Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Empty
PostSubject: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 9:02 am

SANZAR unveils plans for new extended Super 15 competition

SANZAR has revealed its proposed plans for an extended Super rugby competition that, if successful, will launch in 2011.

A complete overhaul of the current system will see the addition of a 15th Super rugby franchise from the Australia region however not necessarily from Australia.

The 24-week competition will guarantee each team a minimum of eight home matches and a 16-match regular season. A new six-team finals series will include an extra round with two sudden-death qualifiers before the semi-finals.

For the first time in the competition's history teams will be divided into three national conferences of five teams each.

Teams play the other four teams in their conference twice while also playing four out of the five teams from the other two conferences.

The six-team final series will consist of the three conference winners and three wildcard teams with the three wildcard teams and the conference winner with the least competition points to play an elimination round in order to advance to the semi-finals.

The new competition will stretch from the last weekend in February to the first weekend of August with a three-week bye period to accommodate the June international Test schedule.

The Tri-Nations will commence following the "Super 15" final in mid-August.

FULL STORY...

Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:04 am

Yep I read this in the paper this morning.

It looks really look, I like the idea. The paper this morning said that the 5th team is likely to be based in the Gold Coast, Melbourne or Western Sydney. Smile

For the finals series, I read that there would be the top-placed from each pool and then there would be three wildcard entries - it was something like the top three point getters in any pools apart from the three that qualified.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 11:31 am

i really dont think a 5th team in australia would do well but if thats what the aru want then its their own graves they are digging Rolling Eyes

as for the expanded tournament i like it...it looks good and more rugby is the ultimate goal which can only be good Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Brilliant - Aus can't even get a single team into the top four so lets guarantee them some spots!!!

Plus, people are already getting tired of the competition and season being too long, so lets make it longer!!!

AND - let's have a break just when it starts to get interesting for some boring tests against sub-quality NH teams!!!
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Panthers
Administrator
Panthers

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Every sporting code seems to be trying to get a new team to the Gold Coast...

Melbourne will most likely get the new licence in my opinion. I don't think a Gold Coast rugby team would survive. Also on another note if Gold Coast do become the new franchise, would the Reds have to be renamed Brisbane Reds instead of Queensland Reds?

Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Pantherus
am I sensing sarcasm? tho gotta agree
basically whats going to happen is no ones going to watch anyone elses conferences, ie NZ'rs wont watch either the aus or saffa conference and viceversa, cutting down the audience. i doubt anyone in aus is going to watch that conf cos well it'll be so diluted it'll be boring.

by interconf time each countries gonna know whether they have a chance so those that dont (aussie) will lose that entire audience. and qualifying for the interconf is lame as well, isnt it 4 teams from each conf? so to make it thru u just have to suck the least? lame

of course at this stage most people will be sick of what has been up 2 this point really an NPC for each country that we'll lose even more punters. may gain a few at this stage cos it'll finally be a proper superRugby but not much

not to mention that the teams that dont make the interconf will suck even more cos their players wont to get to play another international team. leading to vicious cyclic entropy

then tests will happen and top players will get injured further diluting the quality of superRugby, not to mention that approx 300 players will sit around doing nothing becos approx90 players are called up for test duty. not a level playing field for either as the test players dont get the rest

its dumb. mores not better. and how is giving aus another team supposed to be improving? d4m they suck as it is. this is just gonna be a longer more painful beating of a dead horse.

what happened to the getting the argentinians in or having a pacific team based in japan?
Back to top Go down
Sibs#12
Legend

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:47 am

Yeah Panthers I'm getting sick of all the expansions to the GC. Come on, stop ditching Western Sydney Razz

I have strong belief that we will get it - the Rugby turnout here is amazing, basically my whole group at school plays rugby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition   SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SANZAR unveils new Super Rugby competition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com