Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Official MLB Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 am

for the most part of the season the bull pen and middle relief have been what held the red sox together and got them into the playoffs, sure they had a few wobbles post the all star break but they still did well. papelbon has been walking this tight rope all season though. comes in, loads the bases or puts a couple men on, then strikes out the last one or two to get out of it. that is why his ERA and saves numbers were still relatively impressive, but it was bound to blow up in his face sooner or late. just a shame it happened when they needed him most.
the starting pitching is shaping up ok for next season, providing dice-k comes back in shape which is sounds as if he has no option but to. beckett, lester, bucholz, matsuzaka is a solid top 4 in the rotation. as for 5? depends whether wakefield comes back, whether he can stay injury free if he can. i would personally like to see papelbon traded for a solid number 3ish starter. just someone we can depend on to put up innings throughout the year.
also i would love for the team to bring back alex gonzalez, his defense is just amazing and while hes no star with the bat, he lifted his game since coming over from the reds mid season.
bringing back jason bay is a must. no nonesense player who just goes out there and gets it done. it would kill me if he wound up with the yankees next year!!
gota raise a question over mike lowell at 3rd base, while he swung the bat ok, he is just so slow around the bases and has lost alot of lateral movement defensively that while he has great hands, just might not be able to cut off enough balls to make him viable there at 3rd
Back to top Go down
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 1:15 am

in saying that im definately not putting the blame for the series loss on papelbon. i have been thinking he may be on his way out for awhile. its the bats that didnt show up. some production from the DH in the clutch would be nice.
Back to top Go down
braddo7
Rookie
braddo7

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am

willyhbhs wrote:
in saying that im definately not putting the blame for the series loss on papelbon. i have been thinking he may be on his way out for awhile. its the bats that didnt show up. some production from the DH in the clutch would be nice.

Agreed - especially about J-Bay
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Go the Angels Smile

I went to a game the other week in america .

Angels vs Texas
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:19 pm

The Phillies smashed the Dodgers 11-0 yesterday to take a 2-1 NLCS lead. Cliff Lee pitched 8 innings with 10K and no walks. The next two games are in Philadelphia as well so the Phillies are looking very good.

In the ALCS, Game 3 is this morning. It's a very big game for the Angels as they're 2-0 down, I think they'll win today.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:48 am

ALCS: Angels 5-4 Yankees - 11 Innings

Yankees lead Series 2-1

A huge win for the Angels, coming back from 3-0 down to win it in extra Innings. I still think if the Yankees can win one of the next two games in LA, then they'll take the Series.

NLCS: Phillies 5-4 Dodgers

Phillies lead Series 3-1

A 2 run double in the bottom of the 9th Inning from Jimmy Rollins was enough for the Phillies to sneak a 5-4 win over the Dodgers, and take a 3-1 lead with Game 5 in Philadelphia. The Phillies were very lucky to win this afternoon, and really, that should send them to the World Series.
Back to top Go down
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:43 am

yea looks to be a east coast world series on the cards here. both teams from LA falling just short at final hurdle
Back to top Go down
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:44 am

cliff lee vs CC sabathia would be a pretty epic battle come world series time as a battle of two number ones
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:03 am

willyhbhs wrote:
cliff lee vs CC sabathia would be a pretty epic battle come world series time as a battle of two number ones

Yeah that'd be intense.

Col Hamels vs. A.J. Burnett wouldn't be too bad either.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:25 pm

ALCS: Game 6 - Angels @ Yankees

You'd think the Yankees at home should get it done.

Andy Pettitte has the most Series clinching wins in MLB Playoff history with 15 and is pitching for the Yankees.

They're predicting rain though, so if the game is on the day after, Sabathia would pitch anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 8:54 am

Game 6 was washed out this morning so is rescheduled for tomorrow morning, although rain is forecast the next few days in New York.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 am

Game 6 pitchers will be the same, Pettitte for the Yankees and Saunders for the Angels.

If it goes to a Game 7, according to ESPN, Lackey could become available for the Angels which would be huge for them.

Hopefully the rain stays away.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Yankees through to the World Series after beating the Angels 5-2 today.

It was an epic game really, with Scott Kazmir's shocking throw to 1st base costing them two runs when the Angels were down 3-2.

A Phillies vs. Yankees World Series should be great, I'm going the Yankees in 6.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:04 am

Game 1 gets underway in about an hours time from New York.

Im hoping the Phillies can get back-to-back World Series wins but i think the Yankees will get up. Should be a good series though, Yankees in 7 i think
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Well the Phillies won 6-1...Chase Utley with 2 homers plus Cliff Lees lethal pitching made the difference. CC Sabathia wasnt all that bad but he was just off his game enough that the Phillies batters (Utley especially) could take advantage.

Game 2 tomorrow, same time. Looking for the Yankees to bounce back big time here and I think theyll pick up the win.
Two questions though not really being a huge Baseball follower...how come the commentators were sounding in awe of Sabathia maybe following up on Sunday in Game 4? Is a 3 day break not long enough for a pitcher or something lol? Also why did we need a mid inning break (7th i think) for some lady to sing a song? is that normal practice? Laughing
Back to top Go down
willyhbhs
Veteran
willyhbhs

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 pm

its called the 7th inning stretch, normally some sort of extended break or song. in terms of starting pitchers, they generally have a 5 man starting rotation during the season so they pitch every 5th day for the most part to allow their arm to recover. relievers can normally pitch back to back days as they tend to throw under 20 or so pitches thus arm fatigue not so much an issue. lee will struggle to be back by game 4, he threw upwards of 120 pitches, a season high for him, so coming back on that little rest could be a push. i expect to see blanton or happ in game 4 against CC who will be able to bounce back a bit easier after a lesser role in yesterdays game and has a history of pitching on short rest (the brewers rode that last year down the stretch into playoffs)
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 5:25 am

ahhh yep ok, cheers for that Smile

Yankees have won Game 2 3-1. Much better performance by them today
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 4:05 am

a_F_c wrote:
Well the Phillies won 6-1...Chase Utley with 2 homers plus Cliff Lees lethal pitching made the difference. CC Sabathia wasnt all that bad but he was just off his game enough that the Phillies batters (Utley especially) could take advantage.

Game 2 tomorrow, same time. Looking for the Yankees to bounce back big time here and I think theyll pick up the win.
Two questions though not really being a huge Baseball follower...how come the commentators were sounding in awe of Sabathia maybe following up on Sunday in Game 4? Is a 3 day break not long enough for a pitcher or something lol? Also why did we need a mid inning break (7th i think) for some lady to sing a song? is that normal practice? Laughing

Yeah they sing the national anthem again I'm pretty sure. They do it in every single MLB game throughout the season.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 am

World Series Game 3: Phillies 5-8 Yankees

Andy Pettitte put in a solid performance, and the Yankees have avenged for the Game 1 loss at home by taking the first game in Philadelphia. Always had the feeling Andy would come up trumps today, he's an absolute gem. Looking forward to Game 4 tomorrow, I think the Yankees might win again.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 6:49 am

World Series Game 4: Phillies 4-7 Yankees

Yankees take a 3-1 lead over the Phillies thanks to breaking the 4-4 tie in the 9th Inning thanks to RBI's from Alex Rodriguez and Jorge Posada.

Game 5 will be Cliff Lee vs. A.J. Burnett. That should be a great match-up. I do think the Series is just about over though, the Phillies should have gone with Lee today.
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:06 am

Who'd a thunk it, A-Rod coming up clutch with 2 outs at the top the 9th with the scores tied...

Yankees should rap it up in 6..

I expect Phili to come back in game 5 with Cliff Lee pitching...

----
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:15 am

Svoerman wrote:
Who'd a thunk it, A-Rod coming up clutch with 2 outs at the top the 9th with the scores tied...

----

I'm not sure who you take him for. To me, he's probably the greatest hitter I've ever seen play. On Game 5, I do think the Phillies will have the edge, but I am still stunned Lee didn't pitch today. Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel said in the post-game press conference he wouldn't have changed his mind even if Lee was desperate to pitch in Game 4 and would have stuck with Blanton.
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:23 am

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Svoerman wrote:

----

I'm not sure who you take him for. To me, he's probably the greatest hitter I've ever seen play. On Game 5, I do think the Phillies will have the edge, but I am still stunned Lee didn't pitch today. Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel said in the post-game press conference he wouldn't have changed his mind even if Lee was desperate to pitch in Game 4 and would have stuck with Blanton.

to be fair....before this season he hasn't had the best record in the post season
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:41 am

Svoerman wrote:
to be fair....before this season he hasn't had the best record in the post season

True, but remember good pitching beats good hitting. It'll always be that way too.
Back to top Go down
Svoerman
Guru
Svoerman

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 11:54 am

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Svoerman wrote:

True, but remember good pitching beats good hitting. It'll always be that way too.

true
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official MLB Thread   Official MLB Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official MLB Thread
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com