Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Best Fullback Ever

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 am

Yea John Mitchell is a dickhead, i reckon cullen could of moved to second five or center lol.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 pm

yeah cully would made a great centre, shame they moved him out of there before he could really cement the spot. definately woulda done better than leonMcDonald during the WC
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:26 am

Yeaa !He had the right atributes to be a good center, he was fast strong and a good defender.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:31 am

The ABs didn't need Cullen as a center neither did Wellington, Tana had that position covered and I don't think Cullen would of been as good as center as Tana, Full Back was Cullen's position and that's where he should of stayed. Who was it that he got cut for Leon McDonald??
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:38 am

Yea he got cut for macdonald, and cullen was still better than him.

and tana could of moved to second five!
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 am

I will hate MacDonald forever for getting the nod ahead of Cully.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 am

Why would you move him from Center he was one of the best of the professional era, and yea Cullen was way better than MacDonald, that would be Robbie Deans influence on the selections.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 am

Yea robbie deans was bias as i remember when there were 13 crusaders in the starting ABs team!
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 am

samthaman15 wrote:
Yea robbie deans was bias as i remember when there were 13 crusaders in the starting ABs team!

14 - Lomu was the only 1 for a while...then Umaga...
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 am

Yea, and lomu was 11 lol
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 am

and yet deans still dropped merhtens?!? WTF?!?!
Back to top Go down
HomeTeam
Trainee
HomeTeam

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:58 am

Christian Cullen probly for me too
the things he did out of nothing

any1 a matt burke fan ? ?
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 am

He was good in his prime buut not as good as cully.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

Matt Burke? nah definately not, I was totally against moving larkham to 10 to accomodate burke as i thought larkham was the better full back.

as it turns out larkhamn ended up being one the worlds best and most dynamic 10's when he was fit. aussie were always that much harder to beat when larkham was on the field

i remember one bledisloe in wellington when the game came down to a penalty and time had expired on the clock. burke walked up to the penalty spot (he'd come on as a reserve) to take the shot when john Eales grabbed his shoulder and shook his head. I imagine Eales woulda said something like "Nah uh son, this is a mans kick"

I met eales that night out on the town and bought him a beer.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 9:10 am

Really ? was Eales a good guy?

i think larkham was that good of a fullback as he didnt have very good defence.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 pm

dunno if eales was a good guy, but he happily accepted my offer to buy him a beer. It was funny cos he was out on his own but probably 90% of people in wellington woulda known who he was and those that didnt would known he was someone with his height and his swagger walking round town with a huge grin on his face.
he was living up the win and rubbing it in at the same time without saying anything. he was definately cool

yeah larkham wasnt known for his defence but then i never saw him miss a tackle or be out of defensive position. cant really remember burke either for any great defensive work.
Back to top Go down
ravenloon
Trainee
ravenloon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:31 pm

The feeing I got was that Jeff Wilson was jealous of Cullies outstanding success as fullback and got into the coaches ear about wanting to become the new fullback. He played him like a fiddle, got the position, shifted Cully to centre and the team dynamics fell apart
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Haha, that is ridiculous, they had 3 strong wings at the time, Wilson, Lomu and Tana. They were really just reshuffling the backs trying to suit them all, we didn't have a decent 13, (Scott McLeod I think was the best). Cullen was a better suit for center than Wilson, so Wilson FB Cully C...this didnt work so Tana moved to center.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:02 am

I still remember when Tana did shift to centre in Wellington - he stated that they could move him there, or he'd go elsewhere where they would...

In hindsight we know that Tana would've been the best bet for centre; whether the coaches just didn't figure that out and honestly thought cully was the better option, or set cully up to fail I guess we'll never know.

I don't think Wilson would've tried to pull anything though.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 am

nah in goldies bio "Fields of gold" he had utmost respect for cully. Goldie called cully the most gifted player he'd ever played with

it was goldie wanting to have a bigger influence on the game which was why he wanted the FB spot. it wasnt until goldies dad passed away that things started falling apart. when he returned from his season off and dealt with his loss that he was at his best again

cully woulda made a great centre. the few times he touchd the ball he made easy yards, it was jus that it was harder to keep up with him cos he was getting the ball 20-30 metres earlier than the back line was used too so the 2nd phase looked ineffectual cos the forwards and backs were 10's of metres away from him. but cully's hits came alot more often when he was in the centres and that was what i enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
ravenloon
Trainee
ravenloon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 1:58 am

Cullen was "tried" at center for most of the 99 world cup campaign. Tana was moved to center after the World Cup of 99.
I still hold the belief that Wilson wanted the full back role. Because he was a "favourite" his preference was noted. I also think he would have thrown a wally if put at center. Cully had a more placid temperament and was easier to bully into the center position.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:20 am

I dont think Wilson would of been very good at center though, well not as good as cullen. Wilson wasnt strong enough IMO
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:02 am

You're right there samthaman Wilsons best attribute was his speed, he could run round people where Cullen could bust through them. Still Cullen Wilson Lomu would be the best outside backs combo the world has ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 am

You're right there Hendo - it would be very hard for any team to put a trio of that calibre together again...
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 am

Yea, Cullen - Best Fullback ever, Lomu - Best Wing ever and wilson was one of the best at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Fullback Ever   Best Fullback Ever - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Fullback Ever
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com