Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Most Valuable Position

Go down 

Choose.
Fullback
Most Valuable Position Vote_lcap25%Most Valuable Position Vote_rcap
 25% [ 4 ]
Five-Eighth
Most Valuable Position Vote_lcap13%Most Valuable Position Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Halfback
Most Valuable Position Vote_lcap62%Most Valuable Position Vote_rcap
 62% [ 10 ]
Hooker
Most Valuable Position Vote_lcap0%Most Valuable Position Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

Most Valuable Position Empty
PostSubject: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Well the title is pretty much self-explanatory..

For me, it used to be halfback, but now I've changed my mind to the fullback position. Seems to me every fullback nowadays has a good kicking/passing game. They just now have eased the pressure of their halves. These players include Boyd, Slater, Hayne, Gidley, Bowen, Coote, Hohaia plus a lot more. They also must at least touch the ball at least once per every set and they'd make at least 15-20 hit ups per game which is a great effort, including carrying the ball back for their team every set. Fullbacks are usually one of the fastest in their club and with their speed, they have to be everywhere across the park for support plays. Not only their offence is important, their defence is important as well since they are the last line of defence. One missed tackle from the fullback may lead to a long-range try from the opposition.

Well thats just my point. I'm interested to know your side to this.
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 am

Halfback..

They lead the team around the park, responsible for setting up most plays and rely on the kicking game to give the side good field position.

Just like a Quarterback in NFL, Halfback is the glorified position and rightly so imo. The position entails a very gifted athlete with a natural game intelligence that you just cant teach.

You can give big lads the ball, tell them to run straight and make them a front rower... but halfbacks arent just any player, they are the heart and sole of the team.
Back to top Go down
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:06 am

Well nowadays nearly every fullback is almost playing as if they're an extra halfback for me. Darius Boyd is probably the best example, he's always in every attacking play and always delivers the final long cut out ball or short ball for his outside backs to score and thats one of the million reasons why the Dragons are so consistent all the time.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 am

It has been and always will be halfback. They direct the team around the park, and as Style said, are the heart and soul of the team. They are usually looked upon to make that game breaking play and do more thinking than anyone on the field. The role of the Fullback and Hooker have definitely risen over the years and are much more vocal in attack, but the direction the halfback provides makes him the most valuable.
Back to top Go down
Jenko
Guru
Jenko

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:38 am

Halfback and then Fullback, and then Hooker then 5/8th.
Back to top Go down
Maoriczar
Professional
Maoriczar

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:40 am

coaches and then halfback.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 5:09 am

Depends on a lot of teams. For eg the Dragons most valuable position is at 5/8, as is the Raiders. the Tigers would be at hooker, but other than that most would be at halfback
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 6:55 am

Brenton wrote:
Depends on a lot of teams. For eg the Dragons most valuable position is at 5/8, as is the Raiders. the Tigers would be at hooker, but other than that most would be at halfback

the teams are irrelvent mate.. pretend you were building a team, what position would you look to build your team around?
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 10:57 am

im gonna chuck it out there and hopefully start something, i reckon 5/8. Most teams that are playing well this year have a quality 5/8. The half backs role is more of a controlling one but a 6 has that little bit extra in his playing ability.

look at lockyer, soward, campese, benji. they all have the ability to play at 7 but are a lot more lethal wearing the no 6. It shows this year that even with average HB's a team can still excel. This is where, i believe, coaching becomes so important. The coaches have to have set procedures for on the field so control can be kept easily. Look at bennett and his work with the dragons and broncos. They dont have the greatest HB's or hookers, but he has it set up so that they know what to do in any case.

so lets start this haha
Back to top Go down
Ashes
Guru
Ashes

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:24 pm

prop forward.
Back to top Go down
esodays brah
Guru
esodays brah

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:26 pm

bench
Back to top Go down
tigersfan#1
Trainee
tigersfan#1

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Hooker and halfback are by far and away the two most critical positions.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 5:28 pm

DB wrote:
im gonna chuck it out there and hopefully start something, i reckon 5/8. Most teams that are playing well this year have a quality 5/8. The half backs role is more of a controlling one but a 6 has that little bit extra in his playing ability.

look at lockyer, soward, campese, benji. they all have the ability to play at 7 but are a lot more lethal wearing the no 6. It shows this year that even with average HB's a team can still excel. This is where, i believe, coaching becomes so important. The coaches have to have set procedures for on the field so control can be kept easily. Look at bennett and his work with the dragons and broncos. They dont have the greatest HB's or hookers, but he has it set up so that they know what to do in any case.

so lets start this haha

I think you have a case. For example, last year we were struggling at the start of the season, because we were playing Inglis at 5/8 where he was struggling, but once we bought in Finch, everything seemed to move into place. I'm not saying Inglis is not a good 5/8, just saying that a 'full-time' 5/8 can prove to make a difference.
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

I was down at the cross the other week and I was told $50 for missionary, $100 for doggie...
Oh wait..... scratch

Can we have the trainer in the blue shirt as an option?? They've been goin great this year..

Last edited by RED&GREEN4EVA on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 pm

socceroos06 wrote:
DB wrote:

so lets start this haha

I think you have a case. For example, last year we were struggling at the start of the season, because we were playing Inglis at 5/8 where he was struggling, but once we bought in Finch, everything seemed to move into place. I'm not saying Inglis is not a good 5/8, just saying that a 'full-time' 5/8 can prove to make a difference.

This year you were struggling without Cronk (although you were winning, it wasn't the same old storm...) (Could be in trouble next year if you lose either of them I guess..)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Valuable Position   Most Valuable Position Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most Valuable Position
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com