Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Carter opts out of Blues deal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
40/20
Professional
40/20

Carter opts out of Blues deal Empty
PostSubject: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10578705

Quote :

The Auckland-based Blues rugby franchise has missed out on snaring the services of All Blacks first five-eighth Dan Carter.

The Canterbury Rugby Union announced late last night that Carter had signed a new contract with the province until the end of 2011. No contract figure was revealed.

Early this week, Carter was reportedly on the verge of signing a contract with the Blues in a deal worth $400,000.

His partner, New Zealand hockey player Honor Dillon, lives in Auckland and Carter told the Herald on Sunday that he was "kind of juggling" where he lived.

Carter, who held a media conference last Friday to announce his arrival back from his ill-fated "sabbatical" to France (he played just five games before rupturing his Achilles tendon), had fended off questions about his rugby future.

Canterbury chief executive Hamish Riach said the province was "absolutely delighted to be able to re-sign Dan until after the next Rugby World Cup".

"While there has been intense media speculation about Dan's future provincial union, our discussions have been positive and constructive throughout and have lead to this agreement.

"Dan is obviously a world-class player and it will be fantastic to have him back. It is quite simply tremendously good news for all who care about Canterbury and Crusaders rugby."

Carter said Christchurch had always been home for him, "so it's great to have re-signed with Canterbury rugby through to 2011".

"I'm looking forward to playing in a red and black jersey again and being part of the province that has given my rugby so much."

Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Unfortunate for the Blues, he would've been the catalyst for finally unlocking the regions potential imo.

But having said that, in a way I'm glad that he's put money on the back burner for this one.
Back to top Go down
KromyD
Guru
KromyD

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:52 pm

I thought we were within a chance of signing Carter, but oh well. I think McAlistar will slot in at #10, Toeava & Tuitavake in the centres.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 10:53 pm

I am surprised he turned down the offer, very much doubt the Blues will get Cowan now.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:05 am

Meh - I didn't think he'd go for it. Reckon it was just typical jaffas blowing smoke up everyone's ar$es Smile
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 12:56 am

Pantherus wrote:
Meh - I didn't think he'd go for it. Reckon it was just typical jaffas blowing smoke up everyone's ar$es Smile

400k worth of smoke... lol

With the infinite benefits of hindsight, I agree it was a longshot as he's always been open about his loyalties to the area.

It does mean though, that Bowden should get a chance to show his wares on the big stage rather than warming the bench behind two All Blacks. Hopefully that benefits the Blues and NZ rugby in the long term.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:05 am

Thats good for the crusaders!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 am

Great Loyalty a good thing is sport. Not enough of it
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Venom wrote:

I wouldn't say Great Loyalty. He did ditch u for a super 14 season to go get money in France.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 10:35 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Venom wrote:

I wouldn't say Great Loyalty. He did ditch u for a super 14 season to go get money in France.

Correction: We let him go to play in france to get money and now he is coming back to show how thankful he was
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carter opts out of Blues deal   Carter opts out of Blues deal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com