Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Is Brent Tate's career over?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SBW
Guru
SBW

Is Brent Tate's career over?  Empty
PostSubject: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 pm

He's done his knee in the first half of the Four Nations final.

Joey is reporting that they suspect he is going to require yet another knee reconstruction.

Can he come back from this? Surely this could be the end. A real shame if that is the case.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:19 pm

his a fighter and he will return.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Hope not.
Feel horrible for him though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
DaneSwan#36
Legend
DaneSwan#36

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 12:42 pm

It could be, but it depends on how bad it really is. It could be not as bad as originally thought, as everyone though I hope that it isn't the end for him I have always liked him and been disappointed when he has done so many injuries before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-109-0-0-0
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:01 pm

This sucks so bad. After hearing that I couldnt care less about the rest of the match
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:05 pm

I was speechless seeing him cry like that.. really feel for him. I'm not a doctor so don't really know if this is a career ending injury, hope not anyway.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 1:59 pm

i dont know if he can come back. would be a big ask of him.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't think he has it in him to come back from another serious injury.

If he actually requires a knee reconstruction, I think he will be forced into premature retirement.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Brent Tate might be back for Round 1.

If he takes the LARS surgery next week for example, if it has the same effect as it had on Luke Covell, he will be back playing first grade in about 100 days (and the NRL season starts in 117 days)

So if he opts to LARS and it turns out he could be playing for the Cows in round 1.
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 2:25 pm

I really doubt someone who has already had two knee reconstructions is going to have success with this type of surgery.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 am

You just never know i guess. Got to feel for him i wouldn't have anything against him if he can make it back but opts to pull the pin himself. Seeing him break down he could very well just say that's it despite the severity of the injury. He has the rest of his life to look forward to another injury and he could very well be in a wheel chair or something.. Whatever he chooses to do good luck to him, hope he gets better soon.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Quote :
BRENT Tate's best mate, Broncos vice-captain Corey Parker, last night praised the injury-cursed flyer's fighting qualities as the cruel reality of a third major knee surgery materialised.

Australia Test star Tate's worst fear - a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) that will require his third knee reconstruction - was confirmed yesterday by team medical officials after he visited orthopaedic surgeon Dr Peter Myers.

Having bravely battled his way back into the Kangaroos fold from knee reconstructions twice before, in addition to surviving a major neck injury six years ago, there are no guarantees the battered 23-Test veteran will ever play again.

New Zealand won the Four Nations title with a 79th-minute try to clinch a 16-12 defeat of Australia in Brisbane, site of the 2008 World Cup final boilover, which led euphoric Kiwis fullback Lance Hohaia to brand it as "Groundhog Day''.

The same applies to Tate, who delivered an emotional outburst at halftime of the final which helped explain the extent of the 28-year-old's agony.

"Being best mates with Brent, my heart goes out to him,'' Parker told The Courier-Mail.

"You never want to see your mate hurting or in pain, so to see him going through that again, it really hurts.''

Parker said it has already been a monumental feat for the star Cowboys recruit to twice rebound from major knee surgery to return to Test level football.

"He's a fighter he's been knocked down that many times and come back every time,'' Parker said.

"It's a terrific effort to achieve what he has.

"I will fully understand and support any decision he makes. The one positive Brent has is a great family and friend base around him.''

It is believed a shattered Tate is exploring surgery options, including the cutting-edge LARS (Ligament Augmentation and Reconstruction System) operation, as he weighs up his future with retirement a very real possibility.

In a candid interview before his latest setback, Tate spoke of the toll long-term layoffs in 2007 and 2009 had taken.

He said only the support of wife Lani, and the presence of two-year-old son Kyden, had helped his rebound from those "dark days''.

"There's been stages I've thought `Poor me, what have I done to deserve this?' But when you get past your injuries, you tend to forget about them,'' Tate said. ``I've had some rotten injuries, but I'm also really proud of how I've fought back.

"You've got to love it, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

''There have been times I've thought I don't know how much more my body can take at some stage you've got to be fair to yourself.''

Lani also disclosed just how draining the road back from her husband's second knee reconstruction in 2009 was.

Her insights highlight just how daunting a potential third comeback could prove for the champion flyer.

"It was the hardest thing the second time around, especially mentally, it was just torture,'' Lani said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/tates-worst-fear-a-ruptured-anterior-cruciate-ligament-that-requires-reconstructiion-confirmed/story-e6frep5x-1225953475901

Well well well, we may just see him in Round 1 next year, as unlikely as it sounds.
Back to top Go down
lions10
Professional
lions10

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:35 pm

would love to see him come back. he was one of my favourite broncos
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:39 pm

Daily Telegraph says he can't have that surgery cos he had knee recons before.. How long did the cows sign him for? I doubt we'll see him next year but hope he can bounce back in 2012
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm

I can't find it on the DT website saying that?
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Sorry, SMH.. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/third-time-unlucky-another-year-off-the-park-for-tate-20101114-17stx.html

It is believed that undergoing the revolutionary ligament augmentation and reconstructive system surgery that enabled Cronulla winger Luke Covell to return after just 12 weeks last season was an option Tate was keen to explore, but that is not available to anyone who has previously had a reconstruction.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 4:03 pm

RED&GREEN4EVA wrote:
Sorry, SMH.. http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/third-time-unlucky-another-year-off-the-park-for-tate-20101114-17stx.html

It is believed that undergoing the revolutionary revolutionary ligament augmentation and reconstructive system surgery that enabled Cronulla winger Luke Covell to return after just 12 weeks last season was an option Tate was keen to explore, but that is not available to anyone who has previously had a reconstruction.

Based on the LARS website, it suggests otherwise.

Quote :
Her first injury occurred at the age of 18 (1988) when she tore her ACL during a match. She was operated on immediately and returned after one year to play at the same level.

In 2002, she again tore her ACL in a basketball match and was operated on by Dr Papagianopoulos from Greece. He reinforced her torn ACL with an artificial ligament (LARS). This method gave her the confidence that her knee would be stronger than before, and allow her to compete again a lot sooner than if she had undergone conventional surgery.

http://www.lars-ligaments.com/cases/ --> Click on Orthoula Papadakos

So it appears she done her ACL beforehand, got it operated on the usual way, did her ACL again 4 years later but LARS treatment was available. This is the same situation as Tatey's except you throw one extra knee recon in there. Shouldn't make too much of a difference.
Back to top Go down
arsendragon
Professional
arsendragon

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Hope he makes it back. He's only 28, but gee those knees just aren't what they used to be anymore.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 pm

arsendragon wrote:
Hope he makes it back. He's only 28, but gee those knees just aren't what they used to be anymore.
Arsen when did you start coming on here? So you gave up on sportal and are going to be spending time on here instead then, that about right?
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 am

RED&GREEN4EVA wrote:
Daily Telegraph says he can't have that surgery cos he had knee recons before.. How long did the cows sign him for? I doubt we'll see him next year but hope he can bounce back in 2012
3 Years.
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 am

Is injury insurance common in the NRL i.e. will the Cows have to continue paying his salary or will that be covered?

Also, does Tates salary continue to take up a portion of their salary cap?
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:32 am

He might be back for around Round 23-24 or so which would be a big boost to us if we are in contention for the finals but we won't be.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 am

SBW wrote:
Is injury insurance common in the NRL i.e. will the Cows have to continue paying his salary or will that be covered?

Also, does Tates salary continue to take up a portion of their salary cap?

Nope we have no injured reserve so unless we want to pay out his contract and release him we have to count his salary in our cap.
Back to top Go down
_fb_
Guru
_fb_

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 am

Poor bloke, can't imagine the emotional distress he'd be going through.

all the best to him with recovery and hopefully he can come back and pursue a few more years in the NRL and retire on his own terms rather than have it forced on him

and a bit off-topic but hasn't steve michaels had two or three knee reconstructions?
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 11:10 am

Scotty wrote:
arsendragon wrote:
Arsen when did you start coming on here? So you gave up on sportal and are going to be spending time on here instead then, that about right?

Laughing

Good 'ol Arsebandit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Brent Tate's career over?    Is Brent Tate's career over?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Brent Tate's career over?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com