Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Player of the Tour

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:39 am

Who was your player of the northern tour for your team, and why?

For the ABs, I would say Ma'a Nonu; mostly because he's come so incredibly far since the start of the Super 14 (where he wasn't even trusted in the Hurricanes midfield, let alone the AB's) to be a regular starter with a monopoly on the 12 jersey - and not just due to Carter and Smith guiding him (as I orginally felt) since he's played just as well outside Donald and inside Kahui and Toeava. Here's hoping he can maintain that through to next year.

For the best "he'll be right there next year" player, I'd say Keiran Read. He elbowed his way towards the front of the flanker queue and is tapping Kaino on the shoulder asking him to move as well. A solid season with the Crusaders should edge him up to join McCaw and So'oialo in the back row.

With the Rugby season officially over (but for the Barbarians game against the Wallabies) - I imagine this page will go into hibernation for a long while and RugbyHeaven will go to sleep also - what am I going to read at work?!?!
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 am

Never fair Pantherus Off Topic is always amping!!

as for the player of the tour I have to agree on Ma'a Nonu. He was in great form through out the tour probably the best form we have seen him in, especially while playing in a black jersey.

Undcecided on the best he'll be right there next year player as I prefer Messam over Read. Maybe Hosea Gear not because of the form he had but how bad the form of Sivivatu has.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Never fair Pantherus Off Topic is always amping!!

as for the player of the tour I have to agree on Ma'a Nonu. He was in great form through out the tour probably the best form we have seen him in, especially while playing in a black jersey.

Undcecided on the best he'll be right there next year player as I prefer Messam over Read. Maybe Hosea Gear not because of the form he had but how bad the form of Sivivatu has.

6 will be a very interesting position to watch in next year's super competition. 4 of NZ's 5 teams have their 6 in the ABs (unless Thomson plays 7) with the Canes the only side without a quality 6 - either Vito or Levave probably, neither of whom exactly gets your blood going.

Halfback will also be interesting - with Weepu, Cowan, Leonard, Ellis and Moa likely to be the respective starters - only Moa lacking in ABs experience, plus Mathewson hanging around as well.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 am

Yea if only Alby didnt have to contest with Weepu for starting position at the Canes. When he started for the Lions in the Air NZ Cup was when he was most impressive, If Alby were a Chief or a Blues, he would get the starting spot.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:08 am

Hendo Maroon wrote:
Yea if only Alby didnt have to contest with Weepu for starting position at the Canes. When he started for the Lions in the Air NZ Cup was when he was most impressive, If Alby were a Chief or a Blues, he would get the starting spot.

Moreso the Blues since Leonard will be back (though I think only slightly more of him than I do of Ellis) - but yeah, I can see the Canes doing similar to the Lions, with Alby getting regular game time either subbing Weepu straight for Halfback, or subbing the 1st 5 (then Kirkpatrick, now Ripia) and shifting Weepu out to 10.
Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 6:24 am

Ma'a Nonu player of the tour closely followed by Mealamu and Williams.
Back to top Go down
BlackCaps
Guru
BlackCaps

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 4:45 am

Mealamu after replacing Hore in the starting line-up he has improved each game
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 am

Warriors4lyf wrote:
Mealamu after replacing Hore in the starting line-up he has improved each game

Yeah - Mealamu improved hugely since the 3N when he was way below his best. Should be a good struggle between them for next year's starting spot, with Elliot and maybe Flynn (if his arm heals) eager to stake their own claims.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 8:09 am

Im gonna have to say Ma'a Nonu he has improved so much this year !
Back to top Go down
Maccapacca
Professional
Maccapacca

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 3:40 am

Ma'Nonu by far
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:08 am

I think Weepu deserves a mention too, hes over taken Cowan IMO
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:03 pm

Tru bout Weepu. Nonu grew and has come along way from being the pariah of the WC then this year he's become the senior member of the back line.

but Weepu has upped his game so much in the 9 and 10 jersey. in the munster game despite being under loads of pressure he stayed calm and pulled our a55es outta the fire a couple times and had awesome damage control. thats the upside of playing for the canes, u know how to handle it when your forward pack is goin backwards and getting d!cked.
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Keith Quinn wrote:
The rugby player who caught my eye in 2008
For me it was Piri Weepu. Everything he touched turned to gold. He captained the All Blacks, the NZ Maori, and Wellington this season. He was in the winning teams for the Ranfurly Shield, the Tri Nations and the Grand Slam tour. He captained the All Blacks one time. Against Wales when he came off the reserves bench he put in three magnificent dive-passes to see the All Black backs away. Wales struggled thereafter and the game was won for New Zealand.

Weepu got into shape, proudly led the haka superbly and turned the tables on Coach Graham Henry who you recall did not want Weepu in his 2007 World Cup team?
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/the-keith-quinn-sports-awards-2008-2429012

got the upmost respect for Keith Quinn and he's not wrong
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:59 am

mania wrote:
Keith Quinn wrote:
The rugby player who caught my eye in 2008
For me it was Piri Weepu. Everything he touched turned to gold. He captained the All Blacks, the NZ Maori, and Wellington this season. He was in the winning teams for the Ranfurly Shield, the Tri Nations and the Grand Slam tour. He captained the All Blacks one time. Against Wales when he came off the reserves bench he put in three magnificent dive-passes to see the All Black backs away. Wales struggled thereafter and the game was won for New Zealand.

Weepu got into shape, proudly led the haka superbly and turned the tables on Coach Graham Henry who you recall did not want Weepu in his 2007 World Cup team?
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/the-keith-quinn-sports-awards-2008-2429012

got the upmost respect for Keith Quinn and he's not wrong

Yea! He lives Down my steet. And he knows my name Very Happy

I think Weepu is the best halfback going around atm.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 am

Starting HB will definitely be an interesting position to pick for next year - Weepu and Cowan are the front runners, but Brendon Leonard should be back in action and Andy Ellis has a wounded ego he'll be eager to heal - though I don't rate those last 2 at all.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 am

I use to rate Ellis but after this season hes the 5th or 6th best halfback IMO, i rate moa higher than him at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:16 am

Indeed - IMO Weepu and Cowan are just fighting for the 9 jersey, with Leonard, Moa, Mathewson and Ellis competing for the backup role - Mathewson is the frontrunner IMO, Leonard needs to start completely from scratch after a year off, and Moa is the black sheep of the lot.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:18 am

Yea !I think Weepu is just infront atm, but anythng could happen in the super 14.

i think matthewson is the front runner out of those four aswell but he could just miss out beacaue he will be on the bench for the canes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Player of the Tour Empty
PostSubject: Re: Player of the Tour   Player of the Tour Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Player of the Tour
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | Sports and Hobbies | Collectives sports | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com