Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season

Go down 
AuthorMessage
qlder
Professional
qlder

Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season Empty
PostSubject: Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season   Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 am

this would be a massive coup for the Rebels if they get Billy Slater and they are trying to get Israel Folau too

here is the article

$1m raid on Billy Slater Dean Ritchie and Todd Balym From: Herald Sun April 26, 2010 12:00AM

THE Melbourne Rebels are poised to stun an embattled rugby league by making an offer of almost $1 million a season for Storm fullback Billy Slater.
The new Super 15 rugby union franchise will make a firm bid for the Melbourne superstar within days.

It has made a similar offer for former Storm star Israel Folau, now playing withe the Brisbane Broncos.

Slater is under contract with Melbourne until the end of next season.

But with the Storm having to shed $700,000 worth of talent before next year, Slater could become the first player to go in the wake of the club's salay-cap breach.

"Slater is an athlete. He would be the ideal fullback in rugby union. It is just a matter of how much the ARU want to tip in," a source close to the Rebels said.

Slater, the most recognisable Storm player in Victoria, has also fielded offers from the AFL and rival NRL clubs, according to his manager George Mimis.

"It is way too premature to contemplate what Billy or any other player will do from a roster point of view moving forward," Mimis said.

"I do know Melbourne is as much a family to Billy as his real family (but) I can confirm there's been calls from two other football codes.

"They were unprompted calls from people in the AFL and rugby union market places. I have also had talks from other clubs in the NRL."

Greater Western Sydney said yesterday any suuggestion it had spoken to Slater was "pure speculation".

Swans legend and GWS talent scout Paul Kelly had previously named Slater and Greg Inglis as two NRL stars who had the potential to make a successful switch to the AFL, a claim backed yesterday by dual Brownlow Medallist Adam Goodes.

"They're both fantastic athletes, I think Greg Inglis is an absolute champion and so is Billy Slater," Goodes said.

"That is a decision up to them, if they were to make it I think they could really take that opportunity and really give it a go.

"But for me I really hope they stick with NRL."

Mimis continued to maintain had Slater had not been aware of the Storm rorting: "Neither Billy or I are privy to the Melbourne salary-cap management. It was always our understanding that the income has formed part of the salary cap, as per the rules."

An offer for Folau has been tabled. He left the Storm for Brisbane reportedly because he was homesick. But it appears he is considering the offer.

Folau could strike a lethal combination in the centres at the Rebels with former Wallaby captain Stirling Mortlock.

New Rebels chief executive Patrick Wilson would not reveal his club's plans.

One Storm source said: "The Rebels would love to strike now given our situation."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/m-raid-on-billy-slater/story-e6frf9if-1225858113104
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season   Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 pm

haha, yeah joking in the office that Rebel arent gonna have a shortage of players now from the storm. and now it begins
Back to top Go down

Melbourne Rebels set to offer Billy Slater $1m a season
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com