Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

TFW's Hall of Fame

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Ok getting back on track....

Any more users want to put their nominations in?
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Rugby - Jonah Lomu
League - Darren Lockyer
Basketball - Michael Jordan
Cricket - Sir Donald Bradman
US Sports - Babe Ruth
Other - Muhammad Ali

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 2:30 pm

AFL - Tony Lockett
Cricket - Don Bradman
Football - Diego Maradona
League - Clive Churchill
Motorsport - Michael Schumacher
Rugby - Jonah Lomu
Tennis - Roger Federer
US Sports - Jerry Rice
Other - Muhammad Ali
Back to top Go down
mozza
Guru
mozza

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:00 pm

AFL - Bob Skilton
Cricket - Sachin Tendulker
Football - Pele
Rugby - Jonah Lomu
Tennis - Rod Laver
US Sports - Wayne Gretsky
Other - Jack Nicklaus
Back to top Go down
smashedmirror704
Guru
smashedmirror704

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Robin Nahas?
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 4:59 pm

mozza wrote:
AFL - Bob Skilton
Cricket - Sachin Tendulker
Football - Pele
Rugby - Jonah Lomu
Tennis - Rod Laver
US Sports - Wayne Gretsky
Other - Jack Nicklaus

TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 843646
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Rugby League - Matt Gillett
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 10:59 am

Michael Johnson
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:05 am

CHORUS wrote:
Michael Johnson
Great mention CHORUS, cant go pass him.
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:07 am

I get the feeling Marion Jones won't be getting inducted into this Hall anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:11 am

When does someone actually tally the nominations and induct the inaugural class
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I'll do it soon. Just waiting on anybody that hasn't voted yet
Back to top Go down
perthboy001
Professional
perthboy001

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:27 pm

mine are

AFL: Ron Barrassi
Basketbal: Michael Jordan
Cricket: Don Bradman
Football: Pele
Motorsport: Michael Schumacher
Rugby: Jonah Lomu
Tennis: Roger federer
US Sports:Wayne Gretsky
Other: Muhammad Ali
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 1:55 pm

brett favre haha
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Basketbal: Michael Jordan
Cricket: The Hon Sir Garfield Sobers
Football: Pele
Rugby: David Campese, sorry Jonah Lomu
Tennis: Roger federer
Other: Michael Jordan
Other: Muhammad Ali
League: Matt Gillett
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Svoerman wrote:
You can never compare different era's in sport.

Also to say he would've "definitely" averaged 150 is the most farcical statement on this forum.

Averages were never, are never, and will never be hallmark of a good batsman because it is subject to so much variables even in the same era, forget about different eras.
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Don was a good player but played most his cricket in selected places. He was also facing medium pacers who were more concerned with outlook. No protection needed because cricket was just a fun thing back then. Maybe he took the game seriously, unlike most back then. So in general he was the best batsmen in the ‘old game’. But in the current game there is more pace, aggresion and devasation. If bradman were to face some of the quicks today and with all the tech we have his average would drop to 30-40. Have a look at some of his videos and see how the bowlers canter up to bowl its a joke, its like watching girls bowling.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Guru
Tank

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:23 pm

You keep going back to the same argument, even though others have already mentioned it's pointless. Sport in general has changed so much since the days of Bradman, so of course athletes who played 80 years ago wouldn't be as dominant in their respected sport if they were to play today. When judging player achievements, the only era that should be mentioned is the era they played in.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:48 pm

SUGEKNIGHT wrote:
Don was a good player but played most his cricket in selected places. He was also facing medium pacers who were more concerned with outlook. No protection needed because cricket was just a fun thing back then. Maybe he took the game seriously, unlike most back then. So in general he was the best batsmen in the ‘old game’. But in the current game there is more pace, aggresion and devasation. If bradman were to face some of the quicks today and with all the tech we have his average would drop to 30-40. Have a look at some of his videos and see how the bowlers canter up to bowl its a joke, its like watching girls bowling.

You're kidding right? Please tell me I missed the point where the obvious sarcasm kicked in. Please tell me you're not actually trying to make the argument that the best batsman of all time would average somewhere between 30-40 today? Because if you are than that is close to the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen someone say on a forum, besides some of the crap the idiots in the cricket forum on sportal say on a regular basis.

I just want to say a few things about your statement.

1. I'm sorry where in the world do you think he would play that he wouldn't dominate, certainly not the dust bowl of a sub continent where 1st innings scores of less than 500 are considered sub par, or perhaps you mean in the West Indies playing on seaming pitches with plenty of bounce, because we all know the don struggled in those conditions.....

2. WHAT? Are you fucking serious? Do you know how good the bowlers where back then, Like say Bedser, Larwood etc. To describe players of that quality as medium pacers more concerned with outlook is like calling Warne and Murali part time spinners.....

3. Just a fun thing, wow, that's perhaps the biggest understatement I've ever heard. You're confusing the notion of amateur sport with the quality of the sport. The fact that they were not full time had more to do with the fact the sportsmen were just not paid on a full time basis back then, there was not the demand for them to play all year round, I can assure you though that it was more than just a bit of fun, have you ever perhaps heard of the bodyline series?

4. Again to use the situation where you take him straight from his time and put him into today's game is just stupid. How do you think a player from today would go using a bat in bradman's day, or not being able to wear protective gear, or having to play on uncovered pitches, or not getting paid on a full time basis and acutally having to work for a living to support their family, or having to play a timeless test.....

Bottom line is clear, you need to go learn a little bit more about cricket before you start making statements like you did above.

Last edited by Scotty on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Tank wrote:
You keep going back to the same argument, even though others have already mentioned it's pointless. Sport in general has changed so much since the days of Bradman, so of course athletes who played 80 years ago wouldn't be as dominant in their respected sport if they were to play today. When judging player achievements, the only era that should be mentioned is the era they played in.

I like the way the Don himself answered the question when asked whether he would be as dominant today as he was when he played.

He said "no, but I'd still be the best"

To say Bradman wouldn't be as good today as he was then, based perhaps on the premise of lifting the Don straight from the 30's and 40's and asking him to play today, is unquantifiably moronic. If you're going to speculate on what he'd be like today, it would have to be under the parameters that he grew up in today's age, using the same equipment and technology and levels of professionalism etc. Otherwise you might as well compare how a current day cricket player would go at baseball, the differences are nearly that extreme.
Back to top Go down
Tank
Guru
Tank

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 6:36 pm

Scotty wrote:
Tank wrote:

I like the way the Don himself answered the question when asked whether he would be as dominant today as he was when he played.

To say Bradman wouldn't be as good today as he was then, based perhaps on the premise of lifting the Don straight from the 30's and 40's and asking him to play today, is unquantifiably moronic. If you're going to speculate on what he'd be like today, it would have to be under the parameters that he grew up in today's age, using the same equipment and technology and levels of professionalism etc. Otherwise you might as well compare how a current day cricket player would go at baseball, the differences are nearly that extreme.
Exactly! I tried to write something similar beforehand but wasn't able to word it properly haha.
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Also, Sir Bradman played on ten different grounds in two countries only in which six bowlers took 100 or more wickets in their career with half career time less matches with absence of Perth pitch on mat over concrete pitches in which his batting average is 89.78 against England and Headley (his contemporaries) average is 71.33 against them with one match timeless against them.
Other great batters played on 45-50 different pitches with 50-55 bowlers took 100 or more in their career with 25-30 200 or more wickets in nine different countries.

people, this is sports…a competition…you got to choose one…there’s got to be “THE GREATEST”
stop using this "oh but they played in different era's" crap and start comparing. There can only be one.

Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 12:09 am

Scotty wrote:
Tank wrote:

I once saw Tendulkar being interviewed about the time he spent with Bradman at his home. Sachin asken him what he would average if he had to face the fearsome Windies attack and Don replied "about 50". Sachin asked "Why only 50 Sir Donald?", and Don said "We'll, I am in my 80's you know!"

For the man himself to say that, he would either be up-himself, or positive he actually would do well against them. And I don't think Bradman was up himself....
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 5:39 am

SUGEKNIGHT wrote:
Also, Sir Bradman played on ten different grounds in two countries only in which six bowlers took 100 or more wickets in their career with half career time less matches with absence of Perth pitch on mat over concrete pitches in which his batting average is 89.78 against England and Headley (his contemporaries) average is 71.33 against them with one match timeless against them.
Other great batters played on 45-50 different pitches with 50-55 bowlers took 100 or more in their career with 25-30 200 or more wickets in nine different countries.

people, this is sports…a competition…you got to choose one…there’s got to be “THE GREATEST”
stop using this "oh but they played in different era's" crap and start comparing. There can only be one.

Yes, and it has to be the Don, you ask any single person that knows anything about cricket, anything at all, and they will all tell you the exact same thing, Sir Donald Bradman is and is likely to be forever, the greatest batsman of all time. Frankly for you to suggest otherwise shows your complete lack of understanding for the history of the game and the game of cricket overall.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 5:40 am

The Tank wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Tank wrote:

I once saw Tendulkar being interviewed about the time he spent with Bradman at his home. Sachin asken him what he would average if he had to face the fearsome Windies attack and Don replied "about 50". Sachin asked "Why only 50 Sir Donald?", and Don said "We'll, I am in my 80's you know!"

For the man himself to say that, he would either be up-himself, or positive he actually would do well against them. And I don't think Bradman was up himself....

I think there was a little bit of tongue in cheek there rather than arrogance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TFW's Hall of Fame   TFW's Hall of Fame - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TFW's Hall of Fame
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Other Discussions :: Off Topic-
Jump to:  
Make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com