Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

ABs Backup to Carter

Go down 

Who would you pick as the ABs 1st 5 in Carter's absence?
Stephen Donald
ABs Backup to Carter Vote_lcap0%ABs Backup to Carter Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Stephen Brett
 0% [ 0 ]
Colin Slade
 0% [ 0 ]
Piri Weepu
ABs Backup to Carter Vote_lcap38%ABs Backup to Carter Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
Daniel Bowden
ABs Backup to Carter Vote_lcap13%ABs Backup to Carter Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Jimmy Gopperth
ABs Backup to Carter Vote_lcap25%ABs Backup to Carter Vote_rcap
 25% [ 2 ]
Luke McAlister
ABs Backup to Carter Vote_lcap24%ABs Backup to Carter Vote_rcap
 24% [ 2 ]
Someone Else
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

ABs Backup to Carter Empty
PostSubject: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 am

From RugbyHeaven.co.nz
Dan Carter's rehabilitation is pleasing the All Blacks medical staff and management although coach Graham Henry admits the depth of talent to fill in at No 10 "is an issue" as is cover at second five-eighths.

Those two positions are occupying the selectors' minds most as they delve into the opening phase of the Super 14.

Carter, of course, is sidelined with an Achilles injury suffered while playing for his Perpignan club in France.

All Blacks doctor Deb Robinson provided a promising update on the superstar's rehab, saying it was on course.

Carter is almost three weeks into post-surgery and was starting to be allowed to do general stretching. He would continue wearing a moon boot for a further five weeks before being allowed to handle any full weight-bearing exercises.

She had had good communication with Carter and the French medical staff.

"He is in good spirits and it's all going well," said Robinson, adding that Carter was receiving plenty of day to day care.

"We have been really pleased with the services offered in France."

No decision had been made on his return to New Zealand. That would be made with medical, contractural and personal matters all being considered.

Dr Robinson said that all going well, she envisaged Carter playing "some rugby some time after a six months period" but at what level was another matter.

Henry has had personal contact with Carter as he monitors things from a distance.

"I've chatted to him on the phone and sent him a couple of texts. I think he's been getting a lot of contact from rugby people here and he seems in good spirits," said the All Blacks coach.

"Obviously he is a concern. He is a very important player in this country and we have to try to make sure that the best is done for him. We have to rely on the medical people to do that and they tell me that everything is extremely positive at this point in time. And he is feeling good so that's the main thing."

Asked about Carter remaining in France for his rehab, Henry said Carter was enjoying his time in France despite the playing setback. He had things he still wanted to do there and that was important in his general well-being and the rehab process.

"If we force him to do things that he might not want to do, I think that would be a negative.

"All those things are being considered because obviously this guy is exceptionally important and every stone is being turned over to make sure the right decision is being made."

Carter's absence has highlighted a problem area in the New Zealand game and there doesn't appear to be a quick-fix at the moment.

"The five-eighths position is an issue isn't it," said Henry who is unlikely to have Carter available for international rugby until the end of year tour at the earliest.

He said there wasn't the depth at 10 and 12 that other positions enjoyed in the New Zealand game.

"There is only one current player in those two positions who has had a large number of tests and that is Ma'a Nonu.

"Stephen Donald has obviously had a bit of a taste of it last year and that is great.

So I think that 10 and 12 area is where we are the skinniest at the moment."

Henry said they would monitor those positions closely during the Super 14.

"The (Super 14) five-eighths are playing reasonably well but it's very early days."

Henry said that at this stage the selectors were looking more for players outside their proven talent who were putting their hands up. They would be looking for the true form to surface in April and May when the championship got into the business end of proceedings.

The lack of depth in this key area meant they were keen to see Piri Weepu further explored as a first five-eighths with the Hurricanes, but not to the detriment of his halfback's play.

"We see him as a nine who can play 10 rather than a 10 who can play nine. He is an outstanding halfback and it would be unfortunate if he loses those skills."

Weepu's versatility was a real asset in squad situations but halfback was a "hugely competitive" position now that Brendon Leonard was back in action for the Chiefs..

As for finding backup for Nonu at second five-eighths, don't rule out a return to New Zealand by former All Black Luke McAlister.

His English club contract at Sale runs out at the end of the current season and he continues to make noises about coming home.

Henry said he had talked regularly with McAlister.

"We are hopeful that he might reconsider and look to play in New Zealand again.

"He's a 12 that can play 10 and that would add to the depth that would add to depth if he could return."
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:41 am

i dont think it will happen but atm Daniel Bowden is in the best form.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am

Personally I think that Weepu would be the best bet. Donald is far too unreliable, and his form when he has started has been atrocious - especially against Munster.

Brett has great attacking potential, but his Defence is a major "Lomu-esque" liability that can and will be taken advantage of by opponents.

Slade is top quality, and I can easily see him in a Black jersey in a year or two, but not yet - the boy's too young.

Bowden and Goppert just don't have the class to take that step.

McAlister would be better utilised as a utility back on the bench, or maybe at 2nd 5 - but I place Nonu ahead of him there.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 pm

not good for weepu to play 10 when thers so much competition in 9. Leonard is back but like Pantherus said his defence is sus and his passes tend to slow the backline down alot. his offence is awesome though

but sayin that in the current market weepu's the only real choice. piri's lack of a huge kick is easily compensated by his rugby savvy and how he runs the offence. I like the way how weepu mixes up his use of backs and forwards and he's always moving to back up on a wraparound, most of the time causing an overlap

mcalistair would b a stop gap 10 if he can get AB match fit and capture his former level of skill speed and power. he'd b reserve 12 though if nonu's fit
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:33 pm

Pantherus wrote:
Personally I think that Weepu would be the best bet. Donald is far too unreliable, and his form when he has started has been atrocious - especially against Munster.

Brett has great attacking potential, but his Defence is a major "Lomu-esque" liability that can and will be taken advantage of by opponents.

Slade is top quality, and I can easily see him in a Black jersey in a year or two, but not yet - the boy's too young.

Bowden and Goppert just don't have the class to take that step.

McAlister would be better utilised as a utility back on the bench, or maybe at 2nd 5 - but I place Nonu ahead of him there.

x2

definitely spot on with Brett, as much as i like him and would like to see him at 10 his defence isn't the greatest. Also about Bowden, i think he has skill, if he was put in the hurricanes/blues backline and was tuned up a bit for the big games, he could be a contentder imo.
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 pm

McAllister wont wear the AB'S jersey this year he has to play NPC first.

I think weepu is the best bet but henry doesn't.

So most likely it will be Donald although i also think bowden is the form first five in the kiwi teams currently.

If you think through the 5 starting 10's currently the blues have no one of all black quality. Slade is a good a player but like p'rus said maybe in a year or two (a world cup prospect) i actually am starting to rate him ahead of Brett.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Agree KK about Slade vs Brett.

I just read this morning that Henry's considering seeing about an exemption for McAlister to not have to play NPC or Super 14 before playing for the ABs...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:27 am

Jimmy G...give him a go, who knows maybe the pressure of the international scene will make him shine, very doubtful though Very Happy

In all seriousness Brett would be my pick, Donald is the most over-rated NZ rugby player since Jerry Collins. Just wish Brett had more game time at 10 for the 'Saders, he has massive potential. I would rather Weepu started or atleast back up half back.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:30 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Jimmy G...give him a go, who knows maybe the pressure of the international scene will make him shine, very doubtful though Very Happy

In all seriousness Brett would be my pick, Donald is the most over-rated NZ rugby player since Jerry Collins. Just wish Brett had more game time at 10 for the 'Saders, he has massive potential. I would rather Weepu started or atleast back up half back.

HEATHEN!!! Anger
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 am

Pantherus wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

HEATHEN!!! Anger

Haha, I knew that call would'nt impress you

Back to top Go down
pedwintheking
Guru
pedwintheking

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 am

Stephen Brett
Back to top Go down
http://www.bringvictory.com

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:13 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:

Hendo i love you this is exactly what i would have said especially the bit were you said donald is overrated grrr i hate him...
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:16 am

Beckham#23 wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

Hendo i love you this is exactly what i would have said especially the bit were you said donald is overrated grrr i hate him...

I love u too

Yea Donald should never have worn a Black Jersey

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:19 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:

On that we agree Smile

Things I never understood from last year:

- Why was Donald retained on the bench even though he never (or barely) got on the field each game?
- Why, in the Munster game, was Donald left on the field even though he was playing like a retarded monkey; while Weepu, the playing Captain and one of their best performers, was subbed off for a debutant with the ABs down...?
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:23 am

Pantherus wrote:
Hendo Maroon wrote:

On that we agree Smile

Things I never understood from last year:

- Why was Donald retained on the bench even though he never (or barely) got on the field each game?
- Why, in the Munster game, was Donald left on the field even though he was playing like a retarded monkey; while Weepu, the playing Captain and one of their best performers, was subbed off for a debutant with the ABs down...?

Donalds performance in the Munster game just infuriated me. He kept losing the ball stupidly and his kicking game was shocking, the little chip kicks in particular.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABs Backup to Carter   ABs Backup to Carter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABs Backup to Carter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com