Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Empty
PostSubject: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 3:19 pm

Quote :
He doubts they'll ever do it, but Queensland great Steve Renouf claims Australian selectors will never have a better opportunity to pick an all-Maroon Test side.

While the next Kangaroos side won't be picked until the Four Nations tournament which follows this year's NRL grand final, Renouf says Queensland's State of Origin dominance deserves to be reflected in the Test ranks.

"If they pick players on form, they'd nearly have to pick the entire Queensland team," said Renouf, who played ten Tests and 11 Origins for Queensland in the 1990s.

"I'd love to see that day.

"This is one of the most talented football sides put together, ever.

"The calibre of player across the park, I haven't seen a team like it to be honest, it's an amazing team."

It's hard to argue with Renouf's logic, with perhaps only the wing spot occupied by the AFL-bound Israel Folau and the backrow berth belonging to the underrated Ashley Harrison up for debate.

The remainder of the Queensland starting side would appear to pick themselves, while bench quartet Cooper Cronk, David Shillington, Neville Costigan and David Taylor wouldn't look out of place in the 17-man squad.

Five NSW players started in the mid-year Test against New Zealand in May - wingers Jarryd Hayne and Brett Morris, centre Jamie Lyon and backrowers Luke Lewis and Paul Gallen.

Currently Hayne and Morris would seem to be in a battle for one wing spot with Darius Boyd having almost cemented the other, while Gallen, Lewis, Anthony Watmough and Harrison are in contention for the No.13 jumper.

"They'd probably never do it, they'll find a place for someone from NSW," Renouf said of Test selectors.

"(But) we could field the whole Queensland Origin team and win.

"Really, the Queensland team should totally dominate the Test side."

Perhaps the greatest obstacle to an all-Queensland Test side would be the ninerounds of the NRL regular season and four weeks of finals that are still to play after the Origin series.

Then there is the desire of Test selectors to reward incumbents, with Australia having not lost a match under coach Tim Sheens' reign.

Sheens' first Test side -against New Zealand in last year's mid-year clash - featured arecord-equalling ten Queensland representatives, including anall-Maroon backline and front row.

Maroons and Test backrower Sam Thaiday admitted the length of time between Origin and the Four Nations tournament could hurt some players' chances.

"It's hard, you never know what's going to happen between now and then end of the season," Thaiday said.

"A lot of the players get picked out of whatever teams are playing in the grand final so it's hard to say what selectors will do."
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1079819

I agree with Renouf... the Aussie Sqaud should have a majority of QLDer's in the side, but it is unlikely to happen as the Aussie Selectors really pick a team based on incumbents more so than form.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
CANTERBURY BLUES
Professional
CANTERBURY BLUES

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Aussie squad does have the majority of QLDers
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 pm

CANTERBURY BLUES wrote:
Aussie squad does have the majority of QLDers

I think he's talking about more of a 90/10 Majority rather than a 55/45 majority as was in the last test squad

And I'd agree 100% if the test team was being picked tomorrow, but as it's not being picked for another 3 months or so I'm not sure I do agree, players can lose or gain form dramatically in that span of time, players get injured etc. What I'd expect to happen is if there is a 50/50 call between two players, then those players performances in the origin arena would help split the two.
Back to top Go down
Jennings
Veteran
Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 1:41 am

well JB-NQC that may be a good idea for Queenslanders but not a good idea for NSW as we have form players in the test squad
we had Morris, Lewis, Gallen, Weyman and a few others who were picked because of form so just because these players can't win a series is because there playing with in experinced players which is hard for them
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 5:55 am

Jennings wrote:
well JB-NQC that may be a good idea for Queenslanders but not a good idea for NSW as we have form players in the test squad
we had Morris, Lewis, Gallen, Weyman and a few others who were picked because of form so just because these players can't win a series is because there playing with in experinced players which is hard for them

Which is why given everything, including the Folau situation, the team I would pick atm would be.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Tonga

5. Morris
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Thurston
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Petro
11. Myles
12. Thaiday

13. Lewis

14. Cronk
15. Shillington
16. Taylor

17. Watmough

I honestly believe that would be the best team we could pick right now, I would have Morris on the wing over Hayne easily as Morris is a far better winger than Hayne and Hayne has done nothing on the wing everytime he's played there in rep footy except for a couple of games last year.

Lewis and Watmough would replace Costigan and Harrison but other than that it would be all Qlders atm IMO, that could quite possible change by the end of the year given finals form, loss of form, injuries etc.
Back to top Go down
All_Star94
Guru
All_Star94

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 am

why not just call the international team Queensland. stupid, You cant just make a team that has nearly all the 17 players of the QLD Origin team.
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:59 am

NRL_Fanatic wrote:
why not just call the international team Queensland. stupid, You cant just make a team that has nearly all the 17 players of the QLD Origin team.

Why not?
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

I said i wanted the Australian team to be majority of QLDer's... not every single QLDer from 1-17, because i know that is impossible and the selectors would never do that.

The only New South Welshman that deserve a spot at the moment would be Brett Morris, Luke Lewis, Anthony Watmough and if Lyon says in form after injury, then him too.

But by then anything can happen; injury, suspension, out of form etc.
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:47 am

Australia could use the NSW team and we would still beat the Kiwi's Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Jennings
Veteran
Jennings

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:02 am

The Tank wrote:
Australia could use the NSW team and we would still beat the Kiwi's Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_razz
Nah New Zealand always have a closer game then we have had with Queensland
the past two games were 20-20 and 12-8 to Australia
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:08 am

I was only joking
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:35 am

NRL_Fanatic wrote:

You pick the best players eligible to represent Australia no matter where they come from, if it so happens that 13 or 14 of them are Qlders so be it, the shoe has been on the other foot plenty of times, it was never made an issue of then.....
Back to top Go down
Foordy
Trainee
Foordy

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm

NRL_Fanatic wrote:

Why not. either you haven't been watching league very long or you have a short memory. because i remember teams earlier in the decade, when NSW were dominating origin and the Australian team contained only 2 or 3 QLDers.

so whats the difference now. is it because you are just upset that NSW have just lost their 5th series in a row and that no NSW players would even make the QLD side. Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Damo
Guru
Damo

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 2:26 pm

^Awesome first post
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 2:26 pm

Well yeah, I'm not sure what the use of this article as if QLD really did have the 17 best players in Australia, then they would. The players who are good enough from NSW (Morris, Watmough, Gallen, Lewis, etc.) will be picked. Of course the side will have more QLDers. Pretty redundant article.
Back to top Go down
sportspartners
Trainee

PostSubject: watmough   Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:29 pm

a year ago maybe, but not now. I'd have Lewis yes. But i'd have harrison or costigan on the bench in place of watmough, unless giving away cheap penalties is something you're chasing in your team.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sportspartners.com.au
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Harrison's contribution to his team has been minimal this year and Costigan is very over rated IMO. Folau will no longer be around which means Morris is in there and the only QLDer I'd have starting in the back row would be Thaiaday. Lewis and Watmough's impact is much bigger than anyother QLD backrower. Apart from that and maybe a few bench positions that I haven't considered, yes, it will all be QLD.
Back to top Go down
sportspartners
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:46 pm

why do you think Costigan is "overrated"?
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Well, I'll give it to him that he has had injuries, but the amount of metres and tackles he makes a game (Don't want to be a DD, but thats how it is) just aren't as good as someone like Lewis, Gallen or Watmough. Costigan is good for agression and the hits, but the above 3 mentioned are much more all round backrowers who have a bigger impact. Though, it all is pretty subjective when you talk of over/underrated players.
Back to top Go down
sportspartners
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm

It sure is. On best form i agree re Watmough (I dont like him as a person from what I know/ have heard of him) and Gallen are top shelf. But on current form (this year) they aren't that great. Lewis has to be 13 I agree. Costigan though for impact off the bench is a great asset in any team.

How hard to be a selector huh!!
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm

Sure is.

I agree on Watmough, but Gallen has probably been in career best form. He was sorely missed by Sharks tonight and his work rate in both attack and defence has been great. I wouldn't mind Costigan on the bench as well.
Back to top Go down
elmago
Rookie
elmago

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 4:08 pm

"Australian selectors will never have a better opportunity to pick an all-Maroon Test side."

What does that even mean? Since when do State of O affiliations warrant consideration when the national side is being picked.

This is a stupid article about a non-issue. The Australian team will probably include 13-14 Queenslanders and 3-4 New South Welshmen - as it should. Just pick the best players!
Back to top Go down
CANTERBURY BLUES
Professional
CANTERBURY BLUES

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Costigan Is Papua New Guineas captain...

but then again the international rules for eligibility these days are fucked.
Back to top Go down
sportspartners
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm

am pretty sure there are special exceptions for the world cup that have muddied those waters
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 8:58 am

CANTERBURY BLUES wrote:
Costigan Is Papua New Guineas captain...

but then again the international rules for eligibility these days are fucked.

That was only during the WC, different rules during the WC, plus you don't have to wait 2 years after playing for another team in the WC to play for Aust, NZ etc, hence why Hayne played for Fiji in 08 and Aust in 09.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.    Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Renouf calls for all-QLD Test side.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com