Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

S15 'Power' Round

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hermithead
Rookie
hermithead

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 pm

Hows this for an idea?

Once the S14 is expanded to S15 or S16 and the conference system is set up how about half way through the season they play a 'Power' round. Similar to AFLs Rivalry round except teams will play each other based on their current position on the table. For instance: 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, 5th v 6th right down to 14th v 15th etc

Not only would this act as a pseudo-final series boosting spectator interest mid-season but it would provide the lower teams who may have been playing consecutive matches against the top ranked teams to challenge the side directly above them providing them with an easier shot at winning 4 points.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Beers?
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Only real concern is time - the competition takes too long as it is, expanding will make it take longer, this would just add to that time even further.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:57 am

i hope they bring an argentinian and pacific island team in
Back to top Go down
hermithead
Rookie
hermithead

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Pantherus wrote:
Only real concern is time - the competition takes too long as it is, expanding will make it take longer, this would just add to that time even further.

Id say the current comp is still too short only running for 15 weeks. With the expanded S15 where teams will play each team in their conference twice and international teams once this combined with the 6 team finals system will work out to a 22 week (possibly 23 with a bye) comp. S14 will finally be on par with the AFL, NRL. So throwing one more week into the fray shouldn't matter so much. The main problem will be logistics. For instance a SA team on tour in NZ cant be expected to fly back to SA and play a match half way through their tour and vice versa. The only way around this is to play the Power round before the last conference matches which would be round 16.
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Its only to short if your an ausi (no offence) but in New Zealand we have super 14 feb-may Internationals june - aug and NPC July - October and then the northern hempisphere tour in november -dec

So theres no tmuch time left over for our players to expand the super14.

In south africa it is similar except the have the currie cup instead of our NPC.

What i would like to see is the top 5 teams from the NPC play in the super 14 the following year imagine that Hawkes bay in the super 14 and not Auckland.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 pm

I just hope they don't add more teams from the current locales (i.e another Oz team, or another NZ team) because they'll just dilute the player pools - especially Oz (no offence meant to you guys, but you don't exactly have a lot of depth). I agree with KK though, PI or Argentina teams would be great - and improve professional Rugby in their parts of the world.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
hermithead
Rookie
hermithead

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 1:20 pm

kiwikid33 wrote:
Its only to short if your an ausi (no offence) but in New Zealand we have super 14 feb-may Internationals june - aug and NPC July - October and then the northern hempisphere tour in november -dec

So theres no tmuch time left over for our players to expand the super14.

In south africa it is similar except the have the currie cup instead of our NPC.

What i would like to see is the top 5 teams from the NPC play in the super 14 the following year imagine that Hawkes bay in the super 14 and not Auckland.

The issue of the S14 encroaching on the ANZC and CC was voiced by NZ and SA when John O'Neil first proposed expansion (12 or more months ago) but once NZ/SA realised how much revenue they would would be forfeiting if it didnt go ahead their reservations disappeared pretty quickly. Money talks I guess!

Hawkes bay in the S14 is never going to happen unless one of the existing franchises relocates there. S14 is a franchise system which in simple terms means the franchises look for the biggest "rugby" markets they can find so in NZ case its the 5 largest cities - give or take Hamilton. However Hawkes Bay would of had a chance during the S10s and S6s when qualification for Super rugby was based on the top 3 or 4 ranked NZ sides from the NPC but now with the franchise system being so entrenched I dont think that will be happening. Still a team like the Highlanders or Blues could play some home games at HBs stadium.

Anyway we are getting off the track a bit lol Any thoughts on the logistics of having a power round? or any other ideas for rounds?
Back to top Go down
NBrown#16
Veteran
NBrown#16

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 2:21 pm

I think it would be a good idea but agree with what KK is saying about the calender being too long already. I reckon there would be a few star players who wouldn't be pleased. But the series need something as the cashed up European clubs are ruining it by luring players to play the boring crash and bash shit they call rugby
Back to top Go down
hermithead
Rookie
hermithead

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

ARU boss John O'Neill eyes expansion to Super 15 format in 2011

"....the one in favour at the moment is a Super 15 competition, going from March 1 to the beginning of August, everyone playing each other once and then each of the teams playing in their conferences..."

"That gets you to 23 or 24 weeks and that's still a very attractive offer as long as we are rewarded for it..."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25003622-5002381,00.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

S15 'Power' Round Empty
PostSubject: Re: S15 'Power' Round   S15 'Power' Round Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

S15 'Power' Round
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com