Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Bulldogs making a step backwards

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

Bulldogs making a step backwards Empty
PostSubject: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 am

I wrote this in the 'Confirmed Signings' thread, but I'll make a new one to see what people think of it.

Basically, I believe both signings of young halves Kris Keating and Trent Hodkinson are unnecessary or too ambitious at this point. After a terrible 08 season with the departure of SBW and the wooden spoon, the Dogs entered a new era in 09, as we all know. They signed a good core of players to make a fast recovery from the dreadful 09 season in Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Josh Morris, David Stagg, Brett Kimmorley, etc. These signings showed how much of a well-run club they were in jumping from 16th to 2nd in 2009.

Come 2010, the Dogs have chased a number of young halves, making it clear that they aren't satisfied with Kimmorley's age as they move on. This called for the signing of rookie halfback from Manly, Trent Hodkinson. Hodkinson has definitely been impressive, but with the contract rumoured to be worth 800k over a few years, he looks to be expected way too much of. Hodkinson has only played half a season behind a decent Manly side. With recent form, I believe Hodkinson has been found out like a lot of young halves as his kicking game has dropped and his defence has gotten pretty weak.

So as I said in the other thread, he has barely learnt his trade. To avoid that common 2nd year syndrome, Hodkinson would have been placed in a halves combination with pretty much no one better than Brett Kimmorley, who has pretty much seen it all in First Grade throughout his career. Though with the signing of Keating, although it may set them up well for a future halves combination, the pair is set to struggle with no experience. The two of them would barely have experience as starters, let alone together. To add to this, the Dogs are likely to have one of the weakest forward packs in the competition. Already they lack some attacking forwards, and with the coming departure of leading forward Ben Hannant, this is set to add to the struggles of the two developing halves. Too much will be expected of these two.

So in conclusion, after recruiting a good core of players and seemingly having a team in its prime, the Dogs have taken a step backwards in their development with these two young halves. The Keating siging was unnecessary and should have gone to an attacking forward who would do wonders for this Dogs team.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:56 am

I think these were good signings by the Bulldogs. Both show promise, and yeah they might suffer from second year syndrome, but in the end I think Keating and Hodkinson could prove a leathal partnership. I agree with you that the Bulldogs are being ambitious, but I think this gamble might pay off.
Back to top Go down
manly4lyf
Guru
manly4lyf

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Hodkinson has been of poor lately, yet he'll definately bounce back, we're not playing too flash.
He'll be a good signing for the Dogs, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 1:17 pm

What I am saying is that you would think the Dogs are in their prime as a club with the recruits they picked up last year, but look to be taking a step backwards in buying two halves who are basically unproven when it comes to consistency at the top level. I thought Hodkinson was a good signing with the way their halves are going (Though the contract was a bit too big), but the Keating signing was unnecessary and it will be hard for them to perform with no experience with them. What could they do that Kimmorley hasn't done. I do believe what the Dogs are creating is a very good core of players for the future, but as I said above, the dogs are meant to be in their prime and these players will more than likely not bring the results immediately. As I said, a step backwards in their re-building process.

A forward should have been a much bigger priority with the loss of Hannant as well.
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Yep. The Dogs should have gotten a good forward to fill for Hannant, as he'll be a pretty big loss. What's going to happen to Ben Barba now?
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

He reckons his best position is fullback I think, so the replacement to Patten if he leaves.
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 pm

While I don't rate Keating much i still think he is a great long term buy for the Dogs. has a great running game on his day and he was snatched up by the dogs for only apparently 180k a season which is a good price. even if he isn't in the starting side he still provides great depth and it's a bonus for the dogs that he can play 6,7 or 9.

The Tank wrote:
Yep. The Dogs should have gotten a good forward to fill for Hannant, as he'll be a pretty big loss. What's going to happen to Ben Barba now?

Barba can play at fullback im pretty sure and apparently Roberts fairs up pretty well in the centres as he is defensively pretty sound (with Idris being moved to second row.)

so my best guess as to how they'll be lining up at full strength next year would be:

1. Barba
2. Turner
3. Roberts
4. Morris
5. Goodwin
6. Keating
7. Hodkinson
8. Tolman
9. Ennis
10. Tandy
11. Idris
12. Foster
13. Stagg
---------
14. Green/Romelo
15. Gordon
16. Browne
17. Eastwood/Paea/Halatau

that forward pack is pretty sound.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 am

Fiji Bati wrote:
While I don't rate Keating much i still think he is a great long term buy for the Dogs. has a great running game on his day and he was snatched up by the dogs for only apparently 180k a season which is a good price. even if he isn't in the starting side he still provides great depth and it's a bonus for the dogs that he can play 6,7 or 9.

I agree, the fact that you said long term is what my whole point is. This Dogs side, after coming second, is in its prime and began a new era with the sigings last year. After a pretty sudden rebound in their development as a club, they are making a step backwards in signing two unproven young halves who you'd think wouldn't be able to do more than Kimmorley can. A Hodkinson-Kimmorley halves combination would have been a much better combination for the club than a (what is looking most likely) in Keating Hodkinson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bulldogs making a step backwards   Bulldogs making a step backwards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bulldogs making a step backwards
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com