Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

bye bye Izzy

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/israel-folaus-1m-melbourne-rugby-deal/story-e6frexnr-1225859051598

THE Brisbane Broncos are resigned to the fact Israel Folau will walk out on the club at season's end to take up a massive offer - believed to be close to $1 million a season - with the Melbourne Rebels.

Folau has until Friday to decide whether he will take up a two-year option to remain at the Broncos, but he would be sacrificing up to $500,000 a season to stay in rugby league.

Brisbane CEO Bruno Cullen admitted he was increasingly nervous about the club's prospects of retaining Folau as he weighs up the huge offer to join the fledgling Super rugby franchise.

"You are always nervous when they haven't signed and if the offer is anywhere near the vicinity of what is being speculated, we are obviously going to struggle," Cullen said last night. "It would be very disappointing to lose him. But we understand it is a substantial offer and what do you say to a young kid who has the chance to make quite extraordinary amounts of money at such an early stage of his career?

Start of sidebar.

"He has told us he really loves rugby league and enjoys being at the Broncos.

"But this offer has come along in the past few days and it will be difficult for him to ignore."

The Rebels' offer is approaching $1 million a season, with the ARU's contribution to be propped up by third-party arrangements.

Following Karmichael Hunt's shock defection to join the new AFL side on the Gold Coast last year, the loss of Folau, who has scored six tries in five games this season, would rip a massive hole in the Broncos backline.

But Cullen said NRL clubs were powerless to fight back against the massive war chests propping up the AFL and rugby union expansion sides.

He also vehemently denied speculation sweeping the game yesterday that Folau's Broncos contract had been supplemented by a $200,000 "off the table" cash injection provided by high-profile supporters group The Thoroughbreds.

"From my position it is very disappointing to have those sorts of aspersions cast," Cullen said.

"When Israel came to us, even [then Storm CEO] Brian Waldron spruiked that he hadn't joined the Broncos for football reasons, but to be closer to his family. From my understanding he came for less than what the Storm had offered him to stay."

Stalwart Reds winger Peter Hynes yesterday said he could understand the Rebels' big-money play for Folau. "He's a big, powerful guy with unbelievable aerial work and he already has the profile in Melbourne."
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm

As much as I would hate to see Folau leave us his money could be used to strengthen our side dramatically next year. So as bad as it is it should have a positive outcome in the future of our club.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 am

Great.... Neutral

The money would be really handy so we can sign a few more players, but i have really liked Izzy since the moment he arrived at the club. Now he is going to ditch us to go back to Melbourne, when the main reasoning factor behind his move to QLD, was because he wanted to be close to his family. He's obviously not as loyal as i thought, unlike some of the Melbourne Storm players who are willing to take significant pay cuts for the club they love.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Administrator
Roger

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 am

I think the Broncos have stuffed up big time. When they signed Izzy, they lost some very good players. Boyd, Hunt, Ennis, Hannant, Stagg just to name a couple that were probably forced to leave because the Broncos couldn't afford to keep them. I'm not saying that Folau is the only one to let these people go but the Broncos probably didn't think it through and IMO have a very inexperienced squad.
Back to top Go down
ahmed_69
Professional
ahmed_69

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 am

I seen it coming i dont think isreal will reject this offer
Back to top Go down
Saints#1
Professional
Saints#1

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 am

he is gonna be a pretty big loss to the game
Back to top Go down
Cricket nerd
Rookie
Cricket nerd

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:47 am

Where is club loyalty these days. But still, he is a good player, and will be missed.
Back to top Go down
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

Cricket nerd wrote:
Where is club loyalty these days. But still, he is a good player, and will be missed.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
Back to top Go down
Cricket nerd
Rookie
Cricket nerd

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 11:48 am

lol I reckon aye
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Rebels fail (hopefully). Sure signing Israel Folau will be a big appeal to fans but for 1 million dollars he will be a monumental waste of money, as he has pretty much been at the Broncos. When he is on fire he is amazing and he has proved himself as a great athlete, but he's far too flakey and goes missing for long periods and he just doesn't seem like someone who has the fortitude to knuckle down and learn new strageties etc.

If this is confirmed who would the Broncos be looking to buy? I know Civoniceva, Brent Tate (?) etc could well be options at this stage..
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Hannant, Petero and Tate i would think...
Back to top Go down
CANTERBURY BLUES
Professional
CANTERBURY BLUES

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Brisbane paid overs to begin with ... Will have a fair bit to play with.

He doesnt go looking for the ball anywhere near as much as he should, he just waits for it to come out to him... He will get extremely bored in Union
Back to top Go down
Mike Hunt
Trainee
Mike Hunt

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:49 am

i would really love to see us chase billy slater, but i cant see it happening.
Back to top Go down
Caity
Guru
Caity

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:12 am

If he goes he goes.

If he does go to union I hope he's not allowed to play origin/test footy. Noone should be able to if they jump codes.

Meh, what can you do?

We'll just keep trying to rebuild and hopefully keep the likes of Gillett and other young guns!
Back to top Go down
lions10
Professional
lions10

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 am

he can go but he's making a mistake. Union is boring. he will find out
Back to top Go down
dragons10
Veteran
dragons10

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 am

dont want him to go. But we could use him at sydney hint hint
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 am

lions10 wrote:

shut your mouth.
Back to top Go down
dragons10
Veteran
dragons10

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 am

lions10 wrote:

soooooooooooooo true bye bye Izzy 798517 bye bye Izzy 843646
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:06 am

His decision is to be made tomorrow, but he has asked Coach hobbit for more time to think it over. I don't think he should be allowed more time, because we have a game tomorrow, and he needs to be in the right mental state playing tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 pm

He only wants to take more time so he doesnt jepordise his rep jerseys.
Back to top Go down
Saints#1
Professional
Saints#1

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm

yerr i think he wants to make his decision later, just so he could play in rep footy one last time
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27056697-23211,00.html

Brisbane Broncos star Israel Folau linked with switch to AFL

April 29, 2010

The AFL could offer big money to rugby league star Israel Folau in a bold bid to recruit him for their Greater Western Sydney expansion team.

Folau is expected to tell Brisbane Broncos on Friday that he will activate a clause in his contract and leave the club at the end of this season.

There is also widespread speculation he will join the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 rugby team.

But Channel Nine's AFL Footy Show is reporting that Folau's management approached the AFL several weeks ago.

Last year, league star Karmichael Hunt sensationally announced a switch to the Gold Coast team, which will join the AFL next year.

The Footy Show is saying that the AFL have tested Folau and are considering an offer to him of up to $3 million over three years.

Much of the money would be for promoting the Greater Western Sydney team, scheduled to join the AFL in 2012.

The AFL were unavailable for comment on Thursday night.

Seeya later Izzy, piss off

In all seriousness, i hope he decides to stay, that's looking unlikely now.
Back to top Go down
liam_bombers
Guru
liam_bombers

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:06 am

Folau could play aussie rules footy well imo. Unlike KHunt and Inglis who have yet to prove any skills that are involved in the game.
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 5:12 am

when does that afl team start up ??
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 5:37 am

liam_bombers wrote:
Folau could play aussie rules footy well imo. Unlike KHunt and Inglis who have yet to prove any skills that are involved in the game.

KHunt played a high level as a jnr, so I would say he has more going for him then Izzy does
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

bye bye Izzy Empty
PostSubject: Re: bye bye Izzy   bye bye Izzy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

bye bye Izzy
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com