Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Will Hopoate

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brad
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:51 am

MANLY superstar Will Hopoate has shocked the league world by announcing he will quit the game at the end of this season to embark on a Mormon mission for the next two years.

Manly will make a formal announcement at 12.15pm, but the decision has also left Parramatta and Canterbury disappointed.

Both the Bulldogs and Eels were aggressively chasing Hopoate's services for next season.

MORE TO COME

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/will-hopoates-new-mission/story-e6frfgbo-1226055204750
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:56 am

Most of you would have heard the news already but its pretty huge.

A few excerpts from the press conference earlier:

"I wouldn't be as happy if I stayed. This will make me happy" - Will Hopoate
"I'd love to come back and play. I'm concentrating on putting in my best for this season" - Will
"Not something I have to do, it's something that I want to do" - Will
"At the end of the day the decision was left up to me" - Will
"To walk away from the money goes to show what type of kid he is" - John Hopoate

John was saying the money he was getting offered by Parra, Manly and the Dogs was massive.

Good on him for following his faith and good luck to him
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 6:33 am

All Mormons have to do it before turning 26 or something

He's not the first though. I remember Titans former winger Jordan Rapana embarking on his Mormon journey. And broncos second rower Setu Lagi too.

Israel Falou is yet to do his.

The good news is that it's only temporary. Setu's coming back probably next year after his 2 year stint.
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 6:59 am

Jordan Rapana is back now I think? Pretty sure he left at the end of 08.

Fraser Anderson did it before he joined the Broncos as well. Wills uncle Albert also did it
Back to top Go down
SUGEKNIGHT
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 7:10 am

Yeah you're right about Rapana. He's back next week or so. Here's link

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/missionary-man-rapana-set-for-titans-comeback-20110507-1ed6r.html

I always saw him as a winger with a superstar potential. Those amazing Israel-Falou-type catches on his debut was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:04 am

5 first grade games, 5 tries. 2008 NYC team of the year as well
Back to top Go down
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Good on him and I wish him the best of luck. It's not easy for a teenager to reject million dollar offers just to follow their faith and beliefs. This step really shows what type of character Will possesses.
Back to top Go down
Tanswell87
Guru
Tanswell87

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Good on the kid, Gotta do what makes you happy.
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm

SUGEKNIGHT wrote:
All Mormons have to do it before turning 26 or something

He's not the first though. I remember Titans former winger Jordan Rapana embarking on his Mormon journey. And broncos second rower Setu Lagi too.

Israel Falou is yet to do his.

The good news is that it's only temporary. Setu's coming back probably next year after his 2 year stint.

Not compulsory at all.
Good on him for making the choice, you can be sure it wasn't easy to turn his back on the rugby career.

Any relation to Albert Hopoate? Was also a promising rugby player before going on the mission. I shared a dorm room with Albert (who also happened to be second cousin of my best friend) for three weeks in the Missionary Training Centre in New Zealand back in July 2005. Extremely funny bloke.
Back to top Go down
panthersftw
Guru
panthersftw

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Will is cousins with Albert. Unluckily for Albert, he was really never to cement a first grade spot again for the Roosters I believe? after his mormon mission.
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Roosters sounds right to me too. That's South Sydney? I'm not sure. Albert is now happily married with one kid (or two?) and another on the way, I believe.
Back to top Go down
Brad
Guru

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Albert is Johns brother, so Wills uncle.

And yeah he played for the Sydney Roosters. Never got a First Grade crack though I dont think. Id always see his name in the Newtown Jets team lists.
Back to top Go down
CHORUS
Guru
CHORUS

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Yah John is his brother. Had never heard of Will. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
manly4lyf
Guru
manly4lyf

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Pretty big decision to make and good on William for choosing the 2 year stint over a ton of money.
Hopefully he can join us at the end of his mission
Back to top Go down
All_Star94
Guru
All_Star94

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Good on him. He will no doubt return to the NRL after his mormon mission. Manly would be desperate to get him back.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:37 pm

People are strange ........great Doors song that one
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Bloody Mormons! Mad
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:36 pm

CHORUS wrote:
Roosters sounds right to me too. That's South Sydney? I'm not sure. Albert is now happily married with one kid (or two?) and another on the way, I believe.

Woah!!!!
Roosters wish they were South Sydney, instead they are just scumbags from the eastern suburbs. And they will be forever hated by everyone with a modicum of common decency..

Last edited by RED&GREEN4EVA on Fri May 13, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RED&GREEN4EVA
Guru
RED&GREEN4EVA

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Megadeecee wrote:

Speaking of strange people Mega, have you met the resident nutter midnight Tinklerbell? He's a black belt in tiramisu or something...
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:20 pm

haha no ...i'm off to search the meaning
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:21 pm

haha a kick arse chef
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 10:30 pm

as long as he doesm't knock on my door with his spiel he can do what he wants, how serious are these mormons...does this mean stink fingers is a mormon too if so geez what a shady bunch....
Back to top Go down
keno
Guru
keno

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 12:11 am

if he can knock back millions of dollars to follow his faith and beliefs, his head is definitely in the right place. he's a loyal kid, and definitely a talent.
best of luck to him, when he returns he'll be a prize signature
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 4:33 am

RED&GREEN4EVA wrote:
CHORUS wrote:

Woah!!!!
Roosters wish they were South Sydney, instead they are just scumbags from the eastern suburbs. And they will be forever hated by everyone with a modicum of common decency..

Nah Roosters have class, the rabbitohs are like the poor banjo strummin cousins from the south, who u wish wudn visit at Christmas.
Back to top Go down
The Midnight Tinkler
Veteran
The Midnight Tinkler

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 4:36 am

RED&GREEN4EVA wrote:
Megadeecee wrote:

Speaking of strange people Mega, have you met the resident nutter midnight Tinklerbell? He's a black belt in tiramisu or something...

Karate 3rd Dan Black belt Mad come at me rooster raper, I'll show u a new meaning of pain, I'm the champ so hard u cant kill me with an axe Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Will Hopoate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will Hopoate   Will Hopoate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will Hopoate
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: League-
Jump to:  
Forum free | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com