Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

ABs Midfield

Go down 

Who would you pick as your ABs Midfield
Nonu and SBW
ABs Midfield Vote_lcap13%ABs Midfield Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
SBW and Smith
ABs Midfield Vote_lcap38%ABs Midfield Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
Nonu and Smith
ABs Midfield Vote_lcap49%ABs Midfield Vote_rcap
 49% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:26 am

ABs Midfield Pg-62-all-black-gett_90791t
ABs Midfield Sonny_bill_williams-420x0
ABs Midfield _41285109_conrad200245

With 3 games against the Northern Hemisphere teams gone and 1 more to go, the time has really come for Henry to show his hand as to what he sees as the top ABs midfield with the World Cup just around the corner. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then - with a full Super 15 and mini-Tri-Nations competitions till to come - but the selected 12 and 13 for the test against Wales will go a long way to revealing who Henry and co see as the ideal midfield partnership for the World Cup.

The incumbents leading into the tour was Nonu at 12 and Smith at 13 and they played together like that against Australia where, along with most of the team (to be fair) they struggled somewhat.

Against England it was tested having Nonu at 12 and SBW at 13 which was a formidable team against a staunch English backline, but was certainly lacking.

Against Scotland was easily the most dominant midfield display with SBW at 12 and Smith at 13 - SBW got MoM honours for his performance and it was well deserved, prompting many to declare him now the top 12 - but it must be noted how tremendously poor the Scottish team were in that game (making their win over SA all the more shocking) and that must be taken into account when evaluating SBW's potential.

Finally the Hurricanes combination of Nonu and Smith was reunited against Ireland who, with the pairing of Gordon D'Arcy and Brian O'Driscoll, had a formidable midfield themselves and they defended their hearts out.

Now with the final test against Wales coming up - will be selected?

a) Nonu/SBW
b) SBW/Smith
c) Nonu/Smith

I think we can agree that Smith is all but 100% safe in the 13 jersey meaning a) is out, leaving the decision of whether to start SBW or Ma'a Nonu.

Nonu has in his favour a lot of experience, both in the game itself and in his partnership with Smith; his distribution is top notch (marked by some impressive, long-range, pinpoint passes that he has made in recent times) and of course he is a human wrecking-ball who can smash through opposition at will or, if not, he at least draws in 2-3 defenders whenever he touches the ball. On the down-side he has been prone to losing the ball in the tackle and having the odd brain-explosion in giving away penalties.

SBW's trump card is his ability to offload as was demonstrated against the Scottish - though it remains to be seen how easily he could pull that off against stronger teams (especially Australia) who wouldn't be giving nearly as much space around to allow him to do that to any real effect - as he found against Ireland on the weekend. He is lacking in experience though and it remains to be seen what his big game temperament is like.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am

Personally I'd prefer the Nonu/Smith combination still, with SBW coming off the bench.
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 12:31 am

First off good read there P'rus.

I think Henry will play it right and just take his time with SBW and eventually use him as our starter at the WC. He will use Nonu/Smith till the WC but will probably make the move in our last pool game possibly?

As for this weeks game, i think SBW/Smith will be the starters. Like you said, we need to see SBW up against Australia or SA before we can really decide but till then Nonu/Smith get the nod for me.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:08 am

I want a Nonu/Smith combination with SBW off the bench also, till after the WC anyway.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 am

I'd prefer the Nonu/Smith combination, with SBW coming off the bench.

Also i hear he could be playing 6 for the crusaders in the super 15 next year which would be interesting, apparently he played there a few times in france.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 am

Smith/SBW for mine.

Big Nonu fan but he has been well below par this tour. Defensively he was poor against Ireland and thats a huge worry. When a good defender starts missing tackles it usually means that mentally they arent all there and I'm wondering whether the emerging threat of SBW is starting to unnerve Ma'a and affecting his play.

His consistency over the past couple seasons has coincided with his regular selection when no one came close to challenging him. But prior to that, when he was in and out of team while battling Mauger and McAlister for the 12 spot, he was all over the place.

Its almost like he needs the security of being selected each week in order to relax and play his best footy.

Early days for SBW but I think he's done enough this tour to deserve the starting spot in the final game of the year at least. But will need to back it up next year with a full S15 campaign to really stake his claim.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Early media reports suggest it will be the SBW/Smith show against Wales Sad
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:00 am

Thinking back now would have liked to see SBW tested up against BOD, nothing against Hook/Shanklin but SBW needs to be tested.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am

Pantherus wrote:
Early media reports suggest it will be the SBW/Smith show against Wales Sad

Yea I noticed that.

You not keen on the idea p'rus?
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am

KromyD wrote:
Thinking back now would have liked to see SBW tested up against BOD, nothing against Hook/Shanklin but SBW needs to be tested.

True that.

Pity Jamie Roberts isnt playing for the Welsh. He's a massive unit and would've been a good test for SBW too
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:34 am

I dunno - just think people are yahoo'ing too much about SBW like he's some kind of deus ex machina and Nonu's just being unfairly left by the wayside as a result.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 4:16 am

Pantherus wrote:
I dunno - just think people are yahoo'ing too much about SBW like he's some kind of deus ex machina and Nonu's just being unfairly left by the wayside as a result.

Yea fair enough, I felt the same way when Guildford was being trumpeted as the next hot thing at the beginning of the year and everyone was bagging Rokocoko.

The difference I guess is that back then Rokocoko not only had his history behind him, but was also in better form than the youngster too.

Wheras here I dont think we can argue that Nonu has been pretty quiet all tour.

If SBW does start I'm looking at it as just a one off game. A reward for a good tour so far.

I'm certainly not looking at it as a pointer to the WC, there's still far too much footy to be be played between now and then. Nonu will no doubt show his class again we still got guys like Kahui & Ranger to throw into the mix too.

Good times

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 am

This season's S15's local matches are going to have some pretty serious AB trials around them.

When we do previews next year we should ensure we highlight the key matchups as we go Smile
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 8:40 am

Pantherus wrote:
This season's S15's local matches are going to have some pretty serious AB trials around them.

When we do previews next year we should ensure we highlight the key matchups as we go Smile

Oh yea for sure. When do the Canes & Crusaders square off?

SBW/Fruean vs Nonu/Smith will be an absolute cracker.
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 am

SBW/Conrad
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 am

Nonu is a superstar and there is no way Smith can be dropped he's mr consistent. For me SBW is so overrated at this stage, don't get me wrong he will be extremely good eventually but at the moment the talk of him getting that starting spot and keeping it make me laugh.. The real test will come during the super 15 season and questions will be answered like can he back it up week in week out at that level. Will he even play centre for the saders though? Heard talk about him playing in the pack but i call bullshit. Anyway the only reason i would be playing SBW at this stage is for the experience and the chance to fast track his game, say the WC was tomorrow then no way would he be starting for me.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABs Midfield Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs Midfield   ABs Midfield Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABs Midfield
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum hosting | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com