Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

2010/11: College Football Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Chip Kelly will make QB decision on Sunday

Quote :
“Saturday morning when we come out to practice (for) New Mexico, we’ll know who our starting quarterback’s going to be. It’s been the same plan all along, I’m not being evasive. This Saturday, right after Friday … Thursday, Friday, Saturday. … On Saturday morning, whoever takes the first snap (will be the starter). … I’ll tell you before if you want to call me.’’

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/12085/kelly-oregon-will-name-a-starting-qb-on-saturday

At long last. Again I will reiterate that I hope Sophomore Darren Thomas gets the gig, but I do think with his experience, Nate Costa will get the QB position.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:10 pm

whats the go with thomas?

does he just have a good running game along with his arm?

(thought i better post in here so your not by yourself Razz)
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:14 pm

DB wrote:
whats the go with thomas?

does he just have a good running game along with his arm?

(thought i better post in here so your not by yourself Razz)

Haha yeah, I'd appreciate some more College Football talk.

Thomas is very similar in style to former-QB and now Steelers QB Dennis Dixon. Costa has suffered three consecutive knee injuries as well, and only offers some decent throwing of the ball, whereas Thomas adds that little bit of uncertainty. Also, Costa is a Senior, so Thomas will get the position next season, so may as well give it to him now.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:19 pm

yeah well with college football you need that double threat. if you your QB can run it like dixon used to do then it just ads that extra element.

also with most of the college teams having spread offences etc (dont know what the ducks run) it seems that thomas would be better. and thomas is the younger player so why not get him in early and try and build something.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 1:26 pm

DB wrote:
yeah well with college football you need that double threat. if you your QB can run it like dixon used to do then it just ads that extra element.

also with most of the college teams having spread offences etc (dont know what the ducks run) it seems that thomas would be better. and thomas is the younger player so why not get him in early and try and build something.

Yeah we use the spread option. It's a massive call whatever decision coach Chip Kelly goes with. I just wish we still had Jeremiah Masoli, we'd be national title contenders with him. Facepalm
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Well the decision has finally been made, Oregon coach Chip Kelly has decided to go with Spohomore Darren Thomas as the starting-QB for the Ducks this season, beating out Senior Nate Costa. I've been pretty vocal about it for the past couple of weeks, it's definitely the right decision in my books. From what I've read, Thomas is in-between a Dennis Dixon and a Jeremiah Masoli, and that's definitely a very good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 3:47 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - PAC-10

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the PAC-10 and preview what shapes up to be a very interesting and close title race.

What a rocky off season it’s been in College Football, but mainly in the PAC-10 Conference. We’ve had Conference realignment with both Colorado and Utah committing to the PAC-10 in 2011. We’ve had the off-field troubles at the Oregon Ducks, and then of course the NCAA sanctions against PAC-10 powerhouse USC.

To keep reading - http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-pac-10

EDIT: This is part 1 of 7. Hopefully the next six come out over the next couple of days.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:26 pm

thats an epic read man haha
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:30 pm

DB wrote:
thats an epic read man haha

Haha cheers mate.

PAC-10 is my area of choice, it's where I know the most so had a big write up.

The next six are all a lot less haha.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - Big 10

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the Big 10 and preview what’s looking like being an extremely close race between four teams.

As said above, the Big 10 is shaping up to be a thrilling season. There’s 2010 Rose Bowl winners Ohio State, ranked No. 2 in the pre-season polls that are the favourites to win the Big 10 again this season.

Then you’ve got the Iowa Hawkeyes who fell agonisingly close in 2009 losing 27-24 to the Buckeyes in Columbus with their second string QB after Ricky Stanzi missed the game. The Hawkeyes also beat Georgia Tech in their Bowl Game, that was to claim the Orange Bowl.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-big-10
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - SEC

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC).

Today I look at the SEC and preview what’s looking like another battle between two fierce rivals.

Of the big five Conferences, it’s been the SEC that’s kept most quiet. There’s been no talk of expansion in what is the superior Conference according to most experts having produced the BCS National Champion the last four seasons (Florida twice, LSU and Alabama once). Again it seems as though the two powerhouses of 2008 and 2009 will feature again in 2010 in Alabama (2009/10 BCS National Champions) as well as Florida.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-sec
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:39 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - ACC

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the ACC and preview what should be a fascinating race with so many teams capable of winning the Conference.

The ACC really is the Conference which anybody could win. In the Atlantic Division you have Boston College, Clemson and Florida State. In the Coastal Division you’ve got the highly fancied Virginia Tech and Miami (FL) teams, plus Georgia Tech and the emerging North Carolina. It’s shaping up to be a really interesting season in the ACC.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-acc

Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - Big East

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the Big East and what’s shaping up to be a down year for the Conference.

Cincinnati come into the new Big East season having won it twice in a row and going 12-1 last season, losing to the Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl. But the loss of former coach Brian Kelly (now at Notre Dame) and QB Tony Pike to the NFL means this will be a tough season for the Bearcats. Winning the Big East in what appears to be a down year for the Conference is certainly possible, but they’ll need to get past Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh are shaping up to be the team to beat in the Big East this season. Coming off a 10 win 2009/10 season and beating North Carolina in the Car Care Bowl, big things are expected this season for the Panthers. Probably the favourites for the Big East.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-big-east
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:41 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - Big 12

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the Big 12 in what appears to be a very close race.

Texas return as the current Big 12 champions after surviving a very near scare against Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship game needing a last second field goal to give them a 12-10 win which sent them to the BCS National Championship Game. Unfortunately for the Texans, they lost star QB Colt McCoy in the 1st Quarter and despite a heroic performance from back-up QB Garrett Gilbert, the Longhorns fell just short losing 37-32 to the Crimson Tide.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-big-12
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 pm

College Football 2010: Conference Preview - At-Large Threats

Quote :
With this season’s College Football season just around the corner, I take a look at the big six Conferences (PAC-10, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Big East and the ACC). Today I look at the At-Large threats for the BCS. The two teams in question being WAC team Boise State, and MWC team TCU.

http://www.thebigtip.com.au/rest/college-football-2010-conference-preview-large-threats
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 12:48 am

Thats a good read sparky, nice work...still dont know which college team to back. Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 am

Just watched the USC-Hawaii game. Australian Right Guard Adrian Thomas for Hawaii looks very good. Against the pass rush he has been faultless, though he hasn't really been tested for the running game.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 am

Hank Moody wrote:
Thats a good read sparky, nice work...still dont know which college team to back. Suggestions?

Cheers mate.

I really don't know, any team name that takes your fancy?
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:15 am

The news of the day. One day after the NCAA ruled Jeremiah Masoli inelligable for the 2010/11 season due to the fact that he used a glitch in the NCAA rules to play for Ole Miss, he's won his appeal so is free to play this season. The glitch was that Masoli wasn't kicked out of the University of Oregon, just kicked off the football team. Then to go to Ole Miss, he doing a graduate course that the University of Oregon don't have, but the NCAA thought he was using this glitch for football reasons instead of academic reasons which is what the rule is for. That's too bad for the NCAA, it's a loophole which Masoli has used and I can't wait to see how he goes. He's my boy!! Grin
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:22 am

Manning18 wrote:
Just watched the USC-Hawaii game. Australian Right Guard Adrian Thomas for Hawaii looks very good. Against the pass rush he has been faultless, though he hasn't really been tested for the running game.

USC ended up winning 49-36 with QB Matt Barkley starring. But the talking point of the game was the Trojan defense, and the lack of it. They gave up close to 600 total yards of offense to Hawaii (585 to be exact). It's no wonder Lane Kiffin wasn't too happy after the win.

As for the other games, No. 2 ranked Ohio State beat Marshall 45-7, No. 13 Miami (FL) beat Florida A&M 45-0 and un-ranked Utah beat Big East favorite and No. 15 ranked Pittsburgh 27-24 in OT. To some it may be a surprise, but the Utes went into the game having won 17 straight home games, and two seasons ago were the only team in the country to remain undefeated, beating SEC power Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. The good be a dark horse at-large threat this season.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 am

College Football Schedule - Rest of the week

Sunday September 5

Midnight: College Game Day (Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso, Desmond Howard & Erin Andrews)
2.00am: Miami (OH) at #4 Florida (Dave Pasch, Chris Spielman, Bob Griese & Quint Kessenich)
5.30am: #5 Texas at Rice (Ron Franklin & Ed Cunningham)

Monday September 6

5.30am: SMU at Texas Tech (Mark Jones, Bob Davie & Holly Rowe)

Tuesday September 7

6.00am: Navy vs. Maryland from Baltimore (Mike Patrick, Craig James & Quint Kessenich)
10.00am: #3 Boise State vs. #10 Virginia Tech from FedEx Field (Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit & Heather Cox)
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am

#11 Oregon def. New Mexico 72-0

A great start to the season for the Ducks. Both QB's got plenty of minutes. Starting QB Darren Thomas went 13/23 and threw for 2 TD's while Nate Costa went 10/14. Also, RB Kenyon Barner ran for 5 TD's in the absence of star RB LaMichael James. Fantastic start to the new season, bring on Tennessee next week in what is a huge early season game.
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

I decided last week that I'd back the U-Cal Golden Bears. Shall be interesting to see how they go, and whether their recruiting notches up now that USC's a relatively undesirable destination.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/LordKvlt
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Kvltism wrote:
I decided last week that I'd back the U-Cal Golden Bears. Shall be interesting to see how they go, and whether their recruiting notches up now that USC's a relatively undesirable destination.

Good choice mate. I remember last season they were one of the favorites for the PAC-10 along with USC, but we thrashed them 42-3 at Autzen and after that they were very unpredictable. They have the potential to be an 8 or 9 win team though.
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:41 pm

I narrowed it down to 4 colleges that friends/relatives have attended. More people went to Cal than UCLA, so... choice made. Keenan Allen looks really impressive: 6'3 and 195lbs, quick, good hands and only a freshman.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/LordKvlt
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010/11: College Football Thread   2010/11: College Football Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2010/11: College Football Thread
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com