Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Empty
PostSubject: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 11:56 am

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/foxsportscomau-users-vote-darren-lockyer-the-greatest-kangaroos-player-in-australian-rugby-league-history/story-fn2mcuhw-1225944011950

In a foxsports.com.au poll, rugby league fans declared 52-Test veteran Darren Lockyer as Australia's finest international rugby league star - beating out the likes of Wally Lewis, Andrew Johns and Mal Meninga in capturing 35 per cent of the vote.

Lockyer won the vote 10 months after foxsports.com.au crowned him NRL Player of the Decade.

For Sailor, a teammate of Lockyer's at club, state and international level, the memory of that first Test against New Zealand speaks volumes about the Australia captain's character.

Greatest Kangaroos Player
Who is the greatest Kangaroos player in history?
Ken Irvine

1.82%
Andrew Johns

15.74%
Darren Lockyer

35.38%
Graeme Langlands

3.22%
Bob Fulton

2.75%
Reg Gasnier

4.47%
Brad Fittler

7.06%
Wally Lewis

19.17%
Mal Meninga

10.39%

"Robbie O'Davis was the fullback and he got injured over at North Harbour Stadium" Sailor recalls.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Locky came on and he had the worst debut I've seen of any player at any level.

"For most players, that would break them. But three days later, he played for the Broncos and got man of the match.

"That just shows what a class act he is."

Australia lost that Test against the Kiwis 22-16, and both players have joked over the years about Lockyer's performance.

"Those sort of things make players, and it just showed me he was a true champion," Sailor says.

At 33, Lockyer has fought off an ageing body and numerous calls for his retirement to reinforce his status on the game's biggest stage - and to boost the calls of Tommy Raudonikis and Steve Mortimer for him to be named an Immortal.

His recognition as the greatest Kangaroos player comes on the back of a quintessential display against Papua New Guinea that saw Lockyer cross the line for his 34th Test try, eclipsing the long-standing record held by Ken Irvine.

"Whether it's Arthur Beetson or Ben Elias, for the last couple of years people were saying Lockyer should retire" Sailor says.

"The best way to shut your critics up is to keep producing and keep performing at that level, and I think he's done that."

Few people are better qualified than Sailor to judge Lockyer's career, the two sharing a close bond on and off the field from the time the latter joined Brisbane Broncos in 1995.

"We played Parramatta, he came on for the last 25 minutes and set up about three tries" Sailor says of Lockyer's first-grade debut.

"I said 'Darren Lockyer, eh? We won't forget that name because we'll be hearing lots of it'.

"I didn't think he was ever going to be one of the greatest players the game has seen, but he is and he deserves it."

Lockyer's reign at the top of his era hasn't been without hindrance, his playing style often putting him in the line of fire - something Sailor believes fans and spectators may not fully appreciate.

"I remember one off-season we went for a family trip, he was on crutches and just to see the pain he went through ... he didn't know if he was going to come back and become the sort of player he is now.

"But even though he's lost a yard of speed, there's no substitute for brain and toughness ... that's obviously why people have rated him as the best."

Despite having 16 seasons behind him, Lockyer still has the opportunity to write another chapter or two in the story of his international career.

A potential Four Nations title and the prospect of doing it all again in 2011 means Lockyer's reputation as the best ever is sure to gain further momentum.

A long way removed from that disastrous Friday night in Auckland, Lockyer has gone on to become the face of a proud rugby league nation. And he is on the fast track to becoming a rugby league Immortal.

That is something not lost on Sailor.

"I'm going to look back, glad I got the chance to play with Darren Lockyer," Sailor says.

"Because he's one of the best that the game has ever seen."

Further proves the man's the next immortal. He's done it all, what a legend.
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

The voters must all be smoking P
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:09 pm

haha agreed
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Don't hate.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 12:25 pm

i think he will be with the immortals one day but it will still be at least 10 years after he has finally retired.

Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 pm

That has Langlands listed as getting 35% of the vote.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:26 pm

^^ Nah his is 3.22
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm

wow what a laughable poll
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Give me Meninga or even Wally Lewis over Lockyer.
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 pm

Brenton wrote:

were you even watching football when they played
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

jtm91 wrote:
Brenton wrote:

No. Doesn't matter though. Got plenty of old DVD's at home about Queensland and NSW's Origin history since 1980 and their stats etc and the way they are talked about by the players against them speaks for themselves
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:51 pm

The 80's is a bit different from the late 90's to the present. He's arguably the best player from the last 15 seasons.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Joey was better then Lockyer.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 2:56 pm

it will be sometime before joey is considered due to his drugs and racist remarks

i still say he is the best player ive ever watched play the game but lockyer would be a close 2nd and he has a clean record.
Back to top Go down
jackcf_93
Veteran
jackcf_93

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:06 pm

DB wrote:
it will be sometime before joey is considered due to his drugs and racist remarks

i still say he is the best player ive ever watched play the game but lockyer would be a close 2nd and he has a clean record.

Would you call Jt's record clean?
If not you may want to rethink that bit...
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:16 pm

jackcf_93 wrote:
DB wrote:

who the hell do you think we are talking about? and what the hell does JT have to do with lockyer. Lockyer has never put a foot wrong except his raper joke which i reckon was hilarious anyway
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:19 pm

jackcf_93 wrote:
DB wrote:

What's that got to do with anything?
Back to top Go down
jackcf_93
Veteran
jackcf_93

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 pm

DB wrote:
jackcf_93 wrote:
DB wrote:

who the hell do you think we are talking about? and what the hell does JT have to do with lockyer. Lockyer has never put a foot wrong except his raper joke which i reckon was hilarious anyway

Some of people have a bit of a selective memory.
Explain to be how what Thurston did a few months ago is worse than Lockyer's incident

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/lockyer-admits-to-tackle/story-e6freon6-1111117534535
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:27 pm

How did JT get into the conversation scratch
Back to top Go down
jackcf_93
Veteran
jackcf_93

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Danger32 wrote:

He said Lockyer had a clean record. I brought up JT to try to make a point.
Back to top Go down
Damo
Guru
Damo

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm

^I am lost.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Brenton wrote:
jtm91 wrote:
Brenton wrote:

No. Doesn't matter though. Got plenty of old DVD's at home about Queensland and NSW's Origin history since 1980 and their stats etc and the way they are talked about by the players against them speaks for themselves

What does how good they were at origin effect there standings playing for the Kangaroos?

Darren Lockyer has played 51 real quality games for the kangaroos 1 of those being the greatest individual performance of a single player in a test match history and no other player in test history has switched from one major position to another like Lockyer has and dominated like he did from both positions.

and then when you add the most games played as captain and the most trys then he has it all over everyone else. And whoever suggested Johns was better then Lockyer at test level needs to start watching old test matches. Johns never played as good in test footy as he did in Origin or club footy.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:58 pm

jackcf_93 wrote:
Danger32 wrote:

He said Lockyer had a clean record. I brought up JT to try to make a point.

JT is also said to be one of the bulldogs gang bangers and Lockyer doesn't have anything like that floating about his mind.
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 4:53 pm

DB wrote:
Lockyer has never put a foot wrong except his raper joke which i reckon was hilarious anyway

You think an Australian captain, on stage, making jokes about rape is funny? .. I'd say thats as bad, though I think even worse then any racial remarks Johns said.. And it will never be forgiven in my eyes..
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 am

Nearly every player has made mistakes in their career... whether it be a rape joke or tackling someone at a pub or making racists remarks and taking drugs. But at the end of the day, the skills and talent these players like Joey and Locky poses cannot be forgotten. Both are legends on the field in my eyes.. and too me Lockyer is still a legend of the field (the things Joey has done of the field are more damaging then what Locky has done imo).

I can only really comment on Joey and Locky because i've grown up watching them.. can't really comment on guys like Mal, Lewis etc because i wasn't around during their time but from the past footage i've seen and from what i've heard they too are Kangaroo legends, probably more so then Lockyer.

However, i think it's Locky's longevity and consistency during all his years in the green and gold that has him recognised as one of the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL   Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lockyer - Voted the best Kangaroo to ever play RL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com