Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:46 am

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/news/general/brumbies-get-gits-back/1440197.aspx?storypage=0

Matt Giteau is coming home to a team and a city he was heartbroken to leave.

The Wallabies flyhalf has agreed to terms with the ACT Brumbies and will return to Canberra in 2010.

The Western Force is expected to announce today its star player's decision to leave Perth after three Super 14 seasons.

It is believed the Australian Rugby Union has been informed of Giteau's decision and asked to formally approve the move.

Giteau will play out the 2009 season with the Force before taking up what is understood to be a two-year deal for 2010 and 2011.

He is already contracted with the Wallabies until 2011, when he is due to play in his third World Cup.

Giteau's confirmation that he is returning to the Brumbies is the hammerblow the Force has been bracing for. It comes a week before the Force arrives in Canberra to play the Brumbies.

The newest Australian provincial team finished last in its first season in 2006 before completing a massive coup by securing Giteau's signature.

Since his arrival, the Force has steadily improved, finishing seventh in 2007 and eighth in 2008 with Giteau in the playmaker role.

A hugely marketable player, Giteau has also been a key to its off-field operations and their development of a large membership base.

The Brumbies were devastated to lose Giteau in 2006, but the players and the club have maintained a good relationship with him. They accepted that the $1.5million-a-year offer he reportedly received from Perth much of which came from third-party sponsors was an offer too good to refuse.

When he signed with the Force, Giteau spoke of his personal conflict in leaving the team he had grown up supporting. ''I've been here all my life and I love the Canberra community, love the Brumbies and things like that, so obviously it's been the toughest decision of my life,'' Giteau said in April 2006.

While Giteau has said for the past three years he enjoys his lifestyle in Perth and the company of his teammates, the financial failure of his major third-party sponsor, Firepower which left him owed hundreds of thousands of dollars has soured his experience.

For the past year there has been speculation he wanted to leave Perth and return to Canberra. It is believed his management tried to secure an early exit to allow him to join the Brumbies before this season.

A key to the Brumbies securing his return has been the support of several Canberra businesses, who are believed to have agreed with Giteau's management to provide third-party support of about $400,000.

Giteau's return will be a huge boost to the Brumbies on and off the field.

As a local product he is widely admired in the Canberra community and is one of world rugby's most marketable players.

Giteau is also considered one of the two premier flyhalves in the world, along with All Blacks No10 Daniel Carter. or the past year there has been speculation he wanted to leave Perth and return to Canberra. It is believed his management tried to secure an early exit to allow him to join the Brumbies before this season.

A key to the Brumbies securing his return has been the support of several Canberra businesses, who are believed to have agreed with Giteau's management to provide third-party support of about $400,000.

As a local product he is widely admired in the Canberra community and is one of world rugby's most marketable players.

Giteau is also considered one of the two premier flyhalves in the world, along with All Blacks No10 Daniel Carter.

For the past year there has been speculation he wanted to leave Perth and return to Canberra. It is believed his management tried to secure an early exit to allow him to join the Brumbies before this season.

Giteau is also considered one of the two premier flyhalves in the world, along with All Blacks No10 Daniel Carter.

Last edited by Ford Champion on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:48 am

I hope he stays at the force he has a real good combination with ocononor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:07 am

yay my fav player back at my fav club Smile
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 am

"heartbroken to leave" yeah right - he had no qualms chasing the money elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:05 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:07 am

might play in the centres because lealiifano isnt the worst option at fly
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:13 am

yea 2nd 5 maybe!
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:52 am

10. lealifano
11. rathbone
12 giteau
13. mortlock
14. gerrard
15. aac
Back to top Go down
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:53 am

Pantherus wrote:
10. lealifano
11. rathbone
12 giteau
13. mortlock
14. gerrard
15. aac

Awesome backline!

Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 am

I dont like aac at fullback tho all he does is kick EVERY time he gets the ball
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:29 am

samthaman15 wrote:
I dont like aac at fullback tho all he does is kick EVERY time he gets the ball

yeh i agree he is definately a better centre than fullback.. however when giteau is back there is no room and i would rather him at 15 then wing..
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:48 am

Yea tru that, how much longer do you thnk mortlock will be around for ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 5:51 am

hes 31 id say atleast 3 but alot can happen in a short space of time eg. injuries so just wait and see i guess
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't like AAC period, but he's a solid enough Fullback until they find a better wing or fullback to fill in.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 12:26 am

Why dont you like him pantherus, hes good a center he such a strong runner with the ball
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 pm

This is from rugby365 it looks like it was his dislike of mitchell that forced him to leave.

The relationship between Western Force coach John Mitchell and ace flyhalf Matt Giteau played a key role in the player's decision to leave the Perth-based Super 14 team at the end of the 2009 Super 14 season.
Rugby WA chairman Geoff Stooke revealed that there remained 'issues' with Mitchell and that Giteau has lost faith in the organisation
A last-ditch bid was made to keep the 65 Test-veteran at the Force but a AUS $1.6million third-party offer from a syndicate led by a major sponsor, ET Mining's Ross Graham, was unsuccessful.
"It was a very generous offer. It was good but it was probably a little late," Giteau told the Sunday Telegraph.
"If it was about money, I would have stayed here," Giteau said. "Promises [were] made and weren't obviously kept because of certain things. I feel proud of myself that I've honoured my contract."
"The fact I was looking to re-negotiate to stay on longer shows how much I do like Perth and love playing with the boys.
"We've all got to make decisions. I've made mine. Hopefully it's the right one and I look forward to finishing off what will be hopefully the Force's best year."
Stooke was not surprised by Giteau's decision but was not clear on the reasons and the demise of his third-party deal was not the sole reason for Giteau quitting the Force.
While Giteau did not lead a reported player revolt against Mitchell in September, he has had concerns about the coach's temperament.
Giteau is said to have great respect for Mitchell's tactical mind, but has doubts about the former All Blacks coach's man-management skills.
Back to top Go down
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:29 pm

Yeah look's like the Mitchell saga played a part in it. If he was after the money he would of stayed with the Force.

Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

samthaman15 wrote:
Why dont you like him pantherus, hes good a center he such a strong runner with the ball

He's average at best - but gets credit for the work of others. There's nothing spectacular about him, and he thinks he's the man.
Back to top Go down
DaneSwan#36
Legend
DaneSwan#36

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:31 am

Panthers wrote:
Yeah look's like the Mitchell saga played a part in it. If he was after the money he would of stayed with the Force.

x2
Back to top Go down
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-109-0-0-0
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010   Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Matt Giteau coming back to the Brumbies in 2010
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com