Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Sonny shines in France

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Sonny shines in France Empty
PostSubject: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:36 am

FORMER NRL star Sonny Bill Williams has finally made a mark in French rugby, playing a starring role in Toulon's 38-22 win over bottom-of-the-table Mont-de-Marsan.

With Toulon coach and New Zealand rugby legend Tana Umaga delaying his playing comeback, Williams delivered on his much-hyped billing by scoring one try and setting up another in the battle between the Top 14 relegation candidates.

Playing at left centre, Williams, who made a bitter and controversial switch to union from rugby league last year, ran half the length of the field in the 48th minute to score his team's third try before setting-up Martin Jagr with a superb reverse pass.

Umaga, who had been tipped to make a playing return after 18 months out of the game in an effort to help preserve the big-spending French team's top flight status, stayed in the stands.
Jagr finished with a double as did New Zealand winger Sinoti Sinoti.

Toulon trailed 19-13 at half-time against the only side below them on the ladder, and they played large parts of the opening period with 14 men after former Australia half-back Matthew Henjak and Ross Skeate had been sin-binned.

Toulon had not won a league match since beating Biarritz 10-5 in November.

"Tonight we had cohesion, togetherness and we saw players like Sonny Bill Williams expressing themselves 100 per cent," Toulon assistant coach Aubin Hueber said.

The victory came just four days after former France winger and current Sale coach Philippe Saint-Andre was named as the club's sporting director for next season

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24988113-23217,00.html
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 am

Good to hear, I hope this form continues I would love to see him in an All Black jersey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:52 am

"playing at left centre"

Haha what
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 am

i agree with you hendo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 12:19 pm

would love to see him line up against the aussies and get dropped by mortlock =].. not saying it would happen but would love to see it lol...

is centre his position??
Back to top Go down
ravenloon
Trainee
ravenloon

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 1:27 pm

I thought Orene Ai'i and Pisi were far and away the stars of the game, sublime passing and running.
SBW is still finding his feet. He made one good cut though which ended up in his try. But he still lacks a bit of confidence and his cautiousness is whats holding him back.
He's playing like hes thinking "retention of the ball is the most important thing", rather than " the most important thing is scoring the try".
Still, he has awesome potential, he just has to conquer his mindset before it gets on top of him.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 am

Check out the way Sonny hits the gap for his try.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3e4E4ryFA
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Tht was a good vid 40/20
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:15 pm

Well done with the vid 40/20. SBW still has alot to prove in union but i look forward to seeing him progress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Keep it up Sonny!!! Good game
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:41 pm

By all accunts the rest of his game was pretty average, but the sight of him striding out like that was a timely reminder of what a talent he is.

I was a little suprised at the gas he showed too. Only saw him stretch out like that once before in the NRL, against the Tigers last year.

But to really fulfill his potential he needs to come home and play NPC & S14 in my opinion. Hope he decides to do it soon.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I agree wit you there 40/20 he should come to NZ as soon as possible!
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:49 pm

yeah sbw has got along way to go but with his potential the NZRU has to invest some time into him. I'm hoping his body can handle it. union rucks and mauls have a lot more physical impact than league
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 11:23 pm

Yea, i hope he doesnt get injured!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sonny shines in France   Sonny shines in France Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sonny shines in France
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com