Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Saffa's introspect

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mania
Professional
mania

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:03 am

http://www.keo.co.za/2011/10/10/bok-rugby-will-gain-from-pain/

nice article from Keo. hurting big time and Saffa's are where NZ were 4 years ago. ironic that only now do southAfrica understand the pain we went through and sympathise with us when we're over it and looking forward.

article doesnt mention the mccalistair send off but you get the picture
Back to top Go down
SBW
Guru
SBW

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 am

To be fair though the odds in this game were locked at $1.87 each up untill the day of the game. I think they ended up being $1.70 Australia, $2.05 South Africa. This wasn't an upset in any sense of the word. I think this pales in comparison to the pain felt by NZ'ers 4 years ago at the hands of France.

Nicely written article though. And I guess the retirement of Smit, Matfield and PDV makes it additionally significant.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 1:58 am

Odds schmodds - going on WC form the Wallabies should've been thumped. SA nearly tripped against Wales and struggled past Samoa, yes, but it all looked like momentum was building - meanwhile Aus were pretty well humiliated by Ireland and only really looked good when running rampant against weaker teams in the pool - their form in Brisbane looked a long time ago; rather than the uphill chugging of the boks, the Wallabies looked like they were tripping and stumbling to the line like QWOP.

Very different circumstances though - more implosion from the team rather than the ref; but similar selection gaffs (theirs in the forwards while Henry's were in the backs). Really - the only reason there's not even MORE outrage is that it was against Aus instead of a team like Wales or France or England or whoever. Going out to Aus in itself is not nearly such a cause for beatup - but the way they lost was horrendous. The NZ 2007 team's only real on-field blunder was failure to properly try for a drop-goal (though I think they should've used the backs far more...but hey Smile) while the Saffas were just woeful and they can't blame the ref for their failures.

So to sum up - I have no idea of my point and am getting back to work! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Beckham
Beckham

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 am

I used to be shit scared of the boks, at the time Habana was running riot (not the player he once was) etc. they were a very dangerous side but we've had the wood over them of late and beating them a few times on their own turf really erased any fears. No doubt they'll be back, the likes of Lambie and Hougaard are quality, i personally think Lambie will be the best player in the world at some point in his career. PDV didn't retire but i do think they need a fresh start, i know they are a big physical side but they need to be more expansive at times. I was always confident we were going to beat them this isn't anything like the ABS case imo.

XOXO
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:14 pm

doubt the boks will expand their game. they'll try but will (as always) revert to form. they cant help it. its not the springboks fault its the nations starting at grass roots. you have to play expansively when your young, and be surrounded by like minded players that are willing to push the boundaries. by the time you reach the teens your pretty much set in your ways.
saying that i like southAfrica's style. if they can maiintain their style and keep kids playing then good on them. this is the beauty of rugby where different tactics done well can win the day and diversity is the key to survival.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saffa's introspect Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saffa's introspect   Saffa's introspect Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saffa's introspect
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com