Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
SMASH
Guru
SMASH

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

im not sure the afl are looking at converting 10-20+ year league fans, but more the up and comers, the next generation. and i think thir plan would be to be the number 1 code, or atleast significantly bridged the gap in GWS in the next 10-20 years. flood their tv's with ads with falou as the talking point and try and get kids in that area kicking a footy around instead. either way, people will still tune in quite often to see how he goes, theres no doubt about that, especially with some quality advertising of the game in that area (just like that deal or no deal ep today, had ads all week saying 'she will win 200,000'. they just told us she will win, but why did people tune in then? i dunno, but my mum had been talking all week about, and ended up watching it. will be interesting to see how many people did watch it, but my guess would be more than usual.) i guess the point im getting at there is that people are intrigued.
Back to top Go down
Shooter
Guru
Shooter

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

socceroos06 wrote:
This is going to have both positive and negatives on the AFL but as far as I see it, the negatives certainly outweigh the positives. Yeah sure, people will be interested to see how this popular league star will go in a foreign game, but seriously how long will that interest last? What 1, maybe 2 months? Then everything is back to normal. There are certainly going to be more negative implications on the AFL. For example, there are going to be a lot of pissed off league fans in Sydney...why on earth would any of them go to an AFL match to support someone who has completely dogged the game they love? Sure they will turn on the telly to see how he goes, but like I said, that wont last for long. Right now, it gives GWS some publicity at least, but really they can't expect that Israel Folau is going to convert league fans?

You say the negatives outweigh the positives but listed no negatives.

Also, SMASH was pretty much on the money, gives kids something to think about as well. This is something that the AFL will hope has a long-term effect as well as in the short term.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Shooter wrote:
socceroos06 wrote:
This is going to have both positive and negatives on the AFL but as far as I see it, the negatives certainly outweigh the positives. Yeah sure, people will be interested to see how this popular league star will go in a foreign game, but seriously how long will that interest last? What 1, maybe 2 months? Then everything is back to normal. There are certainly going to be more negative implications on the AFL. For example, there are going to be a lot of pissed off league fans in Sydney...why on earth would any of them go to an AFL match to support someone who has completely dogged the game they love? Sure they will turn on the telly to see how he goes, but like I said, that wont last for long. Right now, it gives GWS some publicity at least, but really they can't expect that Israel Folau is going to convert league fans?

You say the negatives outweigh the positives but listed no negatives.

Also, SMASH was pretty much on the money, gives kids something to think about as well. This is something that the AFL will hope has a long-term effect as well as in the short term.

The fact that already 2 AFL clubs have just signed two players who have never played the game before, on pretty high paid contracts is a pretty big negative in itself. It is clearly a publicity stunt which I think will fail miserably because it takes more than one player to win over fans from other codes. I know I didn't exactly list many negatives but I just cannot see NRL fans being interested in AFL all of a sudden
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 pm

SMASH wrote:
im not sure the afl are looking at converting 10-20+ year league fans, but more the up and comers, the next generation. and i think thir plan would be to be the number 1 code, or atleast significantly bridged the gap in GWS in the next 10-20 years. flood their tv's with ads with falou as the talking point and try and get kids in that area kicking a footy around instead. either way, people will still tune in quite often to see how he goes, theres no doubt about that, especially with some quality advertising of the game in that area (just like that deal or no deal ep today, had ads all week saying 'she will win 200,000'. they just told us she will win, but why did people tune in then? i dunno, but my mum had been talking all week about, and ended up watching it. will be interesting to see how many people did watch it, but my guess would be more than usual.) i guess the point im getting at there is that people are intrigued.

Yeah you make some valid points about the attempt to get kids interested in the game and all but the motive is surely more than that. Folau has just signed some ridiculous contract which reportedly has him earning more than sme of the best players in the game, and he is un-proven in this sport! The point I'm trying to get at here is that he is cleary being used as a marketing tool, not just to promote the game to young kids, but to promote it to cross-code fans and try win them over. I just dont think it will work because it will take alot more than one athlete to convince NRL fans in western Sydney to buy a ticket/membership to GWS matches
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 5:06 am

From experience. As a kid growing up, I was a big fan of the Broncos and my favorite players were their two giant wingers at that time (Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuquri). But it was interesting watching them play Union. And I followed them...but not to the extent where I fully converted to a be a Wallabies supporter and ditched league. After a while i lost interest in them as life went on but still remained a passionate Broncos supporter.

As I said earlier, "no player is bigger then the team."

This will no doubt be the same to many kids who look up to Izzy.

By the way, can anybody remember the rugby league player that crossed codes to AFL way earlier before KHunt? He wasnt a superstar so it slipped under the rader but i remember there was one.
Back to top Go down
Damo
Guru
Damo

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 6:38 am

^Well said mate
Back to top Go down
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27219143-5018866,00.html

Quote :
A red Sherrin mysteriously appeared at Brisbane's training headquarters on Thursday as Israel Folau's NRL teammates did their best to embarrass the AFL's latest millionaire.

Howls of laughter swept across the training field at Red Hill when Sam Thaiday climbed up on Folau's back to take a mock mark.

Teammates then tried to coerce the 21-year-old to kick the Sherrin between the goal posts.

“Take a snap Izzy,” urged one player as others kicked the red leather ball around the ground.

Try as they may, Folau would not put his boot to the AFL ball before coach Ivan Henjak finally called a halt to the frivolity to get his players focussed on the more serious task of preparing for Sunday's tough NRL clash with Manly at Brookvale Oval.

Brisbane skipper Darren Lockyer dug the Sherrin out of a cupboard and pumped it up himself, knowing it would help break the ice with Folau and the players. It worked.
Haha classic.

Guru
Caity

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 6:25 pm

If Inglis goes to the AFL I think i might cry.

Why do the AFL need to poach NRL players? Why do union and super league?

F*** OFF!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 pm

Caity wrote:
If Inglis goes to the AFL I think i might cry.

Why do the AFL need to poach NRL players? Why do union and super league?

F*** OFF!!!!!!

Believe me now, he won't...
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Steal some freaking NSW players for christs sake.
Back to top Go down
Caity
Guru
Caity

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 04, 2010 7:42 pm

SUGEKNIGHT wrote:
From experience. As a kid growing up, I was a big fan of the Broncos and my favorite players were their two giant wingers at that time (Wendell Sailor and Lote Tuquri). But it was interesting watching them play Union. And I followed them...but not to the extent where I fully converted to a be a Wallabies supporter and ditched league. After a while i lost interest in them as life went on but still remained a passionate Broncos supporter.

As I said earlier, "no player is bigger then the team."

This will no doubt be the same to many kids who look up to Izzy.

By the way, can anybody remember the rugby league player that crossed codes to AFL way earlier before KHunt? He wasnt a superstar so it slipped under the rader but i remember there was one.

Agree with Damo, very well said.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Forumotion's free forums | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com