Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Best Fullback Ever

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:34 pm

You cant go past Christian Cullen ! Hes a Legend
Back to top Go down
carlton12
Legend
carlton12

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Billy Slater!!

What a gun!!
Back to top Go down

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Carlton this is a Rugby Union thread...
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Cullen is definitely 1 of the best. Should have made a poll for this. Other FB's i think would be in contention are J Robinson, C Latham, M Muliaina & P Montgomery.
Back to top Go down
Stoke
Legend
Stoke

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 3:41 pm

cullen for me to

but latham and mongomery come close

and robinson and muliana not far behind
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 8:25 pm

cullen hands down #1,
latham easily #2 and and mayb mils 3rd
Back to top Go down
BlackCaps
Guru
BlackCaps

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Cullum for me
2nd maybe latham
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Cullen Definitely #1

Latham is awesome, but how about that French guy from the '87 world cup - can't recall his name though...
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
NBrown#16
Veteran
NBrown#16

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:45 pm

Certainly not the best ever but Dempsey's (i think it was him) performance against australia this year at the Telstra Dome was pretty impressive. Cullen would have to have been the best though
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:49 pm

u gotta wonder, cullens named as top full back by all here (cept for the errant league contribution), so what was going thru mitchell and deans minds when they dropped him?

as an aside i remember one columnist stating that the highest accolade about cullens dropping is how many fullbacks it took to replace him. I think there were 3, McDonald, Blair and then eventually Mils, and then they had McDonald in the centres anyway which cullen coulda covered better and mortlock wouldnt of had a field day on our NZ collecvtiv a55es. do u think deans and mitchell knew that a little known player (who was playin 12 then) called Carter wasnt a too bad at kicking goals?

sorry i'm still bitter bout cullens dropping, i reckon it was a bigger screw over than the bringBakBuck debacle.
Back to top Go down

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:04 am

mania wrote:
u gotta wonder, cullens named as top full back by all here (cept for the errant league contribution), so what was going thru mitchell and deans minds when they dropped him?

as an aside i remember one columnist stating that the highest accolade about cullens dropping is how many fullbacks it took to replace him. I think there were 3, McDonald, Blair and then eventually Mils, and then they had McDonald in the centres anyway which cullen coulda covered better and mortlock wouldnt of had a field day on our NZ collecvtiv a55es. do u think deans and mitchell knew that a little known player (who was playin 12 then) called Carter wasnt a too bad at kicking goals?

sorry i'm still bitter bout cullens dropping, i reckon it was a bigger screw over than the bringBakBuck debacle.

Good point - furthermore, what was going through their head when they tried him at centre and on the wing, moving Wilson back to Fullback at the '99 World Cup? Just a recipe for disaster
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:53 am

I was jus beginning to enjoy cullen at the centres when they moved him back. cully played a lot of centre before he played for the canes. played at school and for the centralVikings (manawatu and hawkes bay combined i think). his defensive work was that much better cos he was able to get more hits in.

downside was that he didnt have time to gel in the spot before being moved again. reckon he woulda gone on to be a vital centre cos he had all the power, big accurate pass at sprint, strength, speed, nous and a huge get out of jail kick.

he may have lost a lot of acceleration when he got injured but he still shoulda been an AB

i do agree though that they shouldnt of moved him becos of goldie. goldie was a great player but cullen was the better fullback, not to mention that goldie was going thru some huge emotional issues with his dad passing away, that he wasnt in the right mindset. any other point in goldies career and i'm sure he woulda done fine, but right at that moment was the worst possible timing.
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:29 am

Gr8 post Mania. I like how you voice your opinion no matter what. Class forum member imo.

The whole Cullen + World Cup 03 thing was just ridiculous. At 1st it was stupid how they left him out of the squad, and then they bought in Atiga for cover. That was surely Cullen's spot. IMO if Cullen was there we would have had a better chance at winning.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:32 am

Yeah - after the whole injury with Cullen, people were baying for him to be out cause he wasn't the best in the world anymore - forget that he was still best in the country...
Back to top Go down
Sports_Legend
Guru
Sports_Legend

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:54 am

Well its obiviously Christian Cullen, probalely the most known rugby player in history. That famous he has horses named right after him all over the world.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:54 am

thanx kromyD, i have a passion for rugby that jus carries me away...and probably too late to state, but dont get me started on cullen. more f@#ked than buck.

i'm still puzzled with the whole atiga getting called up thing. for starters atiga was a jafa so how come he was getting called into a predominantly cantebury ABs? seemed to me that they grabbed him jus to use up their (deans and mitchell) WC budget. atiga was never going to make the bench. they got him for his kickin abilities but carter was already in the team.

as panterus stated cullen wasnt the best in the world at that time (have to give it to latham then despite him being new on the block at that time. easily latham over mattBurke back then) but he was the best in NZ. i mean mils has been an awesome custodian since he took the jersey, but cullen, d4m the rollsRoyce of FBs. how many more tries woulda he have gotten to make his record an even truer achievement to what it became.

gotta say i'm not a deans fan after him and mitchell did that to cullen ....and merhts, taineRandell, antonOliver etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:23 am

Good call Kromy - a lot of my earlier comments re: Rugby came from this guy - he certainly knows his stuff.

Agree mania - my anti-deans sentiment really does date back to that screwjob.

I wasn't really following Rugby so much back then, but I remember it happening. And like mania said - imagine how much higher his test and try tally could've been had he been taken care of better.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 am

Along these lines - any of you guys had a chance to read Cully's book? Interesting stuff there... he talks about one of his first one-on-one meetings with Mitchell where he was expecting to discuss his future in the team, what he needed to work on etc.

Instead Mitchell sits down and starts rambling on about the positioning of Cullens thumb when he grips the ball. A lumbering ex-No.8 talking to one of the best running fullbacks ever to pull on boots about how to hold a ball! What a bloody numb nuts.

Always thought Mitchell was grossly overrated as a coach. Couldnt have been happier when his mumbo jumbo circus was kicked to the curb after 03.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 4:31 am

thanx Pantherus and back at u

40/20 yeah i read LifeOnTheRun in three days while at my inlaws. yeah i read that bit bout mitchell tryin to tell cully how to hold the ball. i was confused. but the book i couldnt put down. everythin in it was nostalgic for me. recommend it fully to anyone whose been watching rugby in the last 10-15 years

read tana's book when he talks bout that era(aka the mitchell error). the guy that would end up being the ABs captain never even spoke to deans or mitchell.

mitchell was definately overrated, wayne smith was the better coach he jus wasnt conceited enough to hold onto the job

read larkhams book, in it he states the one reason the ABs lost WC2003 was, suprise surprise, carlos....and AUS didnt have to worry bout cullen, mehrts or goldie
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:33 am

Yeah - Tana was pretty harsh on Mitchell - all but outright said that Deans was the brains of the outfit and Mitchell was just a pawn.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:36 am

Best Fullback Ever!

If I was to ask my Grandad who he thought was the greatest FB of all time, I very much doubt his answer would be Cullen.

Cullen may not even be number 1 NZ FB of all time, surely George Nepia deserves at least a mention. We may never of got to see him play but he is widley known as one of the greats of all time.

Here are my top 5, obviously havent seen them all play but have read a lot about all these players.

1. George Nepia (NZL)
2. JPR Williams (WAL)
3. Gavin Hastings
4. Christian Cullen
5. Serge Blanco
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 am

George Nepia would be way up there.

But you also need to remember that the different Eras come into effect too. Back then Fullbacks didn't usually attack much, so people didn't really know how to defend against them as well.

I asked a questions of the Rugby Roundtable (NZ based rugby podcast - fricken funny, look it up if you can; they produce every week almost all year long (stopped now until about Feb when Super season starts again) and you can hear all their old ones too) and one of them made the same point. Put a guy like Colin Meads into present day rugby and he'd get smashed - put cullen back in the 50's and he'd carve up even more than he did.

Just gotta disagree with you Hendo - I'd put Cullen and Blanco at 1 and 2 above your first three.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:28 am

mania wrote:

And they didnt even tell him he was dropped !He read it in the papers
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 11:46 pm

yeah nepia was a great FB but he didnt have a great attack and his defence was hit and miss. cullen was the complete FB and then some. kicked liked nepia, attacked like johnGallagher defended like Bunce, passed like mehrts, supported like mccaw + he could bench press 160kg+, twice his body weight

as Pantherus stated cullen could've played in any era and been a great FB, wing, centre 1st 5 u name it he coulda done it. nepia would've been a great modern AB but with all the attacking rugby these days he woulda had to (and he would of) improved his tackling.

cullen could hit like a train
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 12:00 am

100 % agree with evrthing you just said mania
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best Fullback Ever Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Fullback Ever
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com