Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Daniel Mortimer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:04 am

I know the season is only two weeks old, so this might sound very premature, but I have a strong feeling that Daniel Mortimer will be having a 'second-year syndrome', or will play like this for the first half of the season at least.

I have been thinking about this even before the season started, mainly because he doesn't play a traditonal halves role. A lot of his success last year came from his ability to back up the ball-runner well and how he was able to duck under defenders for line breaks and tries. After watching the Manly game on Sunday he looked average. He was shut down well almost every time he touched the ball by Glenn Stewart, who was too good a defender to let Mortimer slip out of his grasp. His kicking game was also a worry, and never was his strength in his rookie 09' season.

If he wants to be a consistent player, Mortimer needs to change the way he plays. I know that Parramatta will give a lot of the playmaking opportunities to Hayne, which will always limit Mortimer from what he can do. This could have a similar affect on Mortimer as it did on Sandow last year who was instructed to give the ball to the main playmaker, Sutton, about 70% of the time. Mortimer needs to be taking a bigger role in setting up the players around him instead of putting grubber kicks in for himself.

His defense can also be a worry. I know that a half doesn't really need to be the best defender in the side and should worry a lot more about what he does with the ball, but it has become clear that he will be a target for other teams in defense. He made 27 tackles against the Dragons which further shows he has been targeted. His size will always be against him, and he will always miss tackles as would most other halves, but this is just another reason why he may have a very quiet year.

Add in all of the media attention he receives from the footy show and other programmes which is sure to put a lot of pressure on you.

Again, its just speculation and a prediction for what could happen, but if Mortimer doesn't change fast enough, he will become too much of a non-factor for Parramatta. In no way am I predicting his career to go completely downhill or for him to never become a great player for years to come.

Agree or not?
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 am

I havent seen enough over the 2 games Parra have played this yr to make a proper comment but ill admit that whenever ive seen brief glimpses of the games he hasnt looked very good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

it's hard to argue with such a thorough assessment all i can add is i think he's tough so he'll be top of the pile as a halfback in 4-5 years maybe. some current halves are good but they ain't tough which means mistakes can be made under defensive pressure imo ie Walsh, Sandow, Prince.

Last edited by Megadeecee on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
CANTERBURY BLUES
Professional
CANTERBURY BLUES

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

He was a surprise packet last year, Oppositions are aware of him now.

Always tougher the second year.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 11:18 am

bump

well done manning haha
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 3:15 am

DB wrote:
bump

well done manning haha

Haha, I know what I'm talking about...
Back to top Go down
manly4lyf
Guru
manly4lyf

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:35 am

Mortimer has a really odd kicking style, he raises his leg up so high.
Just a random thought haha.

But yeah, it woud be harder to emulate last season's efforts for Daniel. Maybe if Parra pull their act together, he might get to playing some good footy.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:42 am

I think its because he doesn't have the biggest boot, so he tries to kick the shit of it. Just what I heard lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Daniel Mortimer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Daniel Mortimer   Daniel Mortimer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Daniel Mortimer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com