Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Beckham
Beckham

Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Empty
PostSubject: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 am

Quote :
Darren Lockyer has today announced that the 2011 season will be his final year in the National Rugby League.

Lockyer, who turned 34 last week, said he was pleased and comfortable with his decision to retire after 17 seasons of top-grade football.

He will leave the game holding nearly every record of note.

Lockyer, who became a father last year, said today he felt the time was right to move on to the next chapter of his life.

“I am still enjoying playing and am really excited about the Broncos and rest of the 2011 year,” he said.

“Of course it will be hard to leave my teammates and the Broncos’ organisation at the end of the season, but I know the timing is right.

“I have had a wonderful career as a rugby league player, but I just feel it is time to move on to the next stage of my life.”

Lockyer said he had no concrete plans for future involvement in the game at this point in time.

“Of course I will observe the game and watch what is going on, but at this point I am going to take a compete break from the day-to-day grind of the NRL,” he said.

NRMA Insurance Broncos chief executive Paul White said today was a historic day for the club as the Broncos began the transition into life without Darren Lockyer.

“We appreciate the integrity that Darren has shown and the way he has decided to make this announcement now, which will allow our fans to celebrate his achievement for the rest of the season,” he said.

“I think it is fair to say that we will never have another player like Darren Lockyer.

“He has driven success here at the Broncos, has been a tremendous achiever at both club and representative level, and has been the epitome of professionalism for not only our club, but our game.

“Darren’s historical place in the very fabric of the game of rugby league is assured and he has deserved every accolade he has received.”

http://www.nrl.com/darren-lockyer-announces-hisretirement/tabid/10874/newsid/61970/default.aspx

Absolute legend of the game, future hall of famer, immortal the lot. Had to happen eventually but it's going to be a little strange seeing a Broncos side without Lockyer in it. Queensland legend, put everything into that Maroon jersey.. Hope he has a ripper year personally and this suddenly makes the Broncos even more Dangerous.. Locky Salut

XOXO
Back to top Go down
Caity
Guru
Caity

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 am

SadSadSadSad

Worst news ever probably just because i didn't expect it, i'm totally not ready for life without Lockyer ahhh!! Ever since i started supporting the Broncos he's been my fav it's going to be totally weird not seeing him out there..
Back to top Go down
jtm91
Guru
jtm91

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:27 am

Sad we'll need to buy a new half. wallace and hunt wont do
Back to top Go down
The Tank
Guru
The Tank

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 am

That's sad Crying or Very sad Such a great player and has done so much for the sport

Hopefully Ricky follows his lead
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 8:52 am

Locky Salut

I was so sad when i first found out! I never want him to stop playing... i wanted him to be the Peter Pan on Rugby League haha.

Hope the Broncos do well this season for him, hope QLD go 6 in a row, hope Australia win every game under his captaincy and i also hope he breaks all the records mentioned at the start of the year.

Locky's a legend on and off the field... end of an era.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 9:05 am

Played against Darren twice before, it's fair to say he achieved slightly more.

My age has retired ....Reality is a Biter.

How many times has he scored at the end to win ...

Sad Day but the Sun will rise in the morning

Back to top Go down
keno
Guru
keno

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:29 pm

i've never been a fan of lockyer, but i still have the upmost respect for the man. to give so much loyalty to the broncos, and to give so much to the game, to always pop up when the broncos needed a play to win a game he delivers, and also not getting up to mischeif are definitely traits that more players should follow.

and for that, mr. lockyer, you will be missed.
Back to top Go down
Jenko
Guru
Jenko

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

What a legend. Hope he breaks some more records
Back to top Go down
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 2:42 pm

LEGEND!!! cheers

Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 2:32 pm

brisbane will miss him
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement   Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darren Lockyer Announces Retirement
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com