Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Should there be another SE QLD based team?

Go down 

?
Yes
Should there be another SE QLD based team? Vote_lcap44%Should there be another SE QLD based team? Vote_rcap
 44% [ 4 ]
No
Should there be another SE QLD based team? Vote_lcap56%Should there be another SE QLD based team? Vote_rcap
 56% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage
DB
Guru
DB

Should there be another SE QLD based team? Empty
PostSubject: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 am

Gould wrote:
Why hasn't the NRL been pushing for another franchise in Brisbane?

Why has this News-owned club been allowed to hold a monopoly advantage in Brisbane for so long when it's so obvious our game needs another team in this city? Sydney's population is approximately double the size of Brisbane. But Sydney accommodates nine NRL teams; Brisbane only has one.

Rugby league on free-to-air television rates higher per capita in Brisbane than in any other city in the country. How much more valuable would our TV rights be if we had another team playing out of Suncorp Stadium so Brisbane hosted an NRL match every weekend?

The Broncos enjoy a huge advantage over other NRL clubs on the score of attendances, corporate support, revenue, sponsorships and recruitment. Being the only team in Brisbane means they are regulars on free-to-air TV coverage which adds tremendous value to the sponsorship packages. The number of third-party deals they can offer their players is staggering when compared to what other NRL clubs can arrange.

These benefits, which come as a result of their monopoly status in such a large market, allows the Brisbane Broncos to recruit and retain extra numbers of representative class players, stockpile the best of junior talent and spend millions more on their coaching, staffing and football programs than any club in the league.

Surely it is time for a second team in Brisbane. It would sure add value to our next broadcast rights deal. If the NRL won't put another team in Brisbane and is willing to allow the News-owned club to continue to flourish in its monopoly position, then why doesn't the NRL charge the Broncos an "exclusivity fee" of, say, $4 million per season which can be distributed among the battling clubs?

Perhaps Gallop could explain to us why he has not pursued such a project. Why has the News-owned Broncos been allowed such a free run with this monopoly situation?

You know, the truth is, even if Gallop was motivated to have a second team in Brisbane, the NRL doesn't have the expertise or the money to establish a new business in that or any other area.

Look at the way the AFL plans and attacks its expansion programs. It is professional, well organised and aggressive.

The NRL has no strategy. It sits back and waits for people to apply and hopes those pursuing a new franchise have the energy and money to do all the work.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-brisbane-deal-stinks-20100814-1240d.html

Brisbane obviously has the monopoly when comparing it to the sydney based teams so is it time for another club in SE QLD?

Discuss

Last edited by DB on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:47 am

not sure. but i know i wouldn't change teams
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:48 am

yeah why not. i can't decide on whether they should have a team up north or out west.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:52 am

No, for a very good reason though. We currently have 3 QLD teams, with QLD Cup being feeder teams for every single NSW club.

Why not expand to the Central Coast, or to Central Queensland ?? Why cramp Brisbane with another team ??

This wouldn't make the competition better, it would thin out the playing rosters even more than ever
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:56 am

No thanks
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

Rockhampton or Gosford should get a team before another Brisbane team is brought into the comp
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

sorry i meant to say no to brisbane team but one for ipswich/toowoomba area or up Rockhampton way...would be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

Have a look at the playing talent in every team now. Can we really afford to stretch that even further ???
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

so SE QLD team....

and i reckon the league could easily stretch for another club
Back to top Go down
liam_bombers
Guru
liam_bombers

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 12:05 pm

I heard that the Titans were getting handouts from the NRL. True?
If that is true, why they would think about adding another team in the area I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Read in rugby league week that Central Queensland Rugby League are looking for a team in 2013/2014, aiming for players like Matt Scott, Dave Taylor, Jharal Yow Yeh, Josh Hoffman and Gordon Tallis for coach as they hail from central qld. With Matt Scott as the ideal captain?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Id be all for it but I know I wouldnt be a fan of them. Id never change from the Broncos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:54 pm

looks like SUGE will have 3 teams now...

Not in SE QLD, but I am up for one in Central QLD. Not sure where though.
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

The Tank wrote:

Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_wink

I would rather see a team based in central QLD coast. A SE QLD team would disrupt Broncos in terms of competing for sponsorship deals. Broncos thrive in their location.
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Bronco_josh wrote:
No, for a very good reason though. We currently have 3 QLD teams, with QLD Cup being feeder teams for every single NSW club.

Why not expand to the Central Coast, or to Central Queensland ?? Why cramp Brisbane with another team ??

This wouldn't make the competition better, it would thin out the playing rosters even more than ever

I'm confident Central Coast Qld and Brisbane will be able to co-exist. Broncos has a lot of young talent in the toyota cup, the problem is we can't keep them all. "It would thin out the playing rosters even more than ever" I totally disagree
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 5:58 pm

The Tank wrote:

He'll be going for the Titans soon.. Treacherous snake he is.. Evil or Very Mad If Australia was ever invaded and everyone had to fight the war, he, and people like him would be the first I'd shoot.. They'd switch sides as soon as it got bad.. People like that can't be trusted... EVER..
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:27 pm

RED&GREEN4EVA wrote:
The Tank wrote:

He'll be going for the Titans soon.. Treacherous snake he is.. Evil or Very Mad If Australia was ever invaded and everyone had to fight the war, he, and people like him would be the first I'd shoot.. They'd switch sides as soon as it got bad.. People like that can't be trusted... EVER..

Mate, the only war I'll be in, if there was a war between NSW and QLD. I'll be QLD's General..I'd never switch. I'd be like Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai movie where it was just him surrounded by all the Samurai's fighting like a tiger and not giving up. Thats equivalent to me doing the same if I was surrounded by NSwelsh men in a pub brawl.
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 am

More like Tom Cruise on Oprahs lounge..
Back to top Go down
CANTERBURY BLUES
Professional
CANTERBURY BLUES

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Nah, The aim is to expand the game. Another SE QLD team isnt going to bring anymore fans.

Gosford, Yea.
Perth, Yea.
Central QLD, Yea.
Papua New Guinea... If it does happen, its still many many years away
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 pm

CANTERBURY BLUES wrote:
Nah, The aim is to expand the game. Another SE QLD team isnt going to bring anymore fans.

Gosford, Yea.
Perth, Yea.
Central QLD, Yea.
Papua New Guinea... If it does happen, its still many many years away

I agree, SE QLD team should wait their turn. Perth should be in front of that line. If there was a PNG team, they should be based in Townsville rather then Port Moresby (aka murder capital of the world). Plus there's a lot of New Guinean people living in NQ.
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Agreed witht he above posts. But even then if the NRL is looking to have 18 sides in the comp by 2013 then they'll have some tough decisions to make

Central Coast Bears would be leading from the front at the moment, theyve got the stadium, support and have juniors coming through

Another SE QLD based side would have a good fan base, anyone know how the Ipswich Jets bid is coming through?

Perth would be great for the NRL in terms of 'true expantion'

Not to mention Adelaide and Wellington who both have some sort of credible claims for an expansion spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should there be another SE QLD based team?   Should there be another SE QLD based team? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should there be another SE QLD based team?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com