Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

2010/11: College Football Thread

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

2010/11: College Football Thread Empty
PostSubject: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 am

2010/11 College Football

2010/11: College Football Thread Ncaa-football-logo

Well what an off-season it has already been in the world of College Football.

It all started off with Oregon QB and star player Jeremiah Masoli being suspended for the 2010 season for lying to coach Chip Kelly about a burglary crime. It then escalated as the Ducks sacked him after he was caught in possession of marijuana. He still does have the chance to play in 2011.

There has also been the sanctions against USC for giving gifts to Reggie Bush during his USC playing days, along with now NBA player O.J. Mayo during his USC baskerball career. The Trojans punishment was a two year post-season ban (not allowed in any Bowl games over the next two years), a loss of 30 scholarships over the next three years and a vacation of all Reggie Bush participated games including the 2005 National Champions the Trojans won (beating Texas). It's also possible that the Heisman Trophy that Reggie Bush won that year might be vacated as well.

Finally, and most definitely the biggest news of the off-season has been the Conference changes. The PAC-10 will be the PAC-12 as of 2011, with Colorado and Utah joining. The Big 12 will be the Big 10, the Big 10 the Big 12 with Nebraska joining and Boise State has moved from the WAC to the MWC, making for the loss of Utah. All the changes will take shape in 2011, meaning 2010 will be the last season as it currently is.

We definitely need more interest in College Football this season from the folks at TFW. ESPN usually show at least 1-2 games per week, and One HD likewise, with their focus on the SEC Conference which boats teams like Alabama (2010 BCS Champions), Florida and LSU. There's also the PAC-10 where my Oregon Ducks play, along with USC, CAL, Standford, UCLA and Oregon State amongst others. The Big 10 with Ohio State and Iowa and the Big 12 with Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska plus the MWC with TCU, BYU and Utah and finally the WAC with everyone's second favorite team, Boise State. There's plenty of good teams to choose from.

The 2010/11 College Football season kicks off on September 5th (Australia time).

Get pumped folks!! 2010/11: College Football Thread 575896
Back to top Go down
liam_bombers
Guru
liam_bombers

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Pumped to see how Boise State go. Undefeated again, hopefully Very Happy

Go Broncos!!!
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 1:19 pm

liam_bombers wrote:
Pumped to see how Boise State go. Undefeated again, hopefully Very Happy

Go Broncos!!!

Wouldn't back against them that's for sure. They've got two very tough non-Conference games against Virginia Tech at a neutral field and Oregon State at home on the blue turf. If they can win those games plus go undefeated in their WAC Conference games, they'll definitely go close to participating in the BCS National Championship Game. Obviously they also want Virginia Tech and Oregon State to win plenty of games as well, will make their wins against them (if they beat both), even better.
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Eurosport also shows a game or two each week, for the record.

I still haven't picked a team to support lol. Might remain neutral at this rate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/LordKvlt
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:26 am

Kvltism wrote:

I still haven't picked a team to support lol. Might remain neutral at this rate.

yeah im the same. havent been able to pick a team yet but im looking at getting more involved with the sport this season.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 11:59 am

You both should definitely pick a team. It's an awesome ride.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm

might go for the university of Pittsburgh then Razz
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

DB wrote:

Not a bad team. They're in the Big East with Cincinnati and West Virginia. They were a top 10 team for a little bit of last season, whether they can have a repeat of last season will be interesting. The Big East is probably the weakest of the big Conferences that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
DB wrote:

Not a bad team. They're in the Big East with Cincinnati and West Virginia. They were a top 10 team for a little bit of last season, whether they can have a repeat of last season will be interesting. The Big East is probably the weakest of the big Conferences that's for sure.

haha well hopefully now that im supporting them they will do extremely well Razz

they have had a few good players through their program so they cant be that bad.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

DB wrote:
haha well hopefully now that im supporting them they will do extremely well Razz

they have had a few good players through their program so they cant be that bad.

Nah they're a good team, well they were last season, but whether they can be a top 10 program again this season will be very tough.

The SEC has three teams that should feature, the PAC-10 at least one, the MWC could have two to three, the Big 10 one or two, Big 12 could have two to three and the WAC will have Boise State. There's also the ACC which has Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Clemson and Miami (FL).

So it's going to be tough.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Found out the other day that a guy from my Primary School has got a scholarship to play for the University of Arizona as a punter. I'm waiting for the official teams to be released soon to confirm, but it's pretty awesome news. I was really good mates with him til I was around 12, once I stopped playing cricket we grew apart. But very happy for the guy if he actually scores the gig.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 10:01 am

Things are getting interesting at Oregon. Everything seems settled except for the QB position. With Masoli first suspended then sacked from the University of Oregon, it's now a straight out fight between Senior Nate Costa (who has suffered three knee injuries) or Sophomore Darren Thomas, the Houston native who is very much alike to former-QB Jeremiah Masoli.

I'm leaning towards Darren Thomas to be honest. I favor him for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he's younger and with Masoli completely out of the equation, we've also got to look to the future and Thomas provides that being only a second year player. Secondly, Thomas is similar to Masoli was in style, and that means less adjustments on offense.

Either way that Chip Kelly decides to go, we're looking in very good shape for our third straight PAC-10 title in a row. We've got most starters from last season returning, while our main rival USC is out of the equation.
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Found out the other day that a guy from my Primary School has got a scholarship to play for the University of Arizona as a punter. I'm waiting for the official teams to be released soon to confirm, but it's pretty awesome news. I was really good mates with him til I was around 12, once I stopped playing cricket we grew apart. But very happy for the guy if he actually scores the gig.
Do keep us posted on that, would be cool to keep tabs on Aussies playing over there.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Kvltism wrote:
Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Do keep us posted on that, would be cool to keep tabs on Aussies playing over there.

i saw in the brisbane paper a couple of weeks ago was some guy that was getting chased by some colleges.

here is the link

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/more-sports/big-aussie-jesse-williams-set-for-gridiron-glory-in-us/story-e6frey6i-1225891216182

good luck to him i say!
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Whoa, he's certainly a big fella. Would be awesome to see an Aussie playing regularly from 1st-to-3rd down. Might have to scope out some footage and see how he plays. Seems like a good role model for indigenous kids too.

EDIT: He looks good. Saw a fair few college football fans (of schools like Alabama) saying they'd love to see him on their team. The shortlist of teams he'll consider playing for... LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Oregon State. Some heavy-hitting schools there.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Kvltism wrote:

Certainly will. Here's hoping it goes well for him.

Kvltism wrote:
Whoa, he's certainly a big fella. Would be awesome to see an Aussie playing regularly from 1st-to-3rd down. Might have to scope out some footage and see how he plays. Seems like a good role model for indigenous kids too.

EDIT: He looks good. Saw a fair few college football fans (of schools like Alabama) saying they'd love to see him on their team. The shortlist of teams he'll consider playing for... LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and Oregon State. Some heavy-hitting schools there.

What a beast of a boy. If I'm him, I go to Alabama. Could win the BCS Championship if he goes to them. If not, LSU or Oregon State.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Jesus H Christ Laughing. Hes built like a brick shithouse Shocked.

Id like to get involved with the College Ball this year, watched a few games last yr but I dunno who to go for lol.
Will choose before the season starts Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 5:08 am

a_F_c wrote:
Jesus H Christ Laughing. Hes built like a brick shithouse Shocked.

Id like to get involved with the College Ball this year, watched a few games last yr but I dunno who to go for lol.
Will choose before the season starts Very Happy.

Good man AFC. Any teams you're leaning towards at the moment?
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 3:30 pm

It's been a massive couple of days in College Football (as usual really). Some important things to talk about.

-> Ex-Oregon QB Jeremiah Masoli expected to head to Ole Miss. Masoli is expected to be admitted to one of three graduate programs at the University of Mississippi, which should make him eligible to play as early as this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5418941

It's massive news for Masoli after the off-season he's had, but I'm loving the faith that the University of Ole Miss is showing in Jeremiah. A poll on ESPN shows that currently, 56% of fans agree with the decision Ole Miss are making (75,000 fans have voted). Whether the duel-threat QB can achieve the same amount of success in the SEC (more defense orientated) than the PAC-10 remains to be seen, but it'll be fantastic to see him playing College Football again.

It'll also go a long way to restoring the public image he now has amongst fans and media alike.

-> It's also PAC-10 media week at the moment in LA, and for the first time in seven years, Oregon goes into the PAC-10 season as the favorite, just ahead of USC.

1. Oregon (15 1st place votes) 314
2. USC (12) 311
3. Oregon State (3) 262
4. Stanford (1) 233
5. Arizona (2) 222
6. Washington (1) 209
7. California 175
8. UCLA (1) 134
9. Arizona State 81
10. Washington State 39

Interestingly, the media has picked the correct champion 26 of 49 times. Arizona, Oregon and Stanford each had ninth-place votes as well as first-place votes (very strange).

36 days to go, bring it on!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Read a really interesting article on Yahoo! about the original decision to suspend Jeremiah Masoli for the 2010/11 season when he was still at Oregon, and also before the second charge of marijuana possession and driving without a valid license.

Quote :
Masoli's version of the night in January, according to SI, is this: a) He randomly ran into teammate Garrett Embry, whom he didn't know that well, outside a frat house as Masoli and his cousin were pulling into a bar across the street. (Phone records show he and Embry hadn't had any previous contact). Embry convinced Masoli to check out a party at the house while his cousin went on to the bar; b) He stood outside an open room in the house as Embry entered and then emerged with a projector; c) They started to leave the house, Masoli empty-handed and Embry trying to conceal the projector, and ran into a student coming up a stairwell as they were coming down; the student recognized the projector as his, and Embry took off. d) Outside, Masoli headed to the bar to join his cousin as the student from the stairwell chased Embry in another direction; e) After being definitively ID'd to police by the same guy who'd chased Embry, he lied to both police and coach Chip Kelly, telling both he hadn't been in the house at all.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Jeremiah-Masoli-would-really-like-you-to-know-he;_ylt=AmKfLWXKM4DJ3kJib7u.nIocvrYF?urn=ncaaf-259103

The most interesting thing was this. Because there was so much circumstantial evidence against Masoli, instead of fighting the charge and pleading not guilty, risking jail, he pleaded guilty to avoid it. That also meant the University of Oregon had to make a decision, and with Masoli having lied to Ducks football coach Chip Kelly about the matter, it was deemed he'd miss this season.

But the two things I bring up are this. Firstly, had Masoli fought the charge and got not guilty then what would the punishment have been from the Ducks? Secondly, then with the second charge, would he still have been sacked from the University of Oregon? Food for thought really.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 8:30 am

Pre-Season Coaches Poll: Top 25

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Florida
4. Texas
5. Boise State
6. Virginia Tech
7. TCU
8. Oklahoma
9. Nebraska
10. Iowa
11. Oregon
12. Wisconsin
13. Miami
14. Penn State
15. Pittsburgh
16. LSU
17. Georgia Tech
18. North Carolina
19. Arkansas
20. Florida State
21. Georgia
22. Oregon State
23. Auburn
24. Utah
25. West Virginia
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:35 pm

17 days. Grin
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Fresno State & Nevada to join MWC

Quote :
Fresno State and Nevada received and accepted invitations to join the league in a wild, wild Wednesday that left the Mountain West in a very comfortable position and the depleted Western Athletic Conference in serious need of members.

The Bulldogs and Wolf Pack are following Boise State out of the WAC and into the Mountain West, which lost Utah to the Pac-10 earlier in the summer—and it isn’t over yet.

BYU is mulling going independent in football and reportedly joining the WAC in all other sports. The Cougars have not confirmed anything and may need another look before making anything official. At this rate, there might not be much of a WAC left to join.

If BYU stays, the MWC could have 11 members within the next two years with room to even out the lineup with one more school. If BYU goes, the league still has 10 members.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-mountainwestexpansion
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:43 pm

The MWC only getting stronger. Fresno State and Nevada are solid programs, and should only get better by joining the MWC. If the MWC loses BYU it'll be a loss, but they've already made a bigger gain in getting Boise State. They have already lost Utah to the PAC-10 too.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Oregon coach Chip Kelly will make the decision on who the Oregon QB will be during the week leading up to the season opener with New Mexico. From most indications it'll be Nate Costa that gets the gig, but I'm really hoping Darren Thomas does. He's only a Sophomore, so has a good couple of years left in him and is similar to former-QB Jeremiah Masoli is terms of how he plays. Nate Costa is pretty much just a passer, which isn't a good thing for our star-RB LaMichael James.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2010/11: College Football Thread
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com