: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:43 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/3264250/So-oialo-steps-down

Rodney So'oialo has stepped aside as Hurricanes captain to focus on getting his body and game in shape for the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

Hooker Andrew Hore will lead the Hurricanes in this year's Super 14. So'oialo handed over the skipper's role after 49 matches at the helm since taking over from Tana Umaga in 2006.

So'oialo said yesterday that he had decided early in the new year that he needed to focus more on his core role as a player if he wanted to produce his best rugby at all levels.

"I want to really concentrate on my preparation and to be the best I can at what I do," he said.

"I want to offer the Hurricanes and the franchise the best I have and to do that I need to really focus on getting my body right.

"It was tough, but then again you have to make these decisions to benefit the team and yourself really."

The 30-year-old has been a Hurricanes star since his debut in 2001.

However, he struggled with a neck injury during the final stages of last season, with his body rebelling against one of the country's heaviest playing loads of the past few years.

The 62-test veteran was surpassed by Kieran Read as the All Blacks' test No8 during last year's end-of-year tour and has clearly taken stock.

It will not be a decision So'oialo took lightly because he considered the captaincy a huge honour, and it highlights his desire to win back his test jersey this year.

"It's an investment really – for the future," he said.

"I want to try and continue to contribute my all to the Hurricanes and to the All Blacks for the next two years."

Surprisingly, it will be the first side Hore has captained in his long first-class career, but after 47 tests for the All Blacks he is clearly not fazed by the challenge.

"I captained the Otago development side for a bit, but nothing too serious really," he said.

"But I've been in a few leadership groups as well though and there's a lot of the same guys around here too. It's going to be huge, I'm looking forward to it.

"Hopefully, my game grows from it.

"I'll just try to say it how I saw it and get going from there. There won't be any poetry coming out of me."

Hore admitted that he was surprised to learn So'oialo would not be carrying on when he was told last week, but had quickly warmed to the idea of leading the side.

"I did expect him to carry on, but it's a mark of the man really that he's done what he thinks is best for the team," he said.

"We had a yak with the leaders and the senior players about a week ago and came up with a few ideas.

"I've been here for a while, but I'm coming to training with a bit more on my mind, which gets you thinking and I think that's quite good for me as well."

Hore's first assignment as captain will be Friday's pre-season match against the Brumbies at Porirua.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper paid tribute to So'oialo's contribution as captain and said it was a mark of his character that he had stepped aside with the team's best interests at heart.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 pm

If not Rodney then Conrad Smith would have been my pick, but I think Hore will go alright.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Same - Conrad would've been my pick too - believe I said that when we were picking our S14 sides last year Smile

But yes, Hore's a good call too, he's got the experience for sure. I just think Conrad would've been in the refs ear more.
Back to top Go down
Rego
Professional
Rego

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 am

Conrad Smith would have been my pick but he is my fav player so that might tell you something....

Andrew Hore does have captain experience so he does know his way around the field. If he gets injured (hope not) it'll be interesting if Snakey takes over....
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 5:41 am

Not a bad move from So'oialo seeing as he wants to focus on his game a bit more and stepping down as captain does take a bit of pressure off himself.

I reckon Hore is good choice as skipper as he has had captain experience and he is a lead from the front sort of guy and also he rarely gets injured, so he most definitely is a good option.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 6:14 am

Big Fan of the big man if Rodney says he doesn't wanna captain who's gonna argue.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:18 am

Fiji_Bati wrote:
Not a bad move from So'oialo seeing as he wants to focus on his game a bit more and stepping down as captain does take a bit of pressure off himself.

I reckon Hore is good choice as skipper as he has had captain experience and he is a lead from the front sort of guy and also he rarely gets injured, so he most definitely is a good option.

Highly amused at both bolded comments...

His captaincy experience was a dev team a long time ago and he has never captained a top-level team.

Plus he has had a couple of MAJOR injuries in the last couple of years, especially the main ankle one he did that put him out of the northern grand slam tour as well as about 5 weeks of Super 14...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain   So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So'oialo Steps down as Hurricanes Captain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com