Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Gopperth Blues starting number 10?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Empty
PostSubject: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Blues 45
Highlanders 34

Jimmy Gopperth set up a try and scored two in a 25-minute cameo against the Highlanders yesterday to press his claims for the Blues' No 10 jersey.
Gopperth, the North Harbour captain, looked in fine fettle as the Blues overcame a 27-12 halftime deficit to beat the Highlanders in scorching conditions at North Harbour Stadium.
Coach Pat Lam was non-committal about whether Gopperth or Tasesa Lavea, who was less convincing in his 55-minute outing, has the inside running for the starting job.
Unsurprisingly, then, Gopperth said he didn't know where he stood.
"I don't know how it's looking but every time I get an opportunity I've got to take it," he said.
With their campaign to kick-off in Perth next Friday, followed by a two-match tour of South Africa, the Blues are conscious of countering the extreme heat they are likely to encounter. As part of their preparations, players had been training in double clothing, Lam said.
The toll the conditions are expected to take should see both Lavea and Gopperth get plenty of game time and, given Gopperth's effectiveness off the bench yesterday, it would be no surprise if he were to continue in that role.
"I really enjoy the heat," he said.
"It shows that our conditioning in the off-season paid off. The boys still had a bit left in the tank at the end, which is good."
Skipper Keven Mealamu, who yesterday signed a contract extension with the NZRU that will take him through to 2011 World Cup, was happy with his side's performance in a match he felt was close to genuine Super 14 intensity.
"They really came at us hard in the first half and when we got back into the changing room we just needed to take a deep breath," he said after first-half tries to Jimmy Cowan, Jason Shoemark, Steven Setephano and Alando Soaki gave the Highlanders a healthy lead. Benson Stanley and Joe Rokocoko crossed for the Blues in the first half and Rokocoko's second and a try to John Afoa cut the gap shortly into the second.
Gopperth then came from the bench to send over fullback Paul Williams with his first touch. A try to the impressive Clint Newland put the Highlanders back in front but Gopperth then finished a neat Benson Stanley line-break, before pouncing on an errant lineout throw and running 38m to seal the result.
"With the pressure they were putting on us we were forced into making some mistakes but in the second half we got a little bit of control and used the wind a bit better," Mealamu said.
Both sides named close to their strongest teams, with Lam opting for Isaia Toeava at centre and Anthony Tuitavake on the wing, with Williams getting the nod at fullback.
With the Williams brothers Ali and Jay both on the injured list, the forward line-up was predictable enough. Kurtis Haiu and Anthony Boric locked the scrum behind the front row of Tony Woodcock, Mealamu and Afoa.
Jerome Kaino started on the blindside but his level of participation on the season-opening tour will be determined by when his partner gives birth. Halfback Taniela Moa and Rokocoko could also miss chunks of the tour for the same reason.
There was encouraging news on the injury front, with Ali Williams' back injury improving to the point where he will be considered for the touring party and Jay Williams' ankle injury also making steady progress.

Source: NZ Herald
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

ThatsGood for Jimmy gopperth! i think he should stay with the blues!
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:32 pm

yeah i dont mind him probably better than lavea anyway
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Yea, Lavea is at the chiefs tho isnt he? or did he move agian
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:37 pm

yeah he moved again hes at the blues.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 11:44 pm

Ohhk then looks like hes gona have to sit on the bench.
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:04 am

Can we just get rid of Lavea all together? Can Stanley play consistent at 10? I think Gopperth has his hands on the 10 jersey just hope they all play to there potential.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 am

Blues Backline 09

9. Moa
10. Gopperth
11. Rocokoco
12. Stanley
13. Tuitavake
14. Ranger
15. Toeava
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:24 am

Gopperth is quality, wish he was still with the canes
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:32 am

I rate Ripia higher than Gopperth so i dont think well miss him too much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:34 am

i rate quade cooper better then both lol up the reds!!!
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 am

Yea same, Quade cooper is prob my fav australian player!
Back to top Go down
pedwintheking
Guru
pedwintheking

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 am

samthaman15 wrote:
Blues Backline 09

9. Moa
10. Gopperth
11. Rocokoco
12. Stanley
13. Tuitavake
14. Ranger
15. Toeava

Paul Williams will be starting:

9. Moa
10. Gopperth/Lavea
11. Rocokoco
12. Stanley
13. Tuitavake/Toeava
14. Wulf/Ranger
15. Williams
Back to top Go down
http://www.bringvictory.com
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:58 am

I dont think he will cause Toeava and Rocockoco are allblacks and will be in 09 and i thnk that Ranger has a shot at the ABs this year 2 ahead of wiiliams IMO
Back to top Go down
pedwintheking
Guru
pedwintheking

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:00 am

samthaman15 wrote:
I dont think he will cause Toeava and Rocockoco are allblacks and will be in 09 and i thnk that Ranger has a shot at the ABs this year 2 ahead of wiiliams IMO

Williams has been their best player in the pre-season, I don't think he would come up to Auckland to be on the bench. Last Year he led the league in Line-Breaks ahead of people such as Nonu. So he will be starting. Very Happy , Hey why don't we put a bet on it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bringvictory.com
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 am

pedwintheking wrote:
samthaman15 wrote:

Williams has been their best player in the pre-season, I don't think he would come up to Auckland to be on the bench. Last Year he led the league in Line-Breaks ahead of people such as Nonu. So he will be starting. Very Happy , Hey why don't we put a bet on it?

haah well when you put it like that i agree wiith you lol

Toeava to 2nd 5 williams fullback, benson stanley bench
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 am

My pick for blues backline is:

9. Moa
10. Gopperth
11. Rokocoko
12. Stanley
13. Toeava
14. Tuitavake
15. Williams

Tough for Ranger but he'll be pushing his way in all over the place I'm sure. There's also the possibility that either of Toeava or Tuitavake could play at 12 instead of Stanley and make room for Ranger. Funny how none of us are picking Wulf anywhere here - even if he were fit Smile
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:22 am

Pantherus wrote:
My pick for blues backline is:

9. Moa
10. Gopperth
11. Rokocoko
12. Stanley
13. Toeava
14. Tuitavake
15. Williams

Tough for Ranger but he'll be pushing his way in all over the place I'm sure. There's also the possibility that either of Toeava or Tuitavake could play at 12 instead of Stanley and make room for Ranger. Funny how none of us are picking Wulf anywhere here - even if he were fit Smile

Yea i still think wulf is good though, he should go to canterbury or otago haha
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am

Nah - Wulf's overrated. He's like Holwell - a good Super player but would be way out of his depth (and was) on the international scene.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 am

Pantherus wrote:
Nah - Wulf's overrated. He's like Holwell - a good Super player but would be way out of his depth (and was) on the international scene.

I didnt think he was too bad, i reckon he would be a good center haha
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 1:15 am

Wulf is a lot like Howlett was, but without that extra oomph that Howlett had. It's not so much that Wulf is bad, but there are just lots who are better...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gopperth Blues starting number 10?   Gopperth Blues starting number 10? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gopperth Blues starting number 10?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com