Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

SBW's Boxing ambitions

Go down 

What do you think of SBW's planned boxing bouts next year?
I'm fine with it - good luck to him
SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_lcap20%SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
Not overly happy but it's in his contract so I can live with it
SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_lcap40%SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
I think its BS and hope he gets knocked out and taught a lesson
SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_lcap40%SBW's Boxing ambitions Vote_rcap
 40% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
40/20
Professional
40/20

SBW's Boxing ambitions Empty
PostSubject: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 am

Been a bit of media on this recently, so was interested to see what TFW members thought on SBW's latest headline.

Personally, I'm disappointed. Both in SBW and the NZRU.

If he wants to prove to everyone how committed he is to his rugby career, and to the Crusaders and All Blacks, then signing up for a boxing bout the week pre-seaons trials are starting is certainly a bizarre way of showing it.

Even more disturbing were the reports that his next bout is scheduled for one of the Crusaders bye weeks during the round robin.

I've been a fan of his for a long time but this just seems to be yet another poor decision by an otherwise (seemingly) decent person.

I dont know whether this is a result of poor advice from the people around him or what, but either way, he needs to realise that the jersey he is trying to win represents more than just a footy team but an entire country.

Its for that same reason I think the NZRU has erred as well. He's obviously a special player and while I accept they were up against far bigger financial offers from Toulon etc, and therefore had to be a little creative in their package, what SBW is doing here cheapens the jersey far more than any rotation policy ever did.

And the NZRU, despite the guys obvious ability, should have drawn the line and said "No. If you are serious about playing for this team, you need to understand what this jersey means to people. Its either Boxing or the All Blacks. You decide."

If he goes on to win us a WC, then I'm sure all will be forgiven and forgotten. But right now, its leaving a very bitter after taste.

Almost to the point where I hope guys like Kahui, Ranger and McAlister outplay him in the S15 and show him what wanting to be an All Black really means.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah - I'm with you 100% on this one bro.

Well...I don't so much think it cheapens the jersey per se - but it certainly shows his contempt for NZ Rugby and the Black Jersey that he thinks it's fine to partake in something like this.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 am

Yea I think its ridiculous. There's talk of resting some of the ABs in the Super 15, yet they let SBW go in to the ring.

The shit thing is that if any other player wanted to do the same they would never be allowed. He should leave his boxing for when he's finished with rugby.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:05 am

Pantherus wrote:
Yeah - I'm with you 100% on this one bro.

Well...I don't so much think it cheapens the jersey per se - but it certainly shows his contempt for NZ Rugby and the Black Jersey that he thinks it's fine to partake in something like this.

Yea fair call, saying it cheapens the jersey is probably a bit harsh.

But gees, I couldnt believe it when the news first broke. I kept hoping he would come out laughing and say he would never contemplate something so foolish.

You know another silly thing - the AB conditioning coach was interviewed during the Nov tour and said his boxing training was actually holding back his physical development as a rugby player.

He wasnt as strong in the core and legs as he could've been simply because he hadnt worked on it, which was a by product of his boxing trainers wanting him to keep his hands quick.

So instead of spending the pre-season on a training program thats rugby focused - that will not only make him stronger and quicker, but also less susceptible to injury - he's going to be half assing around trying to mix in his boxing training.

You would think with his injury history he would be up for anything that keeps him on the pitch.

Its absolutely beyond belief.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 am

Well I just hope that he puts the performances on the pitch to EARN his spot in the WC, rather than be given it automatically. As you say, the likes of Kahui, Ranger, Toeava, and even Fruean are lurking in the wings for him to fight off.
Back to top Go down
TGBY
Guru
TGBY

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 am

Be funny if he got knocked out, and injured or something and had to spend time on the sidelines, makes the whole idea seem rather stupid.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 3:07 am

yeah this is all to do with SBW listening too much to Mundine and KhoderNasser.
SBW is so on to it so I cant understand why he associates with those losers
one upside is that SBW will definately be conditioned for rugby
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 3:23 am

That's the thing though - as 40/20 said the training for Boxing was actually inhibiting his Union training...
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 am

I recon SBW will eventually follow Mundines footsteps and take up a boxing career fulltime. Obviously no evidence of this at the moment but it's just a feeling i have.. I mean it's a WC year ffs, surely his main priority should be on that AB jersey and making it his own. His head is all over the joint, has been for a long time now and the longer he hangs out with Mundine and Co the more chance there is of him doing that switch fulltime.

This guy he is fighting beat Carl Webb in a bout so he isn't an absolute dud like the last guy he fought.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 am

and now SBW is carrying a calf injury which could b a fracture
SBW is gonna box his way out of an ABs jersey
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 am

mania wrote:
and now SBW is carrying a calf injury which could b a fracture
SBW is gonna box his way out of an ABs jersey

I was listening to one of his interviews and he said the injury has no way of getting even worse due to boxing (something along those lines).. He said he just can't stride out but he's confident he'll make round one. The way he was talking though makes me think he'll make the switch even more, either that or back to league. Almost as though he doesn't give a shit about Union.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 3:34 am

Beckham wrote:
Almost as though he doesn't give a shit about Union.

duh Smile
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 2:40 am

Well he won the match by unanimous points decision and apparently looked pretty good in the ring.

I hope he'll pay a bit more attention to his rugby now though...
Back to top Go down
Styletix
Guru
Styletix

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 3:57 am

I wouldnt worry much about Sbw's in-ring exploits, he only fights bums.
Back to top Go down
Rego
Professional
Rego

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 pm

Meh Couldn't care if he got injured or not - I honestly don't rate him. I mean it's not like the first five position where if Carter gets injured before the WC we're screwed. There is a lot of good players that can play centre. Nonu, Smith, Fruean, Kahui, Stanely, even Toeava if need be. If SBW was to get injured it wouldn't be oh no now we have to bring in Slade or Cruden, they could play good or extremely bad sort of thing.....
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 am

Rego wrote:
Meh Couldn't care if he got injured or not - I honestly don't rate him. I mean it's not like the first five position where if Carter gets injured before the WC we're screwed. There is a lot of good players that can play centre. Nonu, Smith, Fruean, Kahui, Stanely, even Toeava if need be. If SBW was to get injured it wouldn't be oh no now we have to bring in Slade or Cruden, they could play good or extremely bad sort of thing.....

I agree that we're well served in the midfield, but to say you dont rate him?

Gees thats a big call. He's a hell of an athlete with some absolutely remarkable skills.

I still think this boxing thing was a stupid thing to do, but now that its over, I hope he puts his head down and proves that all his talk last year about wanting to be the best rugby player he can be wasnt just a load of media bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Rego
Professional
Rego

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 am

40/20 wrote:
Rego wrote:

I agree that we're well served in the midfield, but to say you dont rate him?

Gees thats a big call. He's a hell of an athlete with some absolutely remarkable skills.

I still think this boxing thing was a stupid thing to do, but now that its over, I hope he puts his head down and proves that all his talk last year about wanting to be the best rugby player he can be wasnt just a load of media bullshit.

He's a league player....he always will be. The only reason people rate him is because of the media of the situation and the only reason he got picked for the AB's was to put bums on seats. I don't rate him.....he makes an offload to someone and they score, suddenly that makes him a good player. Heck I've done that before, did I suddenly become the next AB, heck no. He still has a lot to prove in my books.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 12:54 am

Wow Rego - really showing off your ignorance...

SBW's got some incredible skills, and the offloads that he manages are ones that almost nobody else in world rugby could replicate. The combination of vision, strength and technique required...even the likes of Carter and Nonu have said how remarkable ability he has.

As an individual player, I really do rate him, and any country in the world would be grateful to have him; but in the grand scheme of things (especially given the wealth of talent we have in the midfield) he's far from the be-all-and-end-all that the media crow. Nonu and Smith are still very much the incumbents...
Back to top Go down
ptabutoa
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 9:35 am

I am surprised the New Zealand rugby board has not banned him from boxing especially with the world cup around the corner.Big chance for anyone to get brain damage in boxing which can go undetected until more physical contact like in rugby.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 10:36 am

They can hardly ban him when they explicitly gave him permission to in his contract...
Back to top Go down
Kiwinhaiti
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 10:33 pm

And he's at it again. Sitting out at the moment with a convenient bruise. I also can't believe that he would be aloud to box this close to the WC. I would have thought there would be a clause in his contract about it.
But I guess Henry is playing favorites again and clearly some players are bigger than the game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SBW's Boxing ambitions   SBW's Boxing ambitions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SBW's Boxing ambitions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com