Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU

Go down 
AuthorMessage
40/20
Professional
40/20

Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Empty
PostSubject: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:27 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10628403

Quote :
New Zealand Rugby Union boss Steve Tew has confirmed they have had talks with league convert Sonny Bill Williams about playing in next year's Super 15.

Williams is in the last year of his contract with French club Toulon and is believed to be homesick. A return to New Zealand would also move him a step closer of fulfilling his dream to play for the All Blacks.

Williams walked out on a five-year deal with NRL club Canterbury Bulldogs in 2008 to join Toulon, who was coached then by former All Black captain Tana Umaga.

Williams' time in France has been interrupted by injury and it has been reported several times that he has failed to settle.

Williams, a second rower in league, has played most of his rugby in the centres but Sydney's Daily Telegraph reported yesterday that Toulon were considering shifting him into the forwards to jolt their star recruit into action.

Bout bloody time. He's a wasted talent over there.

I personally think he has all the ability in the world to make a succesful transition but untill he gets some decent coaching in an environment that suits him, we'll never know for sure.

Hopefully this is the start of it.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 am

Can only really see him playing for Auckland and the Blues, but they have McAlister and Toeava. Suppose Toeava could be moved to fullback to make room for him.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Can only really see him playing for Auckland and the Blues, but they have McAlister and Toeava. Suppose Toeava could be moved to fullback to make room for him.

Yea I agree. I'd love to see Ice stay at 13 long term but he's spent a lot of time at 15 for the AB's suggesting they see his future there post Mils.

Either way I just want to see Sonny Bill on the pitch in this part of the world again, whether is S15 or NRL. Too much of a talent to be wasted in NH rugby kick fests
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:54 am

11. Wulf/Ranger 12. McAlister 13. SBW 14. Joe Rok 15. Toeava then they've got P. Williams, Tuitavake...

That is a very dangerous backline.

I agree with you though, it sucks when players in their prime go overseas.

Oh but I can't see Toeava being AB fullback when Mils leaves, thats Dagg's spot Very Happy

Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
11. Wulf/Ranger 12. McAlister 13. SBW 14. Joe Rok 15. Toeava then they've got P. Williams, Tuitavake...

Oh but I can't see Toeava being AB fullback when Mils leaves, thats Dagg's spot Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_biggrin

Hahaha I thought you'd slip that one in Hendo... yep, agree that Dagg would have to be a leading contender and Jane's young enough to easily slip in there too once Mils hangs up the boots. Especially if guys like Guildford and Gear step up post WC for the wing spots.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:10 am

haha well Dagg and Guildford is the most lethal wing/fullback combination, you'd have to go back to the Wilson/Cullen/Lomu days to find better. The two of them just work together so well, always on the same page. Toeava can keep the bench warm and Jane can have the other wing. Ben Smith can gtfo.

Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:

Oh but I can't see Toeava being AB fullback when Mils leaves, thats Dagg's spot Very Happy

Thats a dam good backline lol.
Who else would be chasing him do u think? Apart from Auckland?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:20 am

not too sure aye, the highlanders and crusaders don't have the best center pairings so he could there. But don't think he'd be that keen on moving down there. Crusaders probably have Aaron Mauger back too. I really cant see him being a Highlander.

Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 9:40 am

Rebals have openings plus Melbourne couldn't care less that league people have issues with him. If he wants back nows his chance anyway.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
not too sure aye, the highlanders and crusaders don't have the best center pairings so he could there. But don't think he'd be that keen on moving down there. Crusaders probably have Aaron Mauger back too. I really cant see him being a Highlander.

Would love to see him at the Blues but as far as his development goes, maybe Crusader land is the best place for him.

They have a good record of taking players to the next level and playing alongside Carter and potentially Mauger isnt a bad way to learn your trade as a midfielder.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 am

Yea fair point, with two natural play makers inside him he'd get plenty of opportunity to put his size, power and speed to good use. Who knows, maybe that could be our combination in the WC.

What do you reckon Mauger will do when he returns? Is he could enough to keep out Nonu? is he even good enough for a bench spot over McAlister/Donald. Suppose only time will tell, but I'd really hate for him to get in the starting 15 at the cost of Nonu. If that did happen Conrad's position would probably be in doubt too.

Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 2:46 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Yea fair point, with two natural play makers inside him he'd get plenty of opportunity to put his size, power and speed to good use. Who knows, maybe that could be our combination in the WC.

What do you reckon Mauger will do when he returns? Is he could enough to keep out Nonu? is he even good enough for a bench spot over McAlister/Donald. Suppose only time will tell, but I'd really hate for him to get in the starting 15 at the cost of Nonu. If that did happen Conrad's position would probably be in doubt too.

Yea its an interesting one because midfield is generally about combinations and given their styles of play, Nonu & Smith are virtually a package deal these days. A very, very good one of course, but they are almost dependant on each other for selection.

Form will obviously be the biggest factor but aside from that, I think it'll also come down to the style of play the AB coaches want. McAlister or Mauger at 12 offers dual play maker options similar to what Deans is trying with Giteau/Barnes and helps promote a more open style.

And what I really like about dual play makers, apart from a second kicking option, is that it gives Carter more licence to run at the line, knowing if he gets caught up somone else can play first receiver from the next phase. At the moment if he gets caught our only real option is to recycle with a hit up from one of the fatties. Not necessarily bad, but it could mean missed opportunities out wide.

Nonu & Smith have been huge for us the last couple of years but I really think there's a lot of merit in having a second playmaker at 12 and if Mauger does end up returning, he at least offers some more options along that line.

The other bonus Mauger offers is he has some genuine pedigree at 10. He played all his junior rep footy there and also spent time there for Leicester recently. Given Donald has proven to be an unmitigated disaster as a test first-five, and McAlister only slightly less so, getting Mauger back means we may not have to gamble so early on the likes of Delaney or even Cruden.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 12:18 am

This story seems to be gaining momentum

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/3384780/Sonny-Bill-tipped-to-join-Counties-Manukau

Quote :

Sonny Bill Williams' football future is expected to be revealed in a fortnight, as sources in France suggest the superstar will join Tana Umaga at Counties Manukau for this season's NPC rugby competition.

Sunday News can reveal Umaga's deal to play for the Steelers from June is close to being completed, after the province put together an off-field package to set the former All Blacks' captain up for life after rugby.

Williams quit league and the Bulldogs to sign up for Toulon, mainly to be with Umaga – who mentored, coached and even played alongside him in the glamour French team.

Umaga and Williams made a private visit to the touring Kiwis side late last year and SBW told his old team-mates he was homesick in France.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry has been in touch with Williams, who needs to play in the 2011 Super 15 to make it into the black jersey for next year's World Cup.

To get a Super Rugby contract, the 24-year-old needs to play in this season's NPC. At Counties, the former league sensation would be close to his Auckland home and be able to experience New Zealand rugby without the pressures of being in a big team.

He would also be able to make the Chiefs next year, possibly linking with pin-up centre Richard Kahui to form a potential All Blacks mid-field – and certainly a marketing dream for attracting female fans.

French reporters are currently chasing the Williams-Umaga move to Counties story.
Asked about the rumour, Williams' agent Khoder Nasser, who has been in France for a fortnight, told Sunday News yesterday: "I'm back in Australia now. In regards to Sonny, I need two weeks and after that I will probably give an official statement on what he's doing."

Earlier this month, Nasser replied to a request to speak to Williams about his future with an email saying: "I have spoken to Sonny and he does not wish to do any interviews at the moment.
"He wants to concentrate on his rugby."

Yesterday, the Australian Rugby Union declared they had no interest in signing Williams.

"We certainly wouldn't be out there chasing him. He's not on our radar," Wallabies high performance director David Nucifora told the Sun Herald.

The Wallabies had a wealth of backline talent, and the ARU had already tabled an offer to fellow league convert Mark Gasnier.
Back to top Go down
dragons10
Veteran
dragons10

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 am

Hope sonny bill comes back to league. He's great to watch ill love to have him at the dragons
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Well! that would be interesting. SBW and Umaga pairing up in the centers for the Steelers. SBW and Kahui would make a very interesting combination too, but then what would happen with Delaney? as its likely he'll push Donald out to 12 when Mils comes back.

Oh and I think Khoder Nasser is a wanker.

Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 pm

Very strong rumours about SBW returning to Counties. Would also think he would be keen on playing with Marist too, his family stay in that area.

A player of SBW's calibre is definitely International quality. If he makes the All Blacks for the World Cup, someone would have to miss out, Who tho?
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:07 pm

He's not good enough to replace Nonu or Conrad, thats for sure.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Correct - at best he'd be competing with Kahui...
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU   Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homesick Sonny Bill in talks with NZRU
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com