Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

SBW Coming to NZRU!

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

SBW Coming to NZRU! Empty
PostSubject: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 6:01 am

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7352324/sonny-return-nz-rugby-aiming-blacks
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sonny Bill to return to NZ rugby, aiming for All Blacks
NZPA - June 6, 2010, 7:14 am
Sonny Bill Williams NZPA ©️

Sonny Bill Williams will return to New Zealand rugby next month, giving up a record contract at French club Toulon in hope of making the All Blacks ahead of next year's World Cup.

The 24-year-old would take up an 18-month contract with the NZRU, but was yet to decide which provincial and Super 15 teams he would play for, the Sydney Morning Herald
reported today.

An official announcement would be made this week.

NZRU acting chief executive Neil Sorensen told media two weeks ago an offer had been made to Williams to play rugby in New Zealand from July.

The offer was "appropriate" for his potential, Reuters reported.

"He's not being offered ridiculous money," Sorenson said.

In April, All Blacks coach Graham Henry advised Williams to return to New Zealand this year to stake his claim for a World Cup spot.

Henry said he'd spoken at length to the gifted former Kiwis league international earlier this year as he mulled over his options before his Toulon contract ended this month.

Williams would take a pay cut if he turned his back on offers from Britain and France, and
possibly NRL clubs, to return home to chase a Super 14 contract.

He had walked out on a five-year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs league side in 2008 to join Toulon.

The French club had recently offered him a world-record $6 million, three-year contract, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

The NZRU was unable to attempt to match Toulon's offer but had given Williams the choice of which teams he would play for, and he was given the option of returning to Europe or the NRL after the World Cup.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope he comes to the Blues! He would be awesome to have!
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 am

Awesome news, but lets remember SBW signing something isn't necessarily a deal. Razz

I can probably see him signing on with the Saders, who boast a nurturing environment and he'd get the chance to play outside the AB first-five.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:00 am

Well if he goes to Counties, isn't that Chiefs region?? So therefore they would have first pick at him, wouldn't they? Anyway I hope he comes back and plays second five so we can build some depth...Having Nonu out really showed us the lack of quality we have in that position.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:06 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Well if he goes to Counties, isn't that Chiefs region?? So therefore they would have first pick at him, wouldn't they? Anyway I hope he comes back and plays second five so we can build some depth...Having Nonu out really showed us the lack of quality we have in that position.

The NZRU was unable to attempt to match Toulon's offer but had given Williams the choice of which teams he would play for, and he was given the option of returning to Europe or the NRL after the World Cup.

Pretty amazed he hasn't accepted Toulons offer if that is true.. 6 mil over 3 years for SBW is unreal. He must actually want to play for the AB's over money SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_eek

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

Haha suppose I should have read the article.

Well I reckon he'll head to the Blues but they have pretty decent centers already in Ranger, McAlister and Stanley.

Chiefs could do with him, although they seemed to like the 10 Delaney 12 Donald combination, and they've got Kahui in the 13.

Hurricanes don't need him. Smith Nonu!!

Crusaders don't want too many darkies.

Highlanders could really use him but can't see him heading down there.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 am

Meh - SBW's overrated Smile
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 11:43 am

Haha you just wait P'Rus he's going to be our next Rugby Union superstar!

Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Good luck to him. I've never seen him play Rugby though....howd's he go?
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 1:42 pm

I think he will walk into the AB's tbh.

Ellison is leaving, McAlister has been mud since he came back, Tuitavake looks to be half the player he was, Kahui is doing nothing for the Chiefs atm.

Smith will definitely be there for the WC. Nonu will be as well and may #13 in a game or 2. I think Toeava will get a utility role and should also play #13 in a game or 2. IMO Kahui and SBW will fight it out for that back up centre spot.
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 am

KromyD wrote:
I think he will walk into the AB's tbh.

Ellison is leaving, McAlister has been mud since he came back, Tuitavake looks to be half the player he was, Kahui is doing nothing for the Chiefs atm.

Smith will definitely be there for the WC. Nonu will be as well and may #13 in a game or 2. I think Toeava will get a utility role and should also play #13 in a game or 2. IMO Kahui and SBW will fight it out for that back up centre spot.

Yeah he would walk in! Probably a bench player for the AB's though! I think he may go to the Crusaders just so he can join Carter, the AB's first five and form a good combination with him.

What i have seen of SBW in rugby is that he is very incosistent but thats probably because he is new to the game. Can't wait to see him running around in the AB's Jumper and becoming a Duel international SBW Coming to NZRU! 575896
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 am

Would be an asset to any side. Read in the paper this morning that the Blues and Crusaders are the front runners for him...

9. Fotuali'i
10. Carter
11. Guildford
12. SBW
13. Fruean
14. Slade
15. Dagg

Looks like a pretty awesome backline...

Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:14 am

Wheres Any Ellis mate? I'm pretty sure he would still be ahead of Fotuali'i.

Maitland would keep his position ahead of Slade. Slade aint much of a winger!

9. Matthewson
10.Brett
11. Wulf
12. McAlister
13. SBW
14. Rokocoko
15. Toeava

Not too bad either considering Ranger, Stanley would be on the bench.

Last edited by Rozza on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 am

Andy Ellis is shit...and Slade can play any where, but yea you're probably right Maitland would keep his spot.

I'd have

9. Mathewson
10. Brett
11. Wulf
12. SBW
13. Ranger
14. Rokocoko
15. Toeava

Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Andy Ellis is shit...and Slade can play any where, but yea you're probably right Maitland would keep his spot.

I'd have

9. Mathewson
10. Brett
11. Wulf
12. SBW
13. Ranger
14. Rokocoko
15. Toeava

They all will probably be selected in the All Black's World cup squad.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 8:34 am

I really hope Stephen Brett is never an All Black and I reckon there are still better options than Wulf.

Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 am

sbw will be a good AB one day but i reckon he's left his run too late for the WC. he needs to get his fitness up to s14 levels. npc wont cut it
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:31 am

Says his deal is worth 550 000. In that case every All Black should be getting more than that because they have actually been here proving themselves whereas he hasn't proved anything. He won't be better than Nonu. Took Nonu quite a while to learn to play 12, particularly the passing aspect and SBW won't waiy around that long
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:33 am

Nonu still hasn't nailed the passing aspect of the number 12 role.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 am

Yea but I bet he has it alot better than Sonny Bill, just as hard to tackle too
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 2:45 am

Yea no doubt, I'd definitely have Nonu in the 12 over SBW, the combination of Smith and Nonu is one of, if not the strongest centre pairing in the world.

Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:56 pm

In case you've missed the awesome news -

Hopes high Sonny Bill will head to sunny Bay

Hawke's Bay rugby and their main sponsor have confirmed a lucrative combined attempt to lure Sonny Bill Williams to Napier.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/3837017/Hopes-high-Sonny-Bill-will-head-to-sunny-Bay

would be awesome to have him. We'll be without Zac and Izzy for a majority of the season due to ABs duties, so SBW would definitely come in handy.

Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:15 am

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27310194-23217,00.html

Sonny Bill Williams signs with Canterbury and the Crusaders

By staff writers
June 23, 2010

New Zealand rugby fans will get their first glimpse of new recruit Sonny Bill Williams when the former NRL star makes his Canterbury debut in Christchurch on July 30.
The 24-year-old will play out the rest of this season with Canterbury in the national provincial competition before taking up a one-year contract with the Crusaders in next year’s Super 15 competition.

Williams plans to arrive in New Zealand next Wednesday, after his second professional fight in Brisbane on the Anthony Mundine undercard.

The controversial star is believed to have turned down a more lucrative offer from Hawkes Bay, a deal said to be twice the value of Canterbury’s offer, in a bold bid to gain All Blacks’ selection for next year’s World Cup.

The deal means both New Zealand captain Richie McCaw and superstar five-eighth Dan Carter will be Williams’ teammates at both NPC and Super 15 level, an opportunity obviously too good for Williams to refuse.

Here comes SBW........
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:36 am

No deal with Williams yet, say Canterbury

Canterbury Rugby Football Union says any deal with Sonny Bill Williams has yet to be signed, sealed and delivered.

Responding to an Australian report this morning that Williams' hunt for an All Blacks jersey would begin with Canterbury, union chief executive Hamish Riach told Radio Sport nothing had been confirmed between the union and Williams.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported Williams had decided to sign with Canterbury in the national provincial championship which begins on July 30 and for the Crusaders in next year's Super 15 competition, spurning lucrative pitches from Hawke's Bay, North Harbour and Counties-Manukau.

The newspaper said Williams, a former National Rugby League player, believed playing alongside the likes of
Dan Carter and Richie McCaw at provincial and Super rugby level was thebest path to representing New Zealand who will host next year's World Cup.

Williams, who left French club Toulon to sign with the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU), has the option of returning European competition after the World Cup.

Canterbury are the reigning national provincial champions and the best performed New Zealand franchise in this year's Rebel Sport Super 14, finishing fourth.

http://www.allblacks.com/news/13404/No-deal-with-Williams-yet-say-Canterbury
Back to top Go down
philly
Guru
philly

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:40 am

Who gives a shit about Williams when Tana is back Smile
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 am

philly wrote:
Who gives a shit about Williams when Tana is back Smile

Past it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SBW Coming to NZRU!   SBW Coming to NZRU! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SBW Coming to NZRU!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com