Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

French out to get Jonah

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

French out to get Jonah Empty
PostSubject: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 12:56 am

Jonah Lomu will be targeted for the bash when he makes his comeback in France.
That's the warning from a rugby boss at Marseille, where the All Blacks legend will attempt to revive his career.
The 34-year-old has signed with third division French club Marseille Vitrolles on a contract estimated to be worth at least four times the competition's average salary for "star" imports.
Even though it is seven years since he played his 63rd and final test, Lomu remains a huge rugby hero in France.
But Marseille Rugby vice-president Lionel Totini said that won't stop rival players putting a bullseye on him.
"I hope physically Jonah Lomu is able to play in the French third division, because every week the French players will `fight' against JL," Totini told Sunday News from Marseille.
And Lomu's ex-manager, Phil Kingsley-Jones, said he was thrilled at the comeback but the giant wing would have to be wary of French journeymen keen to "make a name for themselves".
"I don't blame him but I worry," Kingsley-Jones told Sunday News. "You always have that danger.
"He can look after himself but in saying that there is a bloody lot of idiots out there. And French rugby is not sunny rugby."
Lomu's signing will break previous contract records in the French third division.
Imports normally earn a maximum $25,000 a season in the lower league, as well as being provided with the use of a modest car and three-star accommodation.
But it is understood Marseille Vitrolles will provide Lomu with luxury accommodation overlooking the Mediterranean.
Ford is one of the club's major sponsors and the company is likely to hand him the keys to a top-of-the-line vehicle.
Totini said Lomu would be a major crowd-puller in a city which also housed world-famous football club Olympic Marseille.
"It's good for Marseille to have an opportunity to show we can create a great rugby club in our city," he said.
"And if JL is on top form, the stadium will be full and the whole media will want to show JL playing well. JL's one of the best legends in the rugby world."
Kingsley-Jones said while Lomu would undoubtedly put bums on seats and spike sales of club jerseys, his comeback "can't be about money".
"He feels that he hasn't done all he can in rugby. He is not doing it for the money. I know he has a love of the game and he still feels that he can achieve something."
Lomu, who played for North Harbour and Welsh club Cardiff after undergoing a kidney transplant in 2004, has said he never quit top-line rugby but took time out to be with partner Nadene Quirk during her pregnancy and recent birth of their son, Braylee.

"I decided to take a sabbatical year to be there during my partner's pregnancy, to experience this moment which is so important in a man's life," Jonah said.
"Everyone thought I had stopped my career, but it was a mistake. I always feel the need to play and only I will decide when it will be the end."
Marseille Vitrolles has also signed fellow former All Black Isitola Maka.

Clearly just a money maker for both parties, having a star like Lomu brings in a lot of people to the games, and Lomu gets lots of coin too plus a mint car and a sweet place to live.

Lomu for ABs RWC 2011, you heard it here first.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:23 am

Sheesh - why can't the man just accept he's past it? He embarrasses himself by constantly trying to "revive" his career. It's always better to go out on a high note.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:25 am

Put yourself in his shoes, he has the opportunity to make a lot of money playing the game he loves. I'd do it.

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:59 am

I think he'd be better off doing publicity and marketing stuff (taking advantage of his reputation that way) rather than potentially embarrassing himself by being shown up on the field. Think about it, you're know as being a giant of a player who was nigh on unstoppable...how bad would it be to then see you try a come-back and be totally shown up?
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 am

Fair point but that man clearly loves playing rugby. who knows he could come back and be amazing, a mate of mine spotted him at a gym in Welly not long ago and said he looked more like a bodybuilder then a rugby player. Chuck him at the back of the scrum I reckon.

Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 am

He is to old and shouldnt even be trying this stuff but thankfully its not over here, So hopefully we wont have to see how bad he now is.
Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 6:55 am

hope he doenst get injured.
Back to top Go down
Damo
Guru
Damo

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 5:47 pm

The third divisions of French Rugby are dirty and terrible.

Bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: French out to get Jonah   French out to get Jonah Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

French out to get Jonah
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com