Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Empty
PostSubject: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:19 pm

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7944181

Thank goodness Melbourne Storm has finally sorted out its playing roster and will return to the 2011 NRL competition earning points fairly like every other team. With this week's announcement from Storm CEO Ron Gauci that a roster had been submitted to the NRL and stars Greg Inglis and Brett White would be the last premature departures from the club, the league world breathed a sigh of relief.

"We have undergone a thorough and transparent process that was always designed to ensure that we meet our salary cap obligations for 2011," Gauci said.

"This process has considered all matters, including our commercial position, the players' needs and preferences, as well as our on-field team balance.

"As a result of that thorough and transparent process we anticipate that we will receive NRL sign-off once the club’s final salary cap audit is completed."

The 2010 season has been turned into a farce by the disgraceful salary cap rorting of the Storm's previous administration. Too many questions have been created by the club's most severe penalty, the inability to earn competition points this year. The premiership will no doubt be won by St George Illawarra Dragons for the first time in the joint venture's history, but the victory will always be tainted by a Melbourne Storm asterix.

People will forever ask; would the Dragons have taken the title so convincingly if, like in 1999, they had to beat Melbourne to do so? Would Melbourne have even been finals contenders if they had stuck to the salary cap rules like everyone else? In season 2011 we will have some questions answered, but nothing will repair the damage done to 2010.

Since the salary cap scandal was revealed, Melbourne have been forced to shed a lengthy list of players including Greg Inglis, Brett White, Brett Finch, Ryan Tandy, Aidan Tolman, Ryan Hoffman and Jeff Lima. The salary cap has finally been allowed to do its job and the super team illegally assembled and developed by the Storm has been dismantled.

Appropriately the players have been distributed to the teams which need the talent most, teams like Brisbane Broncos, Canterbury Bulldogs, Canberra Raiders and Wigan Warriors. All 'super' clubs desperately in need of more top quality players as they search for premiership glory. It is clearly what the salary cap was designed to do.

Greg Inglis was obviously the jewel in the Storm's salary cap rorting crown. He leaves Melbourne for the warmer climate of Brisbane, where he will join his fiance and her budding career. The Broncos are currently struggling in seventh position, a full two points away from second on the NRL competition ladder. With the departure next year of AFL-bound Israel Folau, there would have been a gaping hole left in their backline.

The Broncos will be much more competitive next season with Inglis joining a line-up which includes internationals Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges, Sam Thaiday and Ben Hannant as well as Origin players Denan Kemp, Corey Parker and Peter Wallace.

There's an old saying in rugby league. When the Brisbane Broncos are going well, rugby league is going well. It's good to finally see Melbourne Storm with their house in order and even better to see the playing talent so evenly distributed, as was always intended under a salary cap system.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pathetic and one can only hope he is not being serious. Broncos need the talent most...? Is her serious? And struggling, a full two points away from 2nd spot...wtf?!

Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Written by a QLDer surely.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:26 pm

An article about the Storm and it reverts straight to the Broncos Laughing I love it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:43 pm

You guys are struggling...I mean, 2 points off 2nd spot...pwoah hard times
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:44 pm

It's 4 points now Wink
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 pm

Max1990 wrote:
It's 4 points now Wink

Well I was sarcastically agreeing with the journo Wink Razz
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 am

Another article by Steve Hitstirrer
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7940128
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:04 am

I thought that paragraph was very cynical of the Salary Cap...
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 am

I am a tad confused, is S. Hitstirrer meant to be translated into Shitstirrer? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 am

Probably...

I think S06 mis-interpreted the artical. That paragraph about how Brisbane need Inglis is written with a high level of sarcasm and it points out that they shouldn't be getting Inglis over a club like the Sharks if they (NRL) what a the salary cap to turely even out the comp
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 am

I still can't understand how Brisbane can be looked at as the bad guys in this whole saga. It has now come out that Brisbane signed him legitamately under the cap, and now everyone is saying how Brisbane must be cheating somewhere because they can't possibly be on the same cap restrictions as Cronulla.

How about saying how bad the Cronulla man management must be if they dont have 400,000 dollars left in their cap to make a play a GI, with the roster that they have. Who are they paying their cap to ??

People still laugh when I say Brisbane are the Organisational benchmark, but over what has come out in the past few days, how are they not ?? Last time I checked, the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Club is the only league team to actually make money, and have done so for the past 5 years. All others work at a loss, whether it be small or large
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:23 am

Bronco_josh wrote:
I still can't understand how Brisbane can be looked at as the bad guys in this whole saga. It has now come out that Brisbane signed him legitamately under the cap, and now everyone is saying how Brisbane must be cheating somewhere because they can't possibly be on the same cap restrictions as Cronulla.

How about saying how bad the Cronulla man management must be if they dont have 400,000 dollars left in their cap to make a play a GI, with the roster that they have. Who are they paying their cap to ??

People still laugh when I say Brisbane are the Organisational benchmark, but over what has come out in the past few days, how are they not ?? Last time I checked, the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Club is the only league team to actually make money, and have done so for the past 5 years. All others work at a loss, whether it be small or large

I guess S. Hitstirrer has done his job
Back to top Go down
dragons10
Veteran
dragons10

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 am

Brenton wrote:
Bronco_josh wrote:

Ahahahaha Laughing but i agree with bronco_josh lol at brento
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:46 am

Brenton wrote:
Bronco_josh wrote:

Nah, im not angry, just confused at how retarded some people can be when coming to conclusions in arguments
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 am

Bronco_josh wrote:

Well said. Yeah Brisbane probably are the most organisted club in the game. I don't think you guys are over the cap.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:28 am

Lol S.Hitstirrer Laughing.

I think its worked too Razz.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 am

Also, must have missed when Denan Kemp played Origin
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:13 am

It's pretty apparent that the writer is being highly sarcastic when she said Brisbane needed Inglis. She calls the clubs there all going to super clubs although I dont think the raiders really fit in there.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:33 am

Thats the thing I didnt get.

If she is being sarcastic, why mention the Raiders and Bulldogs ??

All fairness to Bulldogs supporters, but they have gone badly this year, so why would they be a powerhouse ?

If it is sarcasm, its a poor attempt at it, because good sarcasm= the reader actually gets your being sarcastic, and laughs at it, not scratches their head, wondering if your for real
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

Bronco_josh wrote:

I thought this comment by Gould in the Herald on Sunday was right on the money regarding your 'Organisational Benchmark':

Quote :

The Broncos enjoy a huge advantage over other NRL clubs on the score of attendances, corporate support, revenue, sponsorships and recruitment. Being the only team in Brisbane means they are regulars on free-to-air TV coverage which adds tremendous value to the sponsorship packages. The number of third-party deals they can offer their players is staggering when compared to what other NRL clubs can arrange.
These benefits, which come as a result of their monopoly status in such a large market, allows the Brisbane Broncos to recruit and retain extra numbers of representative class players, stockpile the best of junior talent and spend millions more on their coaching, staffing and football programs than any club in the league.

Like I said in the other thread, it'd be hard not to have the success you have had over the past two decades with the above advantages. I guess its not the Broncos fault, but you can't call them the organisational benchmark when they have these kind of priveleges all due to location. I am sure things would be a lot different if there was another Brisbane Club up there to share the privelegs you have.

I could be very wrong in saying this, because I wasn't exactly massively into league during the time, but wasn't part of the reason Brisbane went through with all the Super League dramas because the South Queenland Crushers were coming in and that would mean they might actually receive a 'fair shake of the sauce bottle', if you like to put it that way lol.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:41 am

Manning18 wrote:
Bronco_josh wrote:

I thought this comment by Gould in the Herald on Sunday was right on the money regarding your 'Organisational Benchmark':

Quote :

The Broncos enjoy a huge advantage over other NRL clubs on the score of attendances, corporate support, revenue, sponsorships and recruitment. Being the only team in Brisbane means they are regulars on free-to-air TV coverage which adds tremendous value to the sponsorship packages. The number of third-party deals they can offer their players is staggering when compared to what other NRL clubs can arrange.
These benefits, which come as a result of their monopoly status in such a large market, allows the Brisbane Broncos to recruit and retain extra numbers of representative class players, stockpile the best of junior talent and spend millions more on their coaching, staffing and football programs than any club in the league.

Like I said in the other thread, it'd be hard not to have the success you have had over the past two decades with the above advantages. I guess its not the Broncos fault, but you can't call them the organisational benchmark when they have these kind of priveleges all due to location. I am sure things would be a lot different if there was another Brisbane Club up there to share the privelegs you have.

I could be very wrong in saying this, because I wasn't exactly massively into league during the time, but wasn't part of the reason Brisbane went through with all the Super League dramas because the South Queenland Crushers were coming in and that would mean they might actually receive a 'fair shake of the sauce bottle', if you like to put it that way lol.

By your argument Newcastle, North Queensland, Warriors, Melbourne and Gold Coast all share the same location issue as Brisbane, why arent they up there ???
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:44 am

How far is the Gold Coast away from Brisbane by the way ?
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:45 am

Bronco_josh wrote:
Manning18 wrote:
Bronco_josh wrote:

Quote :

By your argument Newcastle, North Queensland, Warriors, Melbourne and Gold Coast all share the same location issue as Brisbane, why arent they up there ???

Brisbane has a much larger population than Townsville, Newcastle and the Gold Coast. You and I both would know that support for League in Brisbane is a lot more than what it is in New Zealand and Melbourne. Not to mention to corporate support in Brisbane would be much more than Newcastle and North Queensland.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

Bronco_josh wrote:
How far is the Gold Coast away from Brisbane by the way ?

To answer this question, not too far. The Gold Coast look to have made the finals twice in their three year existence and most likely top 4 in both of those times. They also have a clear advantage.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 am

I meant distance wise
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article   Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Salary cap finally hits storm...pathetic article
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com