Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 pm

I dont think they should be allowed to take the pay cuts.

If they all really loved the club as much as they all say they shouldnt have held out for so much money and put the team in this position in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:32 pm

Wouldn't it be better for them to offer pay cuts to show their loyalty now, as opposed to immediately jumping ship like some players have?
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Tanswell87 wrote:
I dont think they should be allowed to take the pay cuts.

If they all really loved the club as much as they all say they shouldnt have held out for so much money and put the team in this position in the first place.

Again, how do we know that they knew about what was happening. It's easy to say "of course they knew!" but the contract system is a complex one and the admit were paying our players in small increments that accumulated to large totals over time.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm

I didnt say they did know but they would have to have known with 4 of them pushing for really big deals that something like this was bound to happen and if they really loved the club so much they wouldnt have pushed to have such big deals.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Tanswell87 wrote:
I didnt say they did know but they would have to have known with 4 of them pushing for really big deals that something like this was bound to happen and if they really loved the club so much they wouldnt have pushed to have such big deals.

Fair call...but I think you're underestimating how much they love the club. Inglis cried when he was told he might have to leave after the cap saga. He pretty much demanded he was staying. Although obviously rethought when the Broncos offer came but thats another story
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:03 pm

I get the feeling it's the same story with a more downer ending for Storm fans.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:13 pm

socceroos06 wrote:
Tanswell87 wrote:

Fair call...but I think you're underestimating how much they love the club. Inglis cried when he was told he might have to leave after the cap saga. He pretty much demanded he was staying. Although obviously rethought when the Broncos offer came but thats another story

They might love the club alot more then I think.

But if they did love it so much they shouldn't have shopped themselves around so much and jacked there prices up. Thats what put them all in this situation to start with.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Max1990 wrote:
Laughing

IMO they should release Cronk or Inglis.
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:21 pm

IMO if your putting your signature to 2 separate contracts with varying total then you have to know that something ain't quite right.. The NRL shouldn't have to bend over backwards and let them stay for "less" then the contracts they signed. The Storm (Players and admin.) put themselves in this situation and now have to deal with the consequences. Lets not forget that with the findings being handed over to police that some of these players might be playing in stripes in the near future.. Anywhere else it's called fraud..
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 pm

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27410504-5018866,00.html

Melbourne Storm may sell Greg Inglis to get under NRL salary cap: experts

By John Clark
foxsports.com.au
July 15, 2010

Exclusive: Greg Inglis looms as the man most likely to be sold by Melbourne Storm as the shamed NRL club bids to get under the league's salary cap for the 2011 season.

Fox Sports rugby league experts Warren Smith and Scott Sattler agree that Inglis is the one of the Storm's big four - Inglis, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater - to leave the Victorian club.

Figures revealed on Thursday by News Limited chief executive John Hartigan show the Storm were more than $1 million over the cap in the 2010 season alone.

The estimate, based on Deloitte's investigation, for the 2011 season was an additional breach of $1.3 million.

The quartet have offered to take pay cuts to assist the club in their efforts to retain them all and get under the $4.2 million cap but Sattler said it was looking increasingly difficult.

"I think they've got to let one of the big four go but which one? They're all champions of our
game," Sattler told foxsports.com.au.

"Cooper Cronk, the coach loves him. He's the guy who gets (Craig) Bellamy's message to the players, he gets what the coach wants.

"Billy Slater is going to go down as one of the all-time greats of our game and Cameron Smith is an incredible player and incredible leader.

"We all know how good Greg Inglis is but he might have to be the one they let go. That's one position they have some depth in. It's a tough call."

Brisbane Broncos have pulled the plug on their pursuit of Inglis after the 23-year-old's management snubbed a $400,000 offer.

The Broncos reiterated that their first and final offer was now off the table leaving Inglis likely to listen to offers from rival codes, including the AFL.

Smith said it was imperative that Bellamy had Smith, Cronk and Slater in 2011.

"Inglis is the one who might miss out, they need to keep the other three," Smith said.

"If they can manage to keep the four of them then there's going to be a massive gap between them and the rest in terms of playing experience.

"They did beat the Bulldogs when Bellamy rested Slater and Inglis and Smith was unavailable but they won't want to go into a season without them, that's for sure."

Sattler said Bellamy would once again have to use his undeniable ability to nurture junior talent to ensure the Storm were competitive beyond this wasted season.

"Bellamy's got a great record turning ordinary players into stars and that Storm team has been tight as any," Sattler said.

"The coach is going to have a big job getting them back on their feet but you wouldn't want anyone else in charge."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27410572-5018866,00.html

Brisbane Broncos say 'no deal' to superstar Greg Inglis joining their club

By Wayne Heming
July 15, 2010

Brisbane Broncos have ruled out making an approach to Melbourne Storm superstar Greg Inglis following the release of a report into the full extent of the NRL club's rorting of the salary cap.

The Storm's owners, News Limited, confirmed on Thursday that financial auditors Deloitte had discovered that the club's breaches were a massive $3.17 million over the cap from 2006 rather than the initial $1.7 million first believed.

Melbourne, who were stripped of two premierships and forced to play this season for no points, are faced with the prospect of having to release several players to fit under the cap in 2011.

The club were hoping by releasing as many as 10 players they can retain their so-called 'fab four' of Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis and Cooper Cronk.

However, that prospect could become almost impossible in light of the new figure revealed by Deloitte and the Storm may have to lose at least one of the quartet.

Inglis, who asked the Storm for a release last week to move to Brisbane on compassionate grounds, had an offer from the Broncos withdrawn on Monday after his manager, Allan Gainey, told them it wasn't good enough.

The Queensland giants were unimpressed by the way their offer, believed to be around $400,000-a-season, was snubbed, and it's now “off the table” as far as they are concerned.

Inglis, cleared by the Deloitte report of knowing his and other third-party player deals had pushed the club over the cap, is understood to be on $580,000-a-season with the fallen premiers.

However, Thursday's events could change things.

Brisbane are one of the fewy clubs in the NRL, if not the only club in the league, with a war chest with enough cash to pick up a blue-chip player of Inglis's calibre.

Inglis seems the most likely of Melbourne's so-called 'Fab Four' to appeal to Brisbane who will lose Israel Folau to the AFL at the end of the season.

Brisbane coach Ivan Henjak said while he'd keep on eye on events as they unfold with Melbourne, the club had already made its offer to Inglis.

“Whatever happens there is up to the people that run the NRL, as far as I'm concerned it won't affect anything that is happening at the Broncos,” said Henjak.

Asked if the latest developments changed things, Henjak said: “We've already made an offer (for Inglis) and it was refused.

“We won't be going any further with that.”

Henjak said rugby league had been “shocked” by the original extent of Melbourne's salary cap rorting so the latest figures didn't change too much.

“It was shock for everyone when the news broke and the penalties were severe,” he said.

“The ongoing damage to the Storm as a club is going to be severe.

“I think it sends a strong message that the salary cap is important and it needs to be adhered to.

“Everyone needs to be playing by the same rules on a level playing field.”

Henjak said the competition was unfair in a lot of ways with representative football and the fact some clubs didn't play each other twice during the season.

“There's a lot of things that are unfair about our competition, but that one (salary cap) is right up at the top of tree to make sure everyone is on even footing,” he said.

I still cannot believe he turned us down. His fiancee is now in Brisbane, he also has family there too. 400k a season isn't bad money at all, apparently he's earning 580k at Melbourne.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Max1990 wrote:

I still cannot believe he turned us down. His fiancee is now in Brisbane, he also has family there too. 400k a season isn't bad money at all, apparently he's earning 580k at Melbourne.

Obviously proves he doesn't play for money and just loved the club...just majorly contradicts the NRL fans who say our PLAYERS are money greedy. I admit what we did was very wrong, just hate hearing the players being brought into this when they clearly aren't doing it for the money
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah he turns down our offer and now he seems to be the player that's going to be axed. Obviously the love doesn't go both ways.
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:00 pm

Max1990 wrote:

If he went to Brisbane, the Storm would cop the difference (180K) in their cap for next year. So I assume the Storm would try to hold out on selling Inglis in order for another club to match the 580 or get as close to it as possible.

In my mind it would've been the Storm not allowing Inglis out of his contract for only 400k - if that makes sense
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Because they need all the money they can get I assume...
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 pm

*Your 2009 NRL premiers.....The Parramatta Eels*. Sorry, but that's what it should be.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Max1990 wrote:
*Your 2009 NRL premiers.....The Parramatta Eels*. Sorry, but that's what it should be.

LOL, no thats just clueless...bringing up old bullshit again. Storm "cheated" all the teams out of the premiership, not just Parra.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 pm

I was just waiting for your reply haha. Pretty much what i expected. I know it's old news.
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Yeah ...

Means shit all. No one wins legitimately because the other team was disqualified.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Max1990 wrote:
I was just waiting for your reply haha. Pretty much what i expected. I know it's old news.

Well 2 months ago my reply would have been "No were still premiers" but I've faced reality
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:05 pm

At least you stuck by them, unlike other people that decided to leave them behind as a distant memory.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Max1990 wrote:
At least you stuck by them, unlike other people that decided to leave them behind as a distant memory.

Yeahh well you need to support a team through it's bad times if ya want to be a fan. Not many fans here in Melbourne have actually left actually, were all just buzzing for next season.
Back to top Go down
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Quote :
The $100,000 a year deal with Fox Sports was ruled illegal under salary cap rules because the Storm had guaranteed the payments to Smith but did not declare that to the NRL.

He is unlikely to be able to remove that guarantee from his contract next season to help the Storm get under the salary cap but the club can legally include the figure in the $4.2 million ceiling for player payments.
Lol, there's another 100K to add to your cap in 2011.

Also, why didn't any Storm players co-operate with the Deloitte when the investigation was taking place? Hmm...

Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Panthers wrote:
Quote :
The $100,000 a year deal with Fox Sports was ruled illegal under salary cap rules because the Storm had guaranteed the payments to Smith but did not declare that to the NRL.

He is unlikely to be able to remove that guarantee from his contract next season to help the Storm get under the salary cap but the club can legally include the figure in the $4.2 million ceiling for player payments.
Lol, there's another 100K to add to your cap in 2011.

Also, why didn't any Storm players co-operate with the Deloitte when the investigation was taking place? Hmm...

Everyone around the club including news ltd seems pretty confident none were involved so it is confusing why they didn't. Perhaps they just wanted to concentrate on rugby league
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 3:58 pm

There isn't a problem in the Storm players not co-operating. Everyone has the legal right to remain silent. They would've been advised not to by managers and their legal reps (assuming they have some)

but the question that must be asked... why would you give Will Chambers 3rd party payments, surely thats a red flag
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 4:03 pm

I am still not convinced NONE of the players knew anything. Of course they'll deny it, and they've been cleared for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow   Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Melbourne storm Report - released tomorrow
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Forumotion's free forums | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com