Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Empty
PostSubject: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:01 am

The NFL player lockout has led to Cincinnati Bengals wide-receiver Chad Ochocinco trialling with Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas City in the hope of securing a steady income.

Ochocinco, a six-time Pro Bowl selection and one of the NFL's top wide-receivers, said the NFL lockout has enabled him to pursue his "childhood dream of playing for a Major League Soccer team".

He will commence his four-day trial with Kansas City next week.

Sporting's coach Peter Vermes said he was interested to see how Ochocinco's athleticism would translate on the soccer field.

"We are always searching for players who can help our team and bringing in new talent. We know that Chad is an exceptional athlete and loves the sport of soccer and he did play a lot when he was younger.

"We are excited to see how his skills will translate once he arrives next week and begins training with our team," he said.

The NFL and the players' union are heading to court on April 6 where an anti-trust case will be heard following the breakdown in talks over a new collective agreement.

It is expected the 2011-2012 NFL season be cancelled due to the dispute.

Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:07 am

Can someone explain NFL Lockout to an idiot (i.e. me)?
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:26 am

Cynic wrote:
Can someone explain NFL Lockout to an idiot (i.e. me)?

Basically it is over money

The Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) that is between the teams, players association and the NFL is that 60% of profits go to the players (salaries, bonuses etc.)

The owners of the teams are worried because, since the Global Financial Crisis, the money needed to run a team, apparently has gone through the roof, so they want a change to the CBA to lessen the load on their back pockets pretty much. The players dont believe they are losing money, so they want it to stay the way it is. However, they went an extra step, saying if it went ahead, they would dissolve the NFLPA (association) and file lawsuits against the teams and the NFL.

They held negotiations, but they broke down. The union was dissolved, and in response, the lockdown happened

The lockout is the owners shutting down, and "locking" players out of the facilities of the club

BASICALLY THEY CANT AGREE TO A NEW CONTRACT, AS THE PLAYERS WANT THE SAME MONEY, AND THE OWNERS WANT MORE MONEY TO RUN A TEAM. THE OWNERS DIDNT GET WHAT THEY WANTED, SO THEY BASICALLY LOCKED EVERYONE OUT OF THE TRAINING FACILITIES, AND THEIR FIELDS
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:35 am

So the owners want less money to go to the players, and more to go to themselves. That didn't happen so they took their ball and went home. I hope that's right.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:43 am

Cynic wrote:
So the owners want less money to go to the players, and more to go to themselves. That didn't happen so they took their ball and went home. I hope that's right.

Sorta

Both the players, and the owners are to blame.

Owners- shut the gates, and aren't letting anyone in until they get what they want

Players- dissolved the Players Union, and filed lawsuits against the teams, which is extremely taboo

The owners came up with a few ways to increase revenue, including a rookie year wage cap, an extended season from 16 games played to 18 games played. The players said no in every instance.

Its just that both parties cant agree to where the money should be spent
Back to top Go down
Cynic
Legend
Cynic

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 am

Aha. That's easier to understand.
Back to top Go down
Bronco_josh
Professional
Bronco_josh

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:50 am

Cynic wrote:

Season 2011 wont be going ahead, which is a shame
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:09 am

Bronco_josh wrote:
Cynic wrote:

I still think it'll go ahead as no NFL in 2011/12 will mean everyone loses out.

They'll reach an agreement eventually.
Back to top Go down
philly
Guru
philly

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Bronco_josh wrote:
Cynic wrote:

I still think it'll go ahead as no NFL in 2011/12 will mean everyone loses out.

They'll reach an agreement eventually.
This.

And Laughing @ 86 plating football.
Back to top Go down
liam_bombers
Guru
liam_bombers

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice to see Ocho seeking attention, not like him what so ever.

The lockouts gonna happen and it sucks. Praying an agreement is reached. The NFL being cancelled would be catastrophic for just about everyone.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 8:24 am

lol ocho will do anything for attention wont he hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer   Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lockout claims first victim- Huge Star possible move to soccer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com