Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

ABs vs France - 2nd Test

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
40/20
Professional
40/20

ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:17 am

Pantherus wrote:

I hear ya...SO many people on the Stuff.co.nz comments pages have been suggesting Mils to centre and Jane to fullback (nice that he's getting kudos though) - some people have VERY short memories...

Although to be fair, Mils at centre in itself wasn't really the problem - MacDonald at fullback was. he's a good offensive player, but he is always found out at Fullback when push comes to shove on the tight defensive work...

Yea I agree. Mils is a perfectly adequate centre as you say, but he's also our best 15 by some margin.

That 13 jersey has proven our undoing at 3 consecutive WC's now, I'm really hoping that Smith and Kahui are fit and firing at the right time. Or that some bolter like Sonny Bill steps up between now and then and adds even more depth.

Gees it would be good to be able to pick from Nonu, Smith, Kahui, McAlister and SBW as our midfield combo for 2011.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:

A Quote From Ali Williams

"And you've got to look at the ref. Seventeen unawarded penalties, that's bullshit."

Ali is gold... lol
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:21 am

Yea dam Tana Umaga, I reckon if he was in the 13 for that WC we would of won it, we needed a back that could step up and keep clam under the pressure.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:09 am

Who went to centre in 2003? It was Cullen in '99 wasn't it? (Ironic that it was to let Umaga play on the wing...I think they played 11. Lomu, 13. Cullen, 14. Umaga, 15. Wilson - when it would've been SO much better to have 11. Lomu, 13. Umaga, 14. Wilson, 15. Cullen...oh well, glory of hindsight)
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 am

Leon MacDonald was 13 in 2003 I believe with Mils at fullback.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:37 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Leon MacDonald was 13 in 2003 I believe with Mils at fullback.

Ugh - useless git.

Let's swap them around 4 years later - brilliant!!
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 5:48 am

Haha how bad did they get that '99 backline. A backline with Lomu, Cullen, Umaga, Wilson, Marshall and Mehrtens should be unbeatable.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 am

9. Marshall
10. Mehrtens
11. Lomu
12. Alatini? Ieremia? (who??)
13. Umaga
14. Wilson
15. Cullen

That's f*cking world class there!!
Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 am

All Blacks by 10
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:12 am

Pantherus wrote:
9. Marshall
10. Mehrtens
11. Lomu
13. Umaga
14. Wilson
15. Cullen

Yea massive line up, think 12 was contested between those 2 and Darryl Gibson.

Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:22 am

Feels like i'm spying on the All Blacks here. All blacks to win by plenty in this one imo.
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:18 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Pantherus wrote:
9. Marshall
10. Mehrtens
11. Lomu
13. Umaga
14. Wilson
15. Cullen

Yea massive line up, think 12 was contested between those 2 and Darryl Gibson.

Yep, Ieremia started that 99 game and Gibson subbed on. But I think the others played in other positions because that year was the time Hart decided to play Cully at centre and Tana didnt move there till the end of 00.

9-Marshall
10-Mehrtens
11-Lomu
12-Ieremia
13-Cullen
14-Umaga
15-Wilson
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:20 am

Thats still a hell of a line up though. 4 of the best attacking players ever to pull on a rugby jersey, let alone an All Black one.

And we still messed up.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:46 am

40/20 wrote:

Yep, Ieremia started that 99 game and Gibson subbed on. But I think the others played in other positions because that year was the time Hart decided to play Cully at centre and Tana didnt move there till the end of 00.

9-Marshall
10-Mehrtens
11-Lomu
12-Ieremia
13-Cullen
14-Umaga
15-Wilson

Yeah I know - I was showing what it SHOULD have been Smile
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:18 am

Pantherus wrote:
40/20 wrote:

9-Marshall
10-Mehrtens
11-Lomu
12-Ieremia
13-Cullen
14-Umaga
15-Wilson

Yeah I know - I was showing what it SHOULD have been Smile

Ah I see... yep, fully agree on that one if thats the case. Smile

Although Tana was tearing it up as winger back then wasnt he? I remember when he first moved into centre and struggled initially, there was a comment in the papers that we had just turned the worlds best winger into an average midfielder.

Mind still boggles over how much talent was in that backline. Absolutely staggering that we couldnt win that one
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am

We did have a relatively new forward back though, guys like Olo Brown, Sean Fitzpatrick, Michael Jones and Zinzan Brooke had recently left us. Taine Randell was our captain and although he was a great player John Hart definitely dropped him in the deep end, he would of had a much more successful career had he been given a few more years in the ABs before leading the side. I think he was only like 24 when he was captain.

Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
We did have a relatively new forward back though, guys like Olo Brown, Sean Fitzpatrick, Michael Jones and Zinzan Brooke had recently left us. Taine Randell was our captain and although he was a great player John Hart definitely dropped him in the deep end, he would of had a much more successful career had he been given a few more years in the ABs before leading the side. I think he was only like 24 when he was captain.

Yea thats a good point. I forgot that we had just come off 5 straight losses in 98 before that WC didnt we. Or maybe it was a case of not wanting to remember... lol

And I guess even the most talented players can struggle when out of position and Cully, as good as he was, hadnt had much experience at 13.

Fully agree on Randell. I'm sure Hart didnt mean to, but he ultimately contributed to what was one of the most unfulfilled careers in recent times I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:08 am

Yea '98 was a crap year for us, Ian Jones was another one who's career were pretty much over when the '99 WC started.

Yea you cant blame Hart, there wasn't many other options for captain, maybe Marhsall (but he was only in his 3rd All Black season). Was gutted for Taine when that dickhead Mitchell and his bum buddy Deans dropped him for who else but Ron Cribb!!, he was the first to go, Mehrtens, Wilson and Cullen weren't far behind.

Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:23 am

Yea, the way they treated guys like Cullen and Randell was abominable. Deans and Mitchell can both hand back their passports and emigrate for good as far as I'm concerned.

Makes me laugh whenever the Aussies and the anti-Henry brigade go on about how wonderful Deans supposedly is. They've all forgotten that he's already lost a WC.

He may have technically been only the assistant coach but both Tana and Cully mention in their books they felt that Deans really ran the show and Mitchell was just a figurehead.

The Aussies are welcome to them both.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 am

Agree I hate them both and have since they got rid of Cullen and my fav player ever Jeff Wilson.

Henry is a better coach then both of them.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:12 am

Agreed - both dicks. Put it this way - Blackadder got the Crusaders through to the semis - and he's hardly a 1st rate coach...
Back to top Go down
40/20
Professional
40/20

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:26 am

You know, looking back on that 99 AB team I've just realised somthing.

In the last 3 WC's that we've choked on, there's one guy who has featured in all 3 of those games we ended up losing - Byron Kelleher.

He subbed on for Marshall in both 99 & 03 and of course was the starting half in 07.

Never realised that till now. The man is clearly cursed. Its all his fault.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:23 pm

but we cant blame Byron for the '95 and '91 losses

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 3:36 am

I'd blame Leonard for '07 more than Kelleher.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 am

Tonights the night! Time for some All Blacks revenge.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABs vs France - 2nd Test   ABs vs France - 2nd Test - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABs vs France - 2nd Test
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com