Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:17 pm

manly4lyf wrote:
Svoerman wrote:
LOL the NRL is dying a slow death... by 2020 the AFL will be the main sport in NSW... seriously what hope does the code have if top players are switching codes or moving overseas for more money.
Yes, two players leave. There are always up and comers to replace them..

Its more the fact that the marquee are leaving the game for more money, which means the game has less talent in the game and as a result means the spectical of the game suffers in a negative way, which in return means people are less likely to go to to the games, resulting in lower crowds, meaning less revenue for clubs and for the poorer clubs more debt and in return the NRL has to keep giving them money to "break even"

Now you combine that with the fact that the players who are still in the NRL want more money which the clubs can't afford to pay them as it meaning the NRL has to fork out even more money to keep them happey. By this time the NRL has very little money to expand and develop the game out side of QLD/NSW which means the code is unable to grow.

Now those people who have turned away from the NRL as a result of its lower spectical will switch to a subsitute sport (either the AFL or Soccer). This would then mean that crowds for these sports in GWS will rise while the NRL crowds will fall.

Now when you compare that to the AFL who have expanded into WA/SA and as a result have clubs in those states plus, 8 of the 10 Victorian clubs running at a profit means that the AFL would only have to use some of their money to keep only a fewer number of clubs afloat compared to the NRL which as a result allows them to move and develop the game in NSW and QLD and take some of the NRL crowds, something the NRL can't do to the AFL.

So yea, give it 10 years and the AFL will be popular in GWS

---
Its just a domino effect...

not sure if that make sense but just rushed it
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:51 pm

liam_bombers wrote:
Beckham wrote:
What a classic..

[21:42:25] @ TGBY : Brett White is quitting to work at Coles cos the pay is better

LOOOOOL TGBY.

Good to see Hutchy is right for once... Israel Faloo is going to the AFL hahaha.

Faloo Laughing.

This thread reeks of bitterness lol. Dont get me wrong, im sad hes leaving but if it frees up some salary cap space and we capitalise on it then so be it.
Two or three quality players are better than one Izzy.

I hope he still gets picked for the Queensland side, I think its pretty clear in the last few weeks that his heart is still in it and I expect it to still be in it this time tomorrow if this does get announced. Good luck to him though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
TheFeldster
Legend
TheFeldster

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Haha, look at the AFL/NRL bashing in here. Quite funny.

In all honesty, though, if he wants to switch codes, he's more than entitled to. As SMASH said, people change jobs constantly, why can't he?

This bitterness is stupid IMO. If a star Crows player left the team, I'd actually prefer them to go to another league rather than a rival club... means we don't have to play against them Grin
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Everyone saying that Israel Folau is a massive blow to NRL, have a long hard look at yourselves. He is a winger, for christs sake. No player is bigger than the sport, let alone a freakin winger !!!

This is the man who single handedly ripped our team apart with Eastwood, Clinton, Ennis, Hannant, Stagg, and Taylor all leaving, so he could get more money.

AFL can have Izzy. He and Hunt will have the best handling, tackling, catching skills in the AFL. Which is sad when they come from another sport
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:24 pm

NRL_Fanatic wrote:
^^ lol the player who he has been smashing in competing for the high ball in those pics is Anthony Quinn

was that ment for me???
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm

jtm91 wrote:
Hutchy was right. he said he was 100% certain he would join afl

Let's be honest here, Hutchy has to get ONE thing right.

Max1990 wrote:
We are always the club that gets raided by Union and
AFL, mainly because we have had some of the best talent in the country
for many years now.
Don't know what this means now for the club trying
to lure Inglis He should be our number 1 target now, if we get him then
i won't care about Folau leaving.

Folau was from the Storm though. It's not like the Broncos have brought him up through the years. AFL teams would have seen the potential in him while he was playing for the Storm.
Back to top Go down
Shooter
Guru
Shooter

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Hutchy nearly always gets the job done.

He was laughed at when he said Judd would leave West Coast, knew about the Hunt to AFL story months before anyone else and then was the first to break it and now this.

Hutchy = the man.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Guru
Tank

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 6:04 pm

Bronco_josh wrote:
Everyone saying that Israel Folau is a massive blow to NRL, have a long hard look at yourselves. He is a winger, for christs sake. No player is bigger than the sport, let alone a freakin winger !!!

This is the man who single handedly ripped our team apart with Eastwood, Clinton, Ennis, Hannant, Stagg, and Taylor all leaving, so he could get more money.

AFL can have Izzy. He and Hunt will have the best handling, tackling, catching skills in the AFL. Which is sad when they come from another sport
Tackling - yeah most likely, marking - arguable (Folau maybe), handling - no way.
Back to top Go down
neil21
Guru
neil21

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 11:03 pm

Big Izzy will be no good
AFL isnt a sport you can just pick up in a night
K-Hunt will be much better as he has played before
Back to top Go down
All_Star94
Guru
All_Star94

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 12:34 am

jtm91 wrote:
NRL_Fanatic wrote:
^^ lol the player who he has been smashing in competing for the high ball in those pics is Anthony Quinn

was that ment for me???

no, it was supposed to be for those pictures of Izzy but you beat me to it in replying.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy
Guru
Fuzzy

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 2:55 am

Haha, we are in your NRL stealing your players, cause we have more money and we can. Don't blame the guy if he wants to play an interesting sport rather then british bulldogs with a ball. You're all so bitter.

On a more serious note, i don't and wont know if Folau (i have heard of him before) will be a good AFL player for a while, but he is going to be a great pick up for Western Sydney on a marketing side of things. He is a well known rugby player (he has to be if i know him), that will generate interest in the rugby loving Western Sydney area. IMO, its a smart move by GWS even if it is a lot of money.
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:09 am

I still think it's a joke but I can't do anything about it.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Guru
Tank

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 3:42 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Haha, we are in your NRL stealing your players, cause we have more money and we can. Don't blame the guy if he wants to play an interesting sport rather then british bulldogs with a ball. You're all so bitter.

On a more serious note, i don't and wont know if Folau (i have heard of him before) will be a good AFL player for a while, but he is going to be a great pick up for Western Sydney on a marketing side of things. He is a well known rugby player (he has to be if i know him), that will generate interest in the rugby loving Western Sydney area. IMO, its a smart move by GWS even if it is a lot of money.
Even though I'm no League fan, I've got the feeling he'd be a Naitanui/Majak Daw (from what I've seen) freakish athletic player. Not all that skillful, but a total freak in everything else. Ideally as an AFL fan you'd want those who have worked their arse off all their life to make it first, but yeah definitely a smart move by GWS.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:31 am

^^ Correct. He is built like Nic Nat and Majak Daw. Folau can't kick a ball very well, mainly because he's never played AFL before. Basically, GWS have signed a player for 3 million dollars that cannot kick an AFL footy.

Last edited by Max1990 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 am

i dont think the NRL really has to worry about the AFL poaching any more players.

hunt and folau are going to both be used to draw the audiences in league dominated areas. GC and GWS needed an icon that would get some publicity and hopefully draw league fans over. i see it as a good marketing move by the AFL but i dont think the NRL have anything to fear in regards to poaching.
Back to top Go down
Enforcer
Guru
Enforcer

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 am

i dont follow league very closely, but i'm quite disappointed like the rest of you league supporter's. I just cannot imagine Folau playing AFL. he suits rugby (union and league) to the bone. his talent would be better used away from afl. but then again its his choice and not ours. good luck to him, i hope he does well. just wish he was signing for the Melbourne Rebels.
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:29 am

where abouts is the home ground for GWS going to be?
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:41 am

Styletix wrote:

Blacktown Olympic Park, the capacity is only 10k.
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:44 am

Max1990 wrote:
Styletix wrote:

still wouldn't sell that out
Back to top Go down
Shooter
Guru
Shooter

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:52 am

They won't be playing there, it will be there training and facilities ground like Windy Hill, Alberton, Arden Street etc.

They'll surely be playing at ANZ Stadium or that ground where Sydney played in the NAB Cup.
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 am

Max1990 wrote:
Styletix wrote:

damn its a shithole there.. they'd be lucky to get near 10k

surely they'll play elsewhere
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am

Yeah i just realized that. Apparently they will most likely play at ANZ stadium or the Sydney Showground (Homebush Bay).

Edit: Just found this

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/m-to-build-ground-for-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frg7mf-1225867938889
Back to top Go down
Damo
Guru
Damo

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 am

Big meh.
As good as Folau is, I don't want some money-grubbing C*** with no loyalty playing in our code. Now to watch him epic fail in AFL, as well a Khunt.

Pretty pissed off, we show him loyalty etc. and he shows us nothing.

I hope he gets booed at all the matches.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 am

ANZ is a square field how will the play there?

Is the ground seating at ANZ removable?
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 am

haha Damo

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27208643-5018851,00.html

^^ Kevin Sheedy talking about Folau's move to GWS at today's press conference
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS   BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Israel Folau signs with AFL side GWS
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com