Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Top 10 Players in the NRL

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thehattrickrabbit
Guru
Thehattrickrabbit

Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 11:57 am

What does Cam Smith offer?. He is dead-set the most over-rated thing on the rugby league planet?, I swear I've never seen him make a clean line-break in my life.
Back to top Go down
Thehattrickrabbit
Guru
Thehattrickrabbit

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Nathan Friend is a better hooker then Cam Smith as is a few others. Friend does with Cam Smith does (tackles), but actually looks threatning in attack also
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 pm

How butthurt are you. Smith is the best hooker. End of story.
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 pm

Friend is a great hooker, but no way does he possess the class of Cameron Smith. Smith might not make a lot of linebreaks but he still knows when to run and make easy metres, always makes the right decision on which way to pass, and has the best long kicking game in the game. He is responsible for leading that Storm, Queensland and Australian side around the park and no one does a better job of that than him.
Back to top Go down
Thehattrickrabbit
Guru
Thehattrickrabbit

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Cameron Smith: (Stats Rank for hooker)
Tries: 12th
Line-breaks: 12th
Line-break assists: 8th
Try Assists: 11th
Offloads: 11th
Tackle Breaks: 10th
Average Metres: 16th
Tackles: 3rd

Comparing to the two other hookers who are often compared with.

Issac Luke
Tries: 1st
Line-breaks: 1st
Line-break assists: 2nd
Try Assists: 3rd
Offloads: 1st
Tackle Breaks: 1st
Average Metres: 1st
Tackles: 16th

Robbie Farah
Tries: 2nd
Line-breaks: 2nd
Line-break assists: 1st
Try Assists: 1st
Offloads: 2nd
Tackle Breaks: 2nd
Average Metres: 2nd
Tackles: 4th

Best hooker my arse, based on this season, He isn't even remotely close.
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 pm

I know its been said before, but some things are just intangible i.e cannot be measured by traditional statistics.

Cam Smith makes the right decisions.
Back to top Go down
Boomer
Guru
Boomer

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:33 pm

My attempt at an objective top ten:

1 Jonathan Thurston
2 Billy Slater
3 Cam Smith
4 Todd Carney
5 Jarryd Hayne
6 Scott Prince
7 Benji Marshall
8 Josh Dugan
9 Issac Luke
10 Paul Gallen
Back to top Go down
lions10
Professional
lions10

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 1:57 pm

players who I think are the top ten in order

1. Jonathan Thurston
2. Todd Carney
3. Issac Luke
4. Billy Slater
5. Paul Gallen
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Robbie Farah
8. Scott Prince
9. Benji Marshall
10. Sam Thaiday
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:20 pm

THe biggest stat for Cam Smith is the 08 Grand Final.

Melbourne lose 40-0 with out him. Obviously I'm not saying we would've won with him, but we would've atleast got on the scoreboard and made the game alot closer.
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:22 pm

SBW wrote:
Look THTR, the only way I can describe you after reading that list is delusional.

Styletix, having Soward at Number 1 on your list might just be a joke, but if it's not then I'd describe you as the same.

Not many people on here have much objectivity. Even Scotty, who I would describe as one of the more astute Rugby League brains on TFW or Sportal, has made a big mistake putting Lockyer so high in my opinion. I wouldn't even have him in my Top 10 anymore.

Here is an objective Top 10 players in the NRL

1. Benji Marshall
2. Billy Slater
3. Jonathon Thurston
4. Cameron Smith
5. Greg Inglis
6. Scott Prince
7. Paul Gallen
8. Todd Carney
9. Jarryd Hayne
10. Robbie Farrah

To be honest, that Top 4 could be in any order. I don't think there is much between those 4 at the top of the ladder. And I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise (Scotty and Hank take note Very Happy )
Well that much is clear. I'm pretty happy with the rest of my list.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 pm

SBW wrote:
Look THTR, the only way I can describe you after reading that list is delusional.

Styletix, having Soward at Number 1 on your list might just be a joke, but if it's not then I'd describe you as the same.

Not many people on here have much objectivity. Even Scotty, who I would describe as one of the more astute Rugby League brains on TFW or Sportal, has made a big mistake putting Lockyer so high in my opinion. I wouldn't even have him in my Top 10 anymore.

1. Benji Marshall
2. Billy Slater
3. Jonathon Thurston
4. Cameron Smith
5. Greg Inglis
6. Scott Prince
7. Paul Gallen
8. Todd Carney
9. Jarryd Hayne
10. Robbie Farrah

To be honest, that Top 4 could be in any order. I don't think there is much between those 4 at the top of the ladder. And I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise (Scotty and Hank take note Very Happy )

Thanks for the acknowledgement mate, I can see where you're coming from but I'd still definitely have Locky in my top 10. If I were picking a 5/8 for the short term I'd still take Locky over any other 5/8 in the game, except for maybe Benji although I still probably would, Benji is to hit and miss for my liking, to flashy, and I'd certainly take him in my team over a number of players you named in that top 10.
Back to top Go down
Scotty
Guru
Scotty

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Thehattrickrabbit wrote:
Cameron Smith: (Stats Rank for hooker)
Tries: 12th
Line-breaks: 12th
Line-break assists: 8th
Try Assists: 11th
Offloads: 11th
Tackle Breaks: 10th
Average Metres: 16th
Tackles: 3rd

Comparing to the two other hookers who are often compared with.

Issac Luke
Tries: 1st
Line-breaks: 1st
Line-break assists: 2nd
Try Assists: 3rd
Offloads: 1st
Tackle Breaks: 1st
Average Metres: 1st
Tackles: 16th

Robbie Farah
Tries: 2nd
Line-breaks: 2nd
Line-break assists: 1st
Try Assists: 1st
Offloads: 2nd
Tackle Breaks: 2nd
Average Metres: 2nd
Tackles: 4th

Best hooker my arse, based on this season, He isn't even remotely close.

Putting aside the obvious idiocy of measuring who is the best based off one season alone and a season at that where one of the players involved in your comparison had nothing to play for, stats aren't everything, in fact they're only a very minor part of determining how good a player is or how one player compares to another.

Here's an example

2008 finals series, Broncos v Storm, Ashton Sims and Tonie Carroll both made two errors for the game, that statistic doesn't tell you when those players made those errors (we all know when Sims made one of his), it doesn't tell you whether under the pressure of the moment one cracked.

Statistics don't tell you when a player steps up and drags their team over the line, even looking at how they go against the better and weaker teams in isolation doesn't tell you about their performances in those games, it's just raw data, that's all, relying on stats alone is the height of folly and is an entirely inaccurate way of analysing anything.
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm sick of fucking statistics...we were playing for 0 points this year...how do you expect a consistent performance?!
Besides...stats NEVER paint the performance of a player...idiot for thtr
Back to top Go down
DaneSwan#36
Legend
DaneSwan#36

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:58 am

SBW wrote:

1. Benji Marshall
2. Billy Slater
3. Jonathon Thurston
4. Cameron Smith
5. Greg Inglis
6. Scott Prince
7. Paul Gallen
8. Todd Carney
9. Jarryd Hayne
10. Robbie Farrah

If you could still give Rep on here this post would get some.

I won't do my own list as I don't pay as much attention to the League these days as I used to, but I still watch it every week. This is the best list in this thread imo.

That top 6 is pretty much exactly what mine would be, don't know about order though. Marshall, Slater, Thurston, Smith, Inglis, Prince - Definitely the best in the game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-109-0-0-0
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 4:34 am

Thehattrickrabbit wrote:
10. Billy Slater (AUS/Storm)
9. Todd Carney (AUS/Roosters)
8. Josh Dugan (AUS/Raiders)
7. Issac Luke (NZL/Rabbitohs)
6. Corey Parker (AUS/Broncos)
5. Darren Lockyer (AUS/Broncos)
4. Johnathon Thurston (AUS/Cowboys)
3. Greg Inglis (AUS/Rabbitohs)
2. Paul Gallen (AUS/Sharks)
1. Benji Marshall (NZL/Tigers)

Facepalm

This is my list

1. Johnathan Thurstan
2. Billy Slater
3. Cameron Smith
4. Benji Marshall
5. Darren Lockyer
6. Scott Prince
7. Greg Inglis
8. Paul Gallen
9. Hayne Plane
10. Todd Carney
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:17 am

I would have something like

1. JT
2. Benji
3. GI
4. Slater
5. Smith
6. Carney
7. Gallen
8. Hayne
9. Lockyer
10. Prince
------------------------------
11. Thaiday
12. Cronk
13. Farah
14. Mannering
15. Burgess
16. Boyd
17. Matt Scott
18. Luke Lewis
19. SKD
20. Luke
---------------------------
21. Manu Vatuvei
22. Lyon
23. Petero
24. Bird
25. Pearce
26. Ash Harrison
27. Myles
28. Watmough
29. Soward
30. Michael Bani

It's really hard though doing a type of list like this as it's hard to compare form, history, positions etc but i'm sure anyone could come up with a better list than THTR's piece of shit. (Dugan would probs round out my 30 but after this year without a ball being kicked i'd tip him to rise a hell of a lot up that list)

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Thehattrickrabbit
Guru
Thehattrickrabbit

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 am

Parker is miles better than Watmough. Are you freaking kidding me?
Back to top Go down
Saints#1
Professional
Saints#1

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:11 am

10, Darius Boyd
9. Scott Prince
8. Darren Lockyer
7. Paul Gallen
6. Issac Luke
5. Todd Carney
4. Billy Slater
3. Greg Inglis
2. Jonathan Thurston
1. Benji Marshall
Back to top Go down
socceroos06
Guru
socceroos06

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:09 am

^^ No Cam smith?
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:30 am

Thehattrickrabbit wrote:

What is with you man, do you just pick a random player to wank over every now and again or what..

It wasn't long ago you were saying how shit JT was, he couldn't control a team he's shit blah blah your usual crock of shit and now you have him in your list scratch

Parker is solid but no way would he be in the top 10, I didn't even have him in my 30 and that wasn't including players (backrowers) like D.J, Luck, Heighington the list goes on.. Get a grip mate

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:13 am

Parker isn't even the best backrower in his team...
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 10:58 am

Just because theyre workhorses doesnt mean theyre the greatest thing ever.
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Beckham wrote:
Thehattrickrabbit wrote:

What is with you man, do you just pick a random player to wank over every now and again or what..

It wasn't long ago you were saying how shit JT was, he couldn't control a team he's shit blah blah your usual crock of shit and now you have him in your list scratch

Parker is solid but no way would he be in the top 10, I didn't even have him in my 30 and that wasn't including players (backrowers) like D.J, Luck, Heighington the list goes on.. Get a grip mate

parker is better than michael luck
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm

Luck was just a name on the top of my head, I actually don't know if Parker is better to be honest. Either way Parker dosn't make the list so i've made my point.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 2:21 pm

ahk well anyways luck tackles. doesn't offer much in attack. parker is a good runner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Players in the NRL   Top 10 Players in the NRL - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com