Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Will Genia named interim captain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

Will Genia named interim captain Empty
PostSubject: Will Genia named interim captain   Will Genia named interim captain Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:54 am

QR Reds scrumhalf Will Genia said the extra responsibility of becoming the on-field leader of the Reds for the remainder of the 2010 Investec Bank Super 14 season was as an ‘honour and a privilege’.

Head coach Ewen McKenzie has made the 22-year-old Wallaby scrumhalf the team's interim skipper after Reds captain James Horwill sustained a season-ending knee injury in the Reds 41-20 victory over the Crusaders on Friday night.

“It’s an honour and a privilege to be named as captain. I’m definitely excited about the extra responsibilities and the challenges that come with the role,” Genia told reporters at Ballymore today.

“James still is captain off the field, I’m just filling the void on the field. But in saying that I’ve got a lot of older guys, older heads around me to support me and I know they’ll do that.

“We’ve got guys like Sean Hardman, Peter Hynes and Van Humphries who say a lot and have a lot to do with decisions both on and off the field. They are still there and they will support me in every way they can.

“As far as I’m concerned it’s a big responsibility but for me I look at it more as being the person who has to tell the ref whether we want to kick for goal, kick for touch or have a scrum.”

Genia said his elevation was made more special with the Reds playing their first Super Rugby match at Ballymore in five years when they meet the Blues on Saturday.

FULL STORY... http://www.qru.com.au/library/news/2010/100222_genia_and_captaincy,70987.html/section/70000

No surprises here, great decision from Ewen McKenzie. It's also good to see James Horwill will still play an important role off the field. Daniel Braid has been named vice captain, hopefully he can take on that extra responsibility as 'the enforcer' of the team.

Hendo Maroon

Will Genia named interim captain Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Genia named interim captain   Will Genia named interim captain Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

dumb move I reckon. Braid or Hardman would have been more suitable options. When you've got a guy who is as talented as Genia is at such a young age, I reckon the less responsibility the better.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down

Will Genia named interim captain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com