Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Ennis to return to Newcastle?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brad
Guru

Ennis to return to Newcastle? Empty
PostSubject: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 am

Ennis set to return to Knights after Bennett deal
Brad Walter
April 13, 2011

WAYNE BENNETT'S signing with the Knights has sparked a chain reaction that is tipped to result in NSW Origin hooker Michael Ennis returning to Newcastle next season and Michael Maguire appointed South Sydney coach within days.

On a dramatic day in rugby league, the Bulldogs also lost Blues centre Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast, with speculation that his shock decision to join the Titans on a five-year deal was partly due to the Knights' inability to fit both him and Darius Boyd under the salary cap.

Boyd will follow Bennett from St George Illawarra to Newcastle next season, along with key members of the Dragons coaching staff, headed by high-performance manager Jeremy Hickmans.

The Dragons contingent, who all moved from Brisbane with Bennett in 2009, could be joined at the Knights by another former Bronco in Ennis. Canterbury last month announced the 27-year-old Newcastle junior had agreed to a contract extension for a further three seasons but it is believed he has a get-out clause.

Ennis left the Broncos at the same time as Bennett, and has a close relationship with the master coach from his three-year stint under him. It is understood he would have gone with Bennett had he chosen to return to Brisbane or to join Souths.

It is also understood Ennis is yet to sign his new deal with the Bulldogs, which was announced on March 1, but the contract means he can exercise a get-out clause by round 10 of this year's competition.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/ennis-set-to-return-to-knights-after-bennett-deal-20110412-1dcp6.html

The article also says Michael Maguire (Wigan's coach) has already agreed to coach Souths next year and it may be announced as early as today.
Back to top Go down
JB-NQC
Guru
JB-NQC

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:43 am

Well that would suck for the Bulldogs... Idris now him?

Where would they play him though? Is De Gois leaving or something?
Back to top Go down
Thehattrickrabbit
Guru
Thehattrickrabbit

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 am

Stoked with this deal!. Hold him fairly highly as a young coach, not
too far off playing age. Serving under who I think is the new best
coach in the league Craig Bellamy as he's proven to hold firm minus
439282 players who left melbourne; for four seasons is experience at
the highest nrl level and highest results an assistant coach can
receive. on the back of that, his first year as a head coach of rugby
league he steers his side Wigan to a premiership. He's had a world of
waiting for the chance and he picked up a bit of silverware for it in
england. I think this guy will work wonders for the team!.
Back to top Go down
James
Professional
James

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:04 am

JB-NQC wrote:
Well that would suck for the Bulldogs... Idris now him?

Where would they play him though? Is De Gois leaving or something?

Degois is off contract at the end of this season. So the knights are now linked to Ennis, Snowden and Boyd. It will be interesting to see who they get.
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:10 am

Thehattrickrabbit wrote:
Stoked with this deal!. Hold him fairly highly as a young coach, not
too far off playing age. Serving under who I think is the new best
coach in the league Craig Bellamy as he's proven to hold firm minus
439282 players who left melbourne; for four seasons is experience at
the highest nrl level and highest results an assistant coach can
receive. on the back of that, his first year as a head coach of rugby
league he steers his side Wigan to a premiership. He's had a world of
waiting for the chance and he picked up a bit of silverware for it in
england. I think this guy will work wonders for the team!.

can he come over now? Razz
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:13 am

They will get Boyd. Still not sure on if Boyd or Gidley will play fullback and 5/8, I'm backing Gidley to play 5/8. Lockyer swapped from fullback to 5/8 at about the same age as Gidley is at the moment so it makes sense.

They will also get Snowden, apparently he has agreed to terms with the Knights, and the offer is good to refuse.

Wouldn't be surprised to see John Morris off to England and Isaac De Gois to return the Sharks.
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:16 am

Brenton wrote:
They will get Boyd. Still not sure on if Boyd or Gidley will play fullback and 5/8, I'm backing Gidley to play 5/8. Lockyer swapped from fullback to 5/8 at about the same age as Gidley is at the moment so it makes sense.

They will also get Snowden, apparently he has agreed to terms with the Knights, and the offer is good to refuse.

Wouldn't be surprised to see John Morris off to England and Isaac De Gois to return the Sharks.

Well in his early Career Gidley did play 5/8 then switched to Fullback, looks like he is looking to move back.
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 5:32 am

Well I guess he's not going to the Knights...

MICHAEL Ennis is expected to scotch talk of a potential move to Newcastle by publicly confirming his commitment to Canterbury today.

Ennis, who hails from Newcastle, was linked with a return to the Knights next season, where he would have been reunited with his former coach at Brisbane, Wayne Bennett.

However, Bulldogs officials have privately denied Ennis will leave and the NSW hooker - who signed a three-year extension last month which ties him to the Bulldogs until the end of 2014 - is expected to reaffirm his commitment to the club.

With Ennis off limits, Newcastle officials are expected to finalise a deal with their current hooker Isaac de Gois. The Australian understands the Knights were down the track with de Gois, but the deal was unable to be finalised because of the Tinkler takeover.

The club is also expected to finalise deals with Cronulla prop Kade Snowden and St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd in coming weeks.

http://www.theaustralian...y-e6frg7mf-1226038446553
Back to top Go down
manly4lyf
Guru
manly4lyf

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 am

Not bad anyway, snaring a master coach, and two rep players who have tons of class in the space of a few weeks.
Be interesting to see over the course of this year/the off season what players are shelved from Newcastle and which ones are brought in from other clubs.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 6:30 am

I've heard Bennett doesn't like paying frontrowers over 300k that's why Civo, and a few others left (having a mind blank) and Snowden will be getting 400k so if the deal isn't sealed we could see a change of heart. Heard this of Fsn.

On Ennis he basically begged Idris to stay so why would he leave himself.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Just an off-topic question, with Darius Boyd looking certain to become a Knight next year, do you guys think Wayne would play Boyd or Gidley at fullback next season?

Personally, I think the halves should be a Henry-Mullen combo forcing captain Gidley to play his most preferred position at fullback. Boyd, for me, should be played at centre alongside Sa'u.
Back to top Go down
Danger32
Legend
Danger32

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Gidley to hooker or 5/8, Boyd at FB.

Boyd > Gidley
Back to top Go down
keno
Guru
keno

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 pm

just to throw it out there also, darius (what a great name by the way) did say he was most keen to return home to brisbane, now or to finish his career. but in the mean time now bennett has gone to the knights he may not be as keen and may stay with the dragons.
but this may be all hoping on my part because i don't want to lose boyd.

but if boyd goes with bennett he will definitely play fullback, the past 2 years have definitely suggested that is his position and he is most comfortable there, why would you want to move him away from it?
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:14 am

i agree, i would have Boyd at Fullback and Gidley in the halves.

But yeah Boyd did say he wanted to finish in QLD, so i am wondering how much cap the titans, cowboys and broncos have left.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 5:30 am

Hank Moody wrote:
i agree, i would have Boyd at Fullback and Gidley in the halves.

But yeah Boyd did say he wanted to finish in QLD, so i am wondering how much cap the titans, cowboys and broncos have left.

Boyd has already rejected an offer from the Titans. When Benny finishes at the Knights Boyd will be what 28? He'll probs go back to Qld then.

Bit harsh on Beau Henry all this if Boyd does play FB and moves Gidley to FE.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 am

Beckham wrote:
I've heard Bennett doesn't like paying frontrowers over 300k

You mean you read it in the paper like everyone else did Laughing

About Ennis it would be good to see another Local come home, but we are more than covered with Hilder and Degois.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 am

The Midnight Tinkler wrote:
Beckham wrote:

Read the whole thing next time cockhead.

Beckham wrote:
I've heard Bennett doesn't like paying frontrowers over 300k that's why Civo, and a few others left (having a mind blank) and Snowden will be getting 400k so if the deal isn't sealed we could see a change of heart. Heard this of Fsn.

Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 am

Beckham wrote:
Beckham wrote:

Read the whole thing next time cockhead.

Beckham wrote:

dummyspit onya Beckham, you added that last part in princess.

Laughing
And didnt you get up me last time before I got temporarily banned not to throw insults at posters, and yet here you are, unable to follow even your own rules, practice what you preach dude.
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:16 am

If i added it in it would have an edit down the bottom fool. Obviously someone can't read.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:21 am

Beckham wrote:
If i added it in it would have an edit down the bottom fool. Obviously someone can't read.

Stop bullshitting dude, you can get away with one edit before it comes up.
Is that you in the picture lol, you look like someone just shoved a stick up your arse.
Back to top Go down
Brenton
Guru
Brenton

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 am

He didn't edit the FSN part in, champ.

EDIT - see what happens?

Last edited by Brenton on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:23 am

Beckham wrote:

Stop bullshitting dude, you can get away with one edit before it comes up.
Is that you in the picture lol, you look like someone just shoved a stick up your arse.

Laughing Laughing

XOXO
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 am

Brenton wrote:
yeh he did Laughing
Back to top Go down
Beckham
Beckham

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:26 am

Brenton wrote:
yeh he did Laughing

Feel free to edit a post and see what happens..

XOXO
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 am

Beckham wrote:
Brenton wrote:
yeh he did Laughing

Feel free to edit a post and see what happens..

OK Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ennis to return to Newcastle?   Ennis to return to Newcastle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ennis to return to Newcastle?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com