Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

2010 NPC Squads and Discusson

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Empty
PostSubject: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 pm

Figure a single thread for everything NPC (ITM can kiss my ass) is in order where we can discuss squads, potential lineups, and, once it's all running, week-to-week matches.

Keen to also put together a list of active members discussing it and the team(s) they support:

Name1st Team2nd Team
PantherusWellingtonHawke's Bay
RozzaHawke's BayAuckland
HendogHawke's BayManawatu

I haven't really taken a good look at the various squads thus far this year so can't really make a call on potential winners etc - I'd assume Canterbury are again looking strong (and there'll be special interest there in how SBW performs), Wellington seem about the same - but I'm not 100% sure whether Alby Mathewson's transfer to Auckland was one of those fancy back-loan deals so I'm not sure if he's gonna be playing for Wellington or Auckland...

Colin Cooper's been doing some serious recruiting for Taranaki and they're actually looking very strong - possible semi-finalists...

As the HB boys have been discussing, the Magpies look set to continue their strong run in the provincial competition, but I wonder whether the likes of Lee and Dagg being out of the picture is going to hurt? I hope not Smile

Southland of course hold the Ranfurly Shield as of the start of the season so it's progress will be interesting - a first-up challenge against Otago should be a thrilling encounter.

Last edited by Pantherus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:02 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/3872460/Pakus-timing-astray-for-Wellington

Shannon Paku is back in town but there's uncertainty whether he'd be able to play for Wellington at this stage, mostly due to the salary cap. They can talk about the good young guys they've got playing atm, I'd take Paku at fullback over any of them

Wellington are of course most likely to be without their All Blacks for the bulk of the competition, potentially all of it so Victor Vito, Piri Weepu, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith and Cory Jane are all out of the picture. Of course their exclusion from the ABs means we have the services of Neemia Tialata and Rodney So'oialo which is a nice boost. We've also lost a few players from last year for various reasons, including Robert Fruean, Daniel Kirkpatrick and Anthony Perenise (there may also be others I haven't been made aware of as I only have last year's roster to work from thus far...) as well as David Smith who has been loaned to Taranaki for the Season, and finally Hosea Gear and U20 Player of the Year Julian Savea are likely to be out of the picture for the start of the season to play for the NZ Sevens team at the Commonwealth Games.

Some positional selections will actually be very interesting, including lock, blindside, 1st Five, centre and wing - 1st 5 especially will be interesting with Weepu on ABs duty and Kirkpatrick headed home to the Hawke's Bay; I don't know if Fa'atonu Fili is still around bu he'd be the assumed starter, of course the early-season form of Michael Hobbs with the Highlanders (where did he go - injured?) could form an argument for him starting in the 10 jersey.
Lock has Thrush all but guaranteed one jersy, but the likes of Daniel Ramsay, Api Naikatini and Mark Reddish could all be vying for locking spots as well.
Blindside flanker is now wide open with Vito with the ABs - Faifili Levave probably has the inside running, Naikatini and Reddish can both play 6 admirably (and have done so in the past) so would be pushing as well. With So'oialo presumably in for season and locking the No.8 jersey, Mathew Luamanu could push for blindside as well.
Openside should just be Serge Lilo's for the season, though Scott Fugistaller will keep him honest and play injury cover since Lilo's just a big porcelain doll Smile

The midfield is an especially interesting battle, with former U20 player Shaun Treeby, Reserve Hurricane Alapati Leiua, and current U20 star Charlie Ngatai all capable of playing in the midfield - while Gear and Savea are away I'd say Leiua will shift to the right wing, Treey at 12 and Ngatai at centre - but once everyone's back...who knows?

Wing will no doubt be monopolised by Gear and Savea eventually, early-on it will probably bu Buxton Popoali'i and Alapati Leiua though, and Cory Aporo (I think that's his name?) will presumably play fullback unless Paku does get back in (though he wasn't mentioned in the article so maybe he's gone...?)

Of course lots of these theories could be tossed out the window if some of these players aren't actually around any more Wink
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 7:39 am

Name1st Team2nd Team
PantherusWellingtonHawke's Bay
Rozza
Hawke's Bay
Auckland
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Lee has be gone for a while now. Eaton was our halfback last season, this year we got Kahn Fotuali'i so we strong there.

Anyway

Hawkes Bay 1 at our central vikings brothers the Manawatu Turbos 2.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Lol my bad Smile

Forgot about Fotuali'i
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 4:19 am

Just saw that Christian Lealiifano will be playing for Waikato. How did they manage to get him and what for?

He is born in Auckland but with Waikato having Donald already, why did they make a play for him? Is Delany theres as well?
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 6:27 am

Delany's with BoP - I think he's essentially there to replace Callum Bruce cause he's gone to Japan...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 8:04 am

Delaney is injured for most the season anyway, I think BoP will struggle this season, expecting them to be in the bottom four along with Manawatu, Counties and Northland.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Well Wellington finally got their act together and have a squad named - Jamie Joseph is tipped to become head coach of the Highlanders (he's an Otago boy originally of course) which means he can't be an NPC coach - current Assistant Andre Bell is tipped to step up and take over the Lions - hopefully this is sorted quickly so the team can settle down...

Lions Squad:

Forwards: Rodney So'oialo (captain), Adrian Barone, Dane Coles, Jacob Ellison, Scott Fuglistaller, Faifili Levave, Serge Lilo, Motu Matu'u, Api Naikatini, Daniel Ramsey, Mark Reddish, Ged Robinson, John Schwalger, David Te Moana*, Jeremy Thrush, Neemia Tialata

Backs: Hayden Cripps*, Fa'atonu Fili, Hosea Gear, Michael Hobbs, Alapati Leiua, Charlie Ngatai, Buxton Popoalii, Julian Savea*, Lima Sopoaga*, Apoua Stewart, Ruki Tipuna, Shaun Treeby.

All Blacks: Cory Jane, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Victor Vito, Piri Weepu, Alby Mathewson.

* denotes uncapped for Wellington.

The article notes that Hobbs and Ellison have been named despite serious back injuries so don't expect to see them any time soon...

Stoked that Alby's still in Wellington so should be the regular halfback once Piri's baby is born (Alby's with the ABs as cover in the meantime). In the meantime Ruki Tipuna (played for the NZ Maori I think...) will start

There's a pretty awesome mix of exciting youth and solid experience here but once again the lack of true talent at 10 leaves the Lions looking vulnerable; Fili is solid and should probably be a regular presence (although that double-pump pass he ALWAYS does really irritates me...) while apparantly this Lima Sopoaga is an exciting prospect...

The pack pretty much picks itself with only 6 really up for grabs with the likes of Levave, Naikatini and Reddish all potentials there - Reddish and Naikatini can both play lock as well. Tialata and Schwalger will be the regular props with Coles almost guaranteed at hooker (of course Robinson was favoured there last season so who knows...), Thrush and Ramsay should be the starting locking pair - and let's hope to the Rugby Gods that the Lions don't suffer the nightmare run of injuries to their locks like last season... - while Lilo and So'oialo should hold the 7 and 8 jerseys tight (though Fugistaller will keep pushing Lilo).

Some back positions have a LOT of competition - namely Midfield and Wing where the likes of Shaun Treeby, Charlie Ngatai, Alapati Leiua, Buxton Popoali'i and Julian Savea have to all fit somewhere (Gear of course holds a mortgage on the 11 jersey), Fullback will likely be either Apoua Stewart or Popoali'i while Ngatai can play there as well (but is best at Centre IMO).

All in all it looks a good side and as usual comes down to whether they can produce results to their potential...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 pm

less than a week away to the competition starts off! pretty excited Smile

Back to top Go down
Gear 2
Rookie
Gear 2

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Auckland has a pretty strong squad

1.Tevita Mailau
2.Tom McCartney
3.Charlie Faumuina
4.Kurtis Haiu
5.Andrew Van Der Heijen
6.Chris Lowrey
7.Daniel Braid
8.Peter Saili
9.Toby Morland
10.Matt Berquist
11.Ateili Pakalani
12.Winston Stanley
13.Ben Atiga
14.Dave Thomas
15.Brent Ward

16.Francis Smith
17.Paea Fa'anunu
18.Dean Budd
19.Onasai Auva'a
20.Eljiah Faleali'i
21.Ash Moeke
22.Chay Raui
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Welcome to the forum mate.

Yea not a bad side, I like the look of that back line, will be interesting to see how Berquist goes. The forwards aren't too strong but it's good to see Daniel Braid back.

So are you an Auckland fan?

Back to top Go down
Gear 2
Rookie
Gear 2

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

yea thanx man. i like the look of pakalani and dave thomas they look like real prospects IMO and those fowards should do the job.
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 11:55 pm

I don't actually really like our (2nd fav team) backline. We are a bit weak on the wings defintly. Don't we have John Afoa?

Mean as lose fowards though.

6.Chris Lowrey
7.Daniel Braid
8.Peter Saili

Canterbury will be pretty hard to stop in this competition i think.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:31 am

Afoa's in the ABs bro
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 3:16 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/3977344/Likely-surgery-places-Lilos-season-in-doubt

Bloody hell - one of the most unlucky players with injuries and he's potentially gone for the season AGAIN!! Ugh...Fugistaller is OK and should perform well enough, but we've got basically nobody else behind him...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 NPC Squads and Discusson   2010 NPC Squads and Discusson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2010 NPC Squads and Discusson
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com