Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Breaking News: Benji in hot water?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pat Macrack
Guru
Pat Macrack

Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Empty
PostSubject: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 9:23 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/police-seek-to-question-benji-marshall-over-alleged-fight-at-the-rocks/story-e6frewt0-1226016358334

Quote :
Police want to speak to Benji Marshall over alleged fight at the Rocks

By David Riccio From: The Sunday Telegraph March 05, 2011 5:05PM

Police want to speak with Benji Marshall following an alleged altercation in the Rocks in the early hours of this morning.

Marshall - the new face of NRL - is believed to have been at the scene of a physical altercation at 3am this morning.

Marshall, 26, spent last night hosting Children’s Cancer Institute Australia’s (CCIA) first annual Footy Rocks.

Police released a media statement confirming an incident involving a 26-year-old male.

Police attached to The Rocks Local Area Command are investigating an alleged assault outside a fast food restaurant in Sydney’s CBD overnight.

About 3.20am today (Saturday 5 March 2011), a verbal altercation allegedly occurred between a 24-year-old man and a 26-year-old man in George Street, near the intersection with Bridge Street.

The 26-year-old and another male allegedly assaulted the 24-year-old before leaving the area.

The 24-year-old sustained a small facial laceration and reported the alleged incident to The Rocks Police Station.

An investigation is underway into the circumstances surrounding the alleged incident, and police are hoping to speak with a 26-year-old man who may be able to assist with inquiries.

Anyone with information is asked to contact The Rocks Police Station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000."

It's funny how it seems like the "Face of the Game" always finds a way to get into some hot water...
Back to top Go down
Pat Macrack
Guru
Pat Macrack

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 am

More to the story...

Quote :
The poster boy of the NRL, Benji Marshall, claims racist taunts provoked him to punch a man in the face yesterday.

Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, told The Sun-Herald that a group of eight to 10 people baited the Wests Tigers superstar in The Rocks about 3.20am, allegedly calling him a "black c---" and telling him to "f--- off back to New Zealand".

Mr Tauber confirmed that Marshall – pictured centre, left as the star of The Sun-Herald's 2011 Footy Guide – retaliated by punching one of his alleged tormenters in the face at the intersection of Bridge and George Streets. It is another setback days before the start of the NRL season following a run of scandals. In the past week, Todd Carney has been charged with drink-driving while league identities have been arrested over the Bulldogs betting sting.

The NRL selected Marshall – a clean skin – to officially launch the NRL season at Casula during the week. Marshall's mother, Lydia, said he was not intoxicated when they left the Four Seasons Hotel after a fundraising partnership between the Benji Marshall Foundation and the Children's Cancer Institute of Australia. "The boy is not at fault," Tauber said.
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/racist-taunts-spark-benji-marshall-brawl-20110305-1bioq.html

That shines some light on the issue. Sure, it was definitely the wrong thing to do, and it's more bad publicity for the NRL, but if that's really what caused it, you can see why Benji wanted to punch the bloke.
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Not that big of an issue but he will get criticized because he's Benji.
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Players shouldn't be out a 3 am this close to the start of the season. Clubs should make it a hard and fast rule that if they go out they finish the night at 1am and then there is less chance of crap like this happening, but at the same time if the muppet wants to mouth off with racist remarks then he definitely deserves a smack in the head.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 pm

what kind of pussy gives a dude shit gets punched in the face because of it and then goes running to the cops?

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 9:07 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
what kind of pussy gives a dude shit gets punched in the face because of it and then goes running to the cops?

You wonder whether the prick would've tried that on if it was Frank Pritchard and Jeremy Smith he had come across.
Back to top Go down
All_Star94
Guru
All_Star94

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 9:45 am

The prick deserved to be punched. Benji should've not been charged at all, the prick shouldve been charged instead for racial slur.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 am

Carnage got absolutely raped in the media and he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Just saying, all this sympathy for Benji is unreal considering he hit a bloke. Yeah i get he was getting battered by racism taunts etc but i would say the bloke was doing it to get into a blue and get his minute of fame. Benji should know people are after him and as hard as it would be to walk away it's something he just has to do. Not a fan of double standards, different offences but Carney copped his on the chin and Benji should cop something.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
jackcf_93
Veteran
jackcf_93

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am

Beckham wrote:
Carnage got absolutely raped in the media and he didn't hurt anyone but himself. Just saying, all this sympathy for Benji is unreal considering he hit a bloke. Yeah i get he was getting battered by racism taunts etc but i would say the bloke was doing it to get into a blue and get his minute of fame. Benji should know people are after him and as hard as it would be to walk away it's something he just has to do. Not a fan of double standards, different offences but Carney copped his on the chin and Benji should cop something.
Carney was obviously a repeat offender already on his "last chance" though.
I do agree with you though, Benji should have held himself together. He probably would have had a few drinks which would have been the main reason he hit the guy. He hit the guy, he should face the consequences.

The bloke he hit is both a fuckwit for the racist comments and a cat for running to the police.

EDIT: Drink-driving is fucking stupid. I'm not defending Carney.
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:16 am

How many chances has Carney had? and how many chances has Benji had?
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 am

jackcf_93 wrote:
Beckham wrote:
Carney was obviously a repeat offender already on his "last chance" though.
I do agree with you though, Benji should have held himself together. He probably would have had a few drinks which would have been the main reason he hit the guy. He hit the guy, he should face the consequences.

The bloke he hit is both a fuckwit for the racist comments and a cat for running to the police.

EDIT: Drink-driving is fucking stupid. I'm not defending Carney.

I'm not defending Carney either, but i'm not going to defend Benji like alot of others seem to be. Carney was obviously a toss but he didn't have enough alcohol in his system to lose control of a car and kill someone, he wouldn't have had any worries if he wasn't on his ps. Just something to think about. If Benji really clocked the bloke who knows he could have killed him, then what? Benji seems to be getting defended maybe because he's such a likeable guy, i don't like it at all. Wait and see i guess.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
All_Star94
Guru
All_Star94

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 am

anyone hear the channel Ten news updates about this story?? the newsreporter quotes "The career of West tigers star Benji Marshall, is in doubt after being....." forgot the rest but WHAT A JOKE. Benji's career in doubt, pfft.
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Highly doubt he's career will be in doubt... if Carney only copped a fine, then Benji will probably get the same punishment. Anything more than a fine (like missing a game or more of footy) is absolutely ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:51 pm

Racial taunts are the First Resort of a Numbnuts
Back to top Go down
keno
Guru
keno

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 3:43 pm

poor benji. obviously giving the bloke back what he really deserved was a poor decision, as someone mentioned before, people will be out to get a reaction from him and all other sports stars in order to get their 30 seconds of fame. but he's victim of racial taunts, and now he's being crucified by the media.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:54 am

Beckham wrote:

I'm not defending Carney either, but i'm not going to defend Benji like alot of others seem to be. Carney was obviously a toss but he didn't have enough alcohol in his system to lose control of a car and kill someone, he wouldn't have had any worries if he wasn't on his ps. Just something to think about. If Benji really clocked the bloke who knows he could have killed him, then what? Benji seems to be getting defended maybe because he's such a likeable guy, i don't like it at all. Wait and see i guess.

He's being defended because of the circumstances surrounding the incident:

• It was after a charity dinner where he had just helped raise $250k for childrens cancer
  • Witnesses confirm he was not drunk - he had just signed close to 50 autographs in the McDonalds where the incident occurred
  • He was provoked by repeated racial abuse - people accept that it wasnt just a run-of-the-mill drunken brawl by a boozing football player, there were severe mitigating circumstances
  • And unlike other players like Carney, off-field incidents are not in his nature

I like to think that I'm fundamentally a good person and I'm comfortable saying that. But I would've done exactly the same thing Benji did. And not lost a bit of sleep over it.

Its unlikely whether the PC crowd at NRL HQ will see it the same way, but it would appear that most league fans support Benji. I would imagine most of the players in the NRL support him too.

Hopefully thats enough for him to keep his chin up and move forward with his integrity and character intact.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:42 pm

a Leb's word has about as much Meaning as a Flushed Dunny .

Who charges people with assault without a Hospital visit ..... a Fat Lip cmon a Fat lip (I haven't had a Fat Lip in a Fight since early High School ...Now a fat lip would be seen as a success) I think he's got a fat lip from drinking with Straws
Back to top Go down
jackcf_93
Veteran
jackcf_93

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 am

The bloke he hit was lebanese? Now that makes no fucking sense. If anyone should fuckoff back to their own country it's that fuckwit.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 am

The bloke is saying he didn't say anything to Benji.. and i think he has Srilankan in him or something like that.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 am

Chucker
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 1:54 am

If Benji Marshall punched me i'd take it as a compliment
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaking News: Benji in hot water?   Breaking News: Benji in hot water? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Breaking News: Benji in hot water?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com