Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

All Blacks Utility

Go down 
AuthorMessage
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:00 am

Who do you think will get 22 for the All Blacks?

IMO its out of Ellison, Toeava and Jane
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:19 am

I'm picking Toeava. His form has been great and he can legitimately cover any position in the backline. Ellison has the same versatility but IMO doesn't have the oomph to lift up to test level, and Jane misses out since he can only really cover the outsides. I just can't see them skipping Toeava since he's their little pet-project and he's playing well enough to justify being kept.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 7:21 am

Yea i agree with you there, but i would like to see tamati given a run!
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Toeava has been playing well enough to nudge Nonu for a starting spot at 12 imo. But as a utility he is unmatched, plays everything from 10 out, cant ask for much more.
Back to top Go down

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Toeva definitely for me
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 am

40/20 wrote:
Toeava has been playing well enough to nudge Nonu for a starting spot at 12 imo. But as a utility he is unmatched, plays everything from 10 out, cant ask for much more.

Nah, disagree with you there mate. Nonu's been in red hot form of late and his partnership with Conrad (IMO a shoe-in for the ABs 13 jersey) proves the clincher. Toeava will be a great bench utility player and allows the coaches more freedom in their bench options to have Toeava play centres or outsides, and thus can have an outside cover (like Jane) or an inside player (like Kahui).
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:07 am

Yea good point pantherus, although Ellison is in good form aswell and can also play 10 and outwards
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:39 am

Pantherus wrote:
40/20 wrote:

Nah, disagree with you there mate. Nonu's been in red hot form of late and his partnership with Conrad (IMO a shoe-in for the ABs 13 jersey) proves the clincher. Toeava will be a great bench utility player and allows the coaches more freedom in their bench options to have Toeava play centres or outsides, and thus can have an outside cover (like Jane) or an inside player (like Kahui).

I know what you mean by Nonu and Smith's partnership and if one plays then so should the other, I agree. They have the right dynamic for a midfield pairing i.e the power of Nonu complemented by the creativity of Smith - similar to Mauger/Umaga or Little/Bunce.

But I've become a huge fan of Kahui in the last couple of seasons and he would be my choice at centre. I just think he offers more on attack as a stronger ball runner and is definitely stronger on defense. I think he has a huge shot at displacing Smith as the preferred 13 leading into the next WC

And if he does, you then need more creativity at 12 i.e McAlister, who dont forget was the first choice 12 by the time he left, or Toeava who, in my opinion has been hugely impressive since shifting there for the Blues.

Nonu could still offer midfield/wing cover from the bench in that kind of situation too. Its a little bit out of left field, but I'd love to see a midfield pairing of Kahui & Toeava at some stage this year.
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 am

Toeava definatly and he has proved in for the All Blacks already
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Kahui and Toeava could absolutely form a good midfield partnership, and I think we will see it some time this year (Italy to start with maybe?). Kahui could well overtake Smith come 2011, but THIS year Smith still leads. Who knows what will happen in the next 2 years eh? (hey, who would've picked Nonu to be an almost-automatic selection 2 years ago?)

Toeava's problem is still very much that of consistency - he is notorious for being sublime one game, then going invisible the next. He's shown good consistency for the Blues this year which is very promising...

How good is it, though, to go from a complete absence of quality at 13 in the post Umaga-era, to having two world-class players vying for the position? Smile
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 2:40 am

Pantherus wrote:

How good is it, though, to go from a complete absence of quality at 13 in the post Umaga-era, to having two world-class players vying for the position? Smile

Absolutely. Same goes wiith 2nd five too. Was worried that Mauger would leave a big hole especially with Bateman and Brett so far failing to meet expectations.

But with Nonu and McAlister returning we have some really impresive depth in the midfield. Add to that the continued development and maturity in Toeava, and we're looking really, really solid in that area leading into 2011.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 3:17 am

I think our entire backs compliment is really starting to thrive. 10 continues to be a CURRENT problem, we have hordes of potential for post-2011 though; Halfback we are totally spoilt for choice; midfield is bulging, wings have a great mix of tried-and-true and potential future stars, and the same with fullback.

How about a backline of only future potential?

9. Mathewson (marginal since he's already been an AB, but he has 0 test caps so still counts)
10. Bowden
11. D. Smith
12. Jayden Hayward
13. Bateman
14. Masaga / Payne
15. Dagg

Heck - that could be half the Juniors this year Smile
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 7:43 am

Pantherus wrote:
I think our entire backs compliment is really starting to thrive. 10 continues to be a CURRENT problem, we have hordes of potential for post-2011 though; Halfback we are totally spoilt for choice; midfield is bulging, wings have a great mix of tried-and-true and potential future stars, and the same with fullback.

How about a backline of only future potential?

9. Mathewson (marginal since he's already been an AB, but he has 0 test caps so still counts)
10. Bowden
11. D. Smith
12. Jayden Hayward
13. Bateman
14. Masaga / Payne
15. Dagg

Heck - that could be half the Juniors this year Smile

Yes, thats a good point. The makeup of the Juniors will almost be as interesting as the test squad.

With your other post confirming McAlister will be selected in the Juniors initially, they could end up with a very good squad.

Any one know what their itinerary is?
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 5:58 am

Yea, the juniors are gona carve up this year!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

All Blacks Utility Empty
PostSubject: Re: All Blacks Utility   All Blacks Utility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All Blacks Utility
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com