Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Top 5 Players In Each Postion

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 pm

George Smith is known in all facets as an openside flanker. However he is hugely versatile and has played many tests at 6 and even 8 to huge effect - but 7 is his preferred position.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 am

I dont know if much more needed to be said, Hendo had already put up a strong argument. Hardly malicious comments, just a joke. But he has definitely spent the majority of his time in the 7 jersey
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:04 am

As for Damo's loose trio - switch Burger and Smith around (so 6. Burger, 7. McCaw, 8. Smith) and you've got a damn nice trio...
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:09 am

Yea better option to have 2 players playing in their preferred position instead of 1 and Smith would go better at 8 than Burger
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:32 am

Spies > Smith at 8 any day.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 am

Probably true - but Spies doesn't do it for me at test level so far...
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:40 am

Yea I agree, just making that trio better with Smith at 8 though. Dunno about So'oialo being that high on your list Hendo. Hasn't been in stellar form
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:47 am

I think Spies is the only outstanding number 8 in the world, Rodeny and the rest on the list are great players. Back in the days of there were heaps of awesome no.8s, Toutai Kefu, Zinzan Brooke, Lawrence Dallaglio. None of the current players come close to these 3.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:49 am

Kefu was great on rugby 2000 haha. Looks as though Rodney may make way for Read this week though, just hasnt recaptured the form of the last few years. Will be interesting to see the team named
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:51 am

I hope Rodney keeps his starting spot, we need to keep some senior players in that side.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:55 am

I think Read has proved recently that he is up to test match rugby. Even if Rodney is dropped he we still be on the bench and get a good run at the end, which is where we needed the experience last game
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:38 am

Much as that changover is possible, you need to note that the article on stuff suggesting it is written by an out and out One-Eyed Cantab who would be pushing for Andy Ellis to start if that argument had a leg to stand on...
Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:45 am

Haha yep. Scott Hamilton being one of the overseas players being targeted to be brought back is as likely as Ellis being back in the All Blacks anytime soon
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 am

enough of the loose forwards, is there any other positions you disagree on?

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:50 am

Conrad should be ahead of Mortlock, pushing O'Driscoll for top spot.
Still think Cowan is our best halfback
Kaino probably be a bit higher. Playing brilliantly
Rate Brad Thorn over Williams, mainly because he is a tough beast

Just a few small things really, pretty great list, well thought out
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:08 am

Disagree with your wings - but can't think how to place them myself. Don't rate Sivivatu, and think you're being unfair to Drew Mitchell who is a class player.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:49 am

chrishbhs wrote:
Conrad should be ahead of Mortlock, pushing O'Driscoll for top spot.
Still think Cowan is our best halfback
Kaino probably be a bit higher. Playing brilliantly
Rate Brad Thorn over Williams, mainly because he is a tough beast

Just a few small things really, pretty great list, well thought out

Pantherus wrote:
Disagree with your wings - but can't think how to place them myself. Don't rate Sivivatu, and think you're being unfair to Drew Mitchell who is a class player.

Yea went a bit easy on Mortlock, he's been a great player in the past, but definitely nowhere near as good as he used to be, so your probably right. Although, O'Driscoll proved he is by far the best center in the first and second lions test. In the first in particular, the rest of the team was playing crap but he looked so dangerous.

Yea Kaino is in great form, but still don't think he is up to the standard of the 4 above him, could maybe slip him up over Brussouw.

Williams adds so much to our line up, now doubt Thorn is a beast, but when it comes to the key roles of a lock, Williams has them covered where Thorn struggles in some areas.

Weepu and Cowan I reckon are very evenly matched, I just feel Weepu gets the side going forward a lot better, adds a spark into the attack and is marginally better with the boot. The modern day half back needs a decent kicking game I reckon.

The wings were tough as I would love to put Joe in their but he has been in poor form for some time now. Sivi had an awesome Super 14, thats why he is so high. And yea I don't rate Mitchell, but maybe I being to hard on him because he's a Wallaby.

Back to top Go down
chrishbhs
Professional
chrishbhs

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 am

Against Australia I thought Cowan demonstrated he had the far superior kicking game, kicked really well tactically whereas Weepu seemed to be kicking aimlessly, didn't do too well against SA too
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 4:11 am

You see...that's what I don't get...Sivivatu did NOT have a fantastic S14 at all IMO...

He did nothing at all for the first 6 or so weeks, had a great game against Auckland with 4 (or 3?) tries and I think the next game did well too...then got injured and was basically nothing in the finals...
Back to top Go down
mania
Professional
mania

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:36 pm

sivi had a great s14, scored some tries that came from no where. he's had all right tests, hasnt penetrated much but has had a go heaps. but other than conrad the entire backlines been quiet

rodney played two great tests IMO. his fist test back vs aus he deserved player of the day. his work load was amazing considering he had a month off

reads all right, but plays too loose and hangs out in the backs too much instead of attacking the rucks and mauls. lose rodney then mccaw has to do all the dirty work and the backs will end up with fuk all ball.

i cannot understand where this latest bs is coming from to promote read to start. he doesnt have the balls to take on the big boys. in the munster game he was out muscled. he struggles in the tight stuff. in that test in aus he fielded a couple deep kicks (knocked on the 2nd one)....wat the fuk was he doing back there in the first (and second) place? he's a forward

dont get me wrong he has good facets to his game. high work load good realiable tackler but with the forward dynamics we need mongrels like mccaw, rodney and hore doing the dirty work (attacking, probing and burying their heads in a rucks n mauls, protecting the ball, clearing out, driving mauls, getting turnovers etc) . reads good for the 2nd phase when the balls been secured already.

dan carters a great player (could be the best 1st5 NZ's ever produced), but mccaw's the best in the world, though at this stage he's slowly getting back to form.

georgeSmith is a 7. whats damo on? needs smarties. georgeSmith is the best aussie forward since simonPoidevin

stat that damo missed re smith vs mccaw. ABs win rate over 100+ years of rugby is 80%. mccaw as captain 90%

piri's hard done by and is better than cowan (and light years ahead of ellis and leonard). has a solid defense, has more options on attack and the team moves forward better when he's on the field.

cowan hits harder

nice list hendo, i'd try and think something up but some of us gotta work
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Players In Each Postion   Top 5 Players In Each Postion - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Players In Each Postion
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com